Skip to content
Briefings are running a touch slower this week while we rebuild the foundations.See roadmap
Iran Conflict 2026
3APR

Iran offers Hormuz first; US rejects

4 min read
11:45UTC

Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi told Sultan Haitham in Muscat on Sunday and Vladimir Putin in St Petersburg on Monday that Tehran will reopen the Strait of Hormuz before any nuclear settlement. The Trump administration rejected the framing the same day.

ConflictDeveloping
Key takeaway

Iran offered Hormuz reopening before any nuclear deal; Washington rejected the framing and produced no counter-text.

Abbas Araghchi, Iran's Foreign Minister, told Sultan Haitham in Muscat on Sunday 26 April and Vladimir Putin in St Petersburg on Monday 27 April that Iran will reopen the Strait of Hormuz before any nuclear settlement, decoupling two tracks Tehran's prior position had bound together . The State Department rejected the framing the same day, with officials telling the Associated Press the Hormuz proposal 'doesn't address the core issue' of nuclear weapons 1. Pakistan now holds a written three-phase Iranian text that sequences Hormuz reopening and the lift of the US blockade first; nuclear talks come 'later' .

The Strait of Hormuz carries roughly a fifth of seaborne crude and a third of LNG; the blockade Tehran has run since the IRGC closure on Day 1 is what Brent has been pricing for sixty days. Tehran's prior position, held since the Islamabad round collapsed, bound the strait to nuclear so that any de-escalation produced both at once. The text now in Pakistan's hands separates them. Iran is offering to lift the blockade without first locking in the nuclear settlement Trump has named as his only public condition for ending the war.

The sequencing mirrors the Joint Plan of Action Iran and the P5+1 signed in November 2013, which front-loaded reversible enrichment caps so that an instrument could be signed without resolving final-status weapons questions; that architecture later ratified the 2015 deal. The 2026 offer has the same shape. The Trump administration has not staffed a final-status negotiating team, has signed no Iran executive instrument across sixty days and has produced no counterpart text. The War Powers Resolution clock corrected on 22 April runs out at 12:01 EDT on Friday 1 May; three days from close on Tuesday.

A counter-reading is worth flagging: the IRGC controls the strait, so the offer's operational delivery is uncertain and may be theatrical, designed to put rejection on Washington's record while protecting the nuclear file. The structural shift survives that critique. Iran's prior text linked the two files; the text now in Pakistan's hands separates them. Whether Tehran would deliver is one question; whether Tehran has rewritten the deal on offer is a separate one, and on the second question the answer is yes.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

Iran has offered to reopen the world's most important oil shipping lane without waiting for a nuclear deal first. Previously, Iran said nuclear talks and the strait had to be resolved together. The White House said no, because it wants the nuclear issue settled first. Three days remain on the legal clock that started the war.

Deep Analysis
Root Causes

The Hormuz-first offer emerged from a structural constraint inside Tehran, not from diplomatic generosity. Araghchi's civilian track cannot deliver nuclear concessions because nuclear authority sits with Mojtaba Khamenei and the IRGC. The Foreign Ministry can only offer what it controls: the diplomatic framing around Hormuz. Separating the strait from nuclear talks is therefore the only concession the Foreign Ministry can make unilaterally.

The White House rejection reflects a parallel structural constraint: without a staffed National Security Council Iran policy process , vacant since Witkoff and Kushner's Pakistan trip stood down on 25 April , accepting the Hormuz-first framing would require the President personally to sign an instrument with no interagency review behind it. The administration has not produced that kind of Iran paper in 60 days.

What could happen next?
  • Consequence

    Pakistan now holds a written three-phase Iranian ceasefire text with no US counterpart instrument to receive it; if 1 May passes empty, the text's value depreciates as a negotiating anchor.

    Immediate · 0.85
  • Risk

    European Northwood Hormuz framework becomes the operational default if no US instrument arrives before 1 May, embedding European legal preferences (UNCLOS transit passage, NATO proportionality doctrine) as the baseline.

    Short term · 0.75
  • Precedent

    Iran's written separation of Hormuz from nuclear tracks gives any future US administration a structurally easier entry point: accept the 2026 text as the interim phase rather than reopening from zero.

    Medium term · 0.7
First Reported In

Update #82 · Iran writes Phase 1; Washington still has no pen

PBS NewsHour· 28 Apr 2026
Read original
Different Perspectives
IAEA
IAEA
Director General Rafael Grossi appeared in person at the UNSC on 19 May and warned that a direct hit on an operating reactor 'could result in very high release of radioactivity'. The session produced a condemnation record but no resolution, and the Barakah perimeter was already struck on 17 May.
Hengaw (Kurdish rights monitor)
Hengaw (Kurdish rights monitor)
Hengaw documented three judicial executions and the detention of Kurdish writer Majid Karimi in Tehran on 19 May, establishing Khorasan Razavi province as the newest geography in Iran's wartime judicial record. The organisation's Norway-based operation continues to surface a domestic repression track running in parallel with every diplomatic and military development.
India
India
Six India-flagged vessels conducted a coordinated cluster transit under PGSA bilateral assurances during the 17 May window, paying no yuan tolls. New Delhi's inclusion in Iran's state-to-state passage track insulates Indian energy supply without requiring endorsement of the PGSA's yuan-toll architecture or alignment with the US coalition.
Pakistan
Pakistan
Pakistan is the only functioning diplomatic bridge between Tehran and Washington. Its role is relay, not mediation in the settlement sense: it conveyed Iran's 10-point counter-MOU in early May, relayed the US rejection, and is now passing 'corrective points' in the third documented exchange of this sub-cycle without either side working from a shared text.
UK and France (Northwood coalition)
UK and France (Northwood coalition)
Twenty-six coalition members have published no rules of engagement eight days after the Bahrain joint statement; Lloyd's underwriters have conditioned war-risk reopening on written ROE from either Iran or the coalition. Italian and French mine-countermeasures deployments are operating on the in-water clearance task CENTCOM Admiral Brad Cooper's 90% mine-stockpile claim does not address.
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia
Riyadh has not publicly commented on the Barakah strike or the 50-47 discharge vote. Saudi output feeds the IEA's $106 base case; the $5 Brent premium above that model reflects institutional uncertainty no Gulf producer can compress through supply adjustment alone.