Skip to content
You can now search across every topic, entity and event.What's new
Iran Conflict 2026
19AUG

Rubio names Hormuz tolls a deal-killer

4 min read
18:42UTC

Secretary of State Marco Rubio called Iran's Hormuz toll system "completely illegal" on 21 May; Pakistan Army Chief Asim Munir cancelled his planned Tehran visit the same day, with uranium, sequencing and Hormuz tolls cited as the three sticking points.

ConflictDeveloping
Key takeaway

Three actors, one mechanism, no movement: Washington's red line, Tehran's chart and Islamabad's cancellation arrived on the same Thursday.

Secretary of State Marco Rubio told reporters on Thursday 21 May that any Iranian toll system at the strait of Hormuz "can't happen, it would be unacceptable and it would make a diplomatic deal unfeasible", adding that the mechanism is "completely illegal" 1. The National News carried the remarks. It is the first time a cabinet officer has named the Persian Gulf Strait Authority (PGSA) architecture by function as an absolute red line on the record. The US position hardens at the exact moment Iran's claim moves into cartography.

Pakistan Army Chief Asim Munir was due in Tehran on the same day and cancelled the trip. Pakistani media analysis citing Iranian commentators identified three issues blocking the visit 2: the uranium stockpile, where Trump wants it out of Iran and Khamenei has now ordered it stays; the sequencing of any deal, with Iran wanting a 30-day ceasefire and blockade lift before nuclear talks while Washington wants nuclear concessions first; and Hormuz tolls , called a deal-killer by Rubio the same day Munir was meant to fly. Pakistan's Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi made a second Tehran visit in a week as a relay, not as a mediator.

Tehran's coordinate publication on 20 May had moved the Hormuz dispute onto a chart the day before Rubio's remarks. Rubio's red line therefore arrives at the point of maximum diplomatic cost: the Pakistan relay had been the channel where the toll question might have been parked for later sequencing. With Iran's chart on one side and a US cabinet officer on the other, the relay loses its only remaining bridge.

Three actors moved on Thursday: the US named its red line, Iran moved its claim onto a chart, and Pakistan removed the senior officer with a bridging mandate. The Lloyd's market consequence runs through the Joint Hull Committee's coalition-ROE precondition , which now collides with PGSA-published coordinates the coalition cannot endorse without conceding sovereignty. Nobody currently in the room has a mandate that survives that collision.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

Pakistan has been acting as a go-between for the US and Iran, passing messages back and forth because the two countries refuse to talk directly. Pakistan's Army Chief Asim Munir had a trip planned to Tehran on 21 May to try to advance talks. On the same day, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio gave a press conference in which he called Iran's plan to charge ships to pass through the Strait of Hormuz 'completely illegal' and said it would make a deal impossible. That was the third item blocking Munir's trip; along with the disagreement over where Iran's uranium stockpile should be held, and a dispute about which side has to make concessions first. Munir cancelled. Pakistan's Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi made a lesser visit to Tehran instead, described as a relay rather than a negotiating session. The channel is still technically open but the three blocking issues are now more entrenched, not less, after Thursday.

Deep Analysis
Root Causes

Pakistan's structural inability to bridge a deal where neither side accepts the other's precondition sequencing derives from Islamabad's own dependency constraints. Pakistan holds an IMF programme and is highly sensitive to US Treasury positioning; it cannot afford to antagonise Washington sufficiently to force a compromise.

Simultaneously, Pakistan has deep historical ties to Iran's clerical establishment and cannot afford to deliver a deal Tehran reads as capitulation. Munir's Army Chief role compounds this: he represents the institution that must manage the India-Pakistan border, the Afghanistan dynamic and Iran simultaneously, and a deal that weakens Iran too much changes Pakistan's eastern and western security calculus in ways the army, not the foreign ministry, decides.

Rubio's Friday statement added the PGSA toll architecture as an explicit US red line on the same day Munir was expected in Tehran.

That timing is not coincidental in the reading of Pakistani analysts: a cabinet officer naming a new red line on the day the army chief is flying creates a public record that makes the visit politically untenable for Munir; any meeting after Rubio's statement would be read in Islamabad as Munir attempting to negotiate an item the US has explicitly declared non-negotiable.

What could happen next?
  • Consequence

    With Munir cancelled and Rubio's red line on the record, the Pakistan relay loses its principal asset: the ability to carry formulations that neither side has publicly committed to. A relay that routes through a named red line cannot carry a proposal around that red line; it can only confirm it.

    Immediate · Assessed
  • Risk

    If the Pakistan channel stalls, the most likely alternative back-channels are Oman (which brokered 2013) and Qatar (which Trump cited when pulling the 18 May strike). Neither has the military-to-military credibility with Iran's IRGC that Pakistan's army holds. Switching channels loses time and introduces a new interlocutor who must rebuild IRGC trust.

    Short term · Assessed
  • Risk

    If Iran proceeds to collect PGSA tolls before any diplomatic resolution, Rubio's 'completely illegal' statement commits the US to a public legal position it must either back with enforcement action or abandon; both outcomes damaging to the diplomatic envelope.

    Short term · Assessed
First Reported In

Update #105 · Khamenei keeps the uranium; House pulls the vote

The National News· 22 May 2026
Read original
Different Perspectives
UK Maritime Trade Operations
UK Maritime Trade Operations
UKMTO logged six armed men boarding a tanker 136 nautical miles east of Al Mukalla on 20 August and redirecting it toward Somalia. A vessel steered toward the Somali coast reads as an attempted seizure, a distinct hazard from the stand-off strikes the same lane has seen before.
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf
Iran's Majlis speaker received Iraq's Hormuz carve-out request in Baghdad on 19 August, a request that treats passage as Tehran's to grant. Ghalibaf's authority over that grant sits alongside the Revolutionary Guard's separate transit rules, which have moved independently of Iran's foreign ministry before.
Haibat al-Halbousi
Haibat al-Halbousi
Iraq's parliament speaker asked Iran for special consideration on Iraqi Hormuz oil exports during Ghalibaf's 19 August Baghdad visit. Iraq presses the request from a weak position: Iran's central bank is simultaneously demanding Baghdad release Iranian reserves parked in Iraqi accounts.
Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research
Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research
Switzerland's economics ministry updated the Article 21 forms governing lawful Iran money transfers on 19 August, with only the revised forms accepted from 26 August. Bern operates one of the few remaining legal Iran payment channels and has just set a hard cutover on its control point.
Motegi Toshimitsu
Motegi Toshimitsu
Japan's foreign minister said in Muscat on 20 August that Tokyo wants closer coordination with Oman on safe Hormuz and Bab el-Mandeb passage. Japan has no naval presence of its own in the strait, so it is routing the ask through the state negotiating with Iran instead.
Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi
Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi
Oman's foreign minister joined Japan's in Muscat on 20 August to call for intensified coordination on Hormuz and Bab el-Mandeb navigation. Oman also runs the mediation track with Tehran, so the appeal travels through the same channel as the negotiation.