Skip to content
You can now search across every topic, entity and event.What's new
Iran Conflict 2026
17AUG

Trump calls off the Sunday strike

3 min read
15:37UTC

Trump billed the strike as "Military Terror, Strength, and Power not seen since World War II", then dropped it after Mohammed bin Salman argued the Gulf would wear Iran's answer.

ConflictDeveloping
Key takeaway

A Saudi phone call stopped an American strike that Congress and the Pentagon could not.

Donald Trump cancelled a strike on Iran set for Sunday 2 August, hours after posting on Truth Social that the United States was "locked and loaded and ready to go against the Islamic Republic of Iran, at levels of Military Terror, Strength, and Power not seen since World War II" 1. He held off at the request of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, according to the Associated Press account carried by Al Jazeera 2. Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman made the case himself, telling Trump that an Iranian answer landing on Gulf states would reach the global economy 3. By Trump's own telling, unnamed Iranian officials asked for the halt as well 4.

Every previous brake on this campaign came from inside the American government. General Dan Caine, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, warned Trump about munitions stocks in late July and the bombing stopped . The Senate then refused to bind the President under the War Powers Resolution , the 1973 statute that gives a president two days to notify Congress he has sent forces into hostilities and 60 days to bring them home without its authorisation. This halt carries a foreign head of state's name instead, which changes who a shipowner, an insurer or a Gulf finance ministry has to lobby to move an American strike calendar.

Trump set out his terms in capitals: "immediate, complete, and total OPENING OF THE Hormuz strait" and an end to Iran's nuclear threat 5 6. Wire accounts put the American side of that trade as lifting the naval blockade and letting Iran sell oil again, which is the reporting's reading of an implied exchange rather than a term Trump is quoted offering 7. He told reporters negotiations resume at the start of the week, naming neither the venue nor the parties 8.

Tehran has matched none of that in public. Iran's security chief was promising attacks until "total surrender" days before the cancellation , and Bahraini and Kuwaiti aircraft had already flown their own runs at Iranian depots earlier in July with Emirati intelligence behind them . The Gulf states now credited with stopping an American strike are not bystanders to the war they asked Washington to slow down.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

Donald Trump is the US President. He said he was ready to bomb Iran on Sunday 2 August, then called it off hours later. He did not change his mind on his own. Three Gulf countries, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, asked him to stop, worried that Iran would hit their oil and gas facilities in response and drive up costs for everyone. Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman made the case to Trump personally. Nothing was signed to make the halt official, so it could be reversed as quickly as it was agreed.

Deep Analysis
Root Causes

Qatar hosts Al Udeid Air Base, the forward headquarters CENTCOM has run this air campaign from, and Bahrain hosts the US Fifth Fleet; both arrangements rest on renewable basing agreements rather than a permanent legal guarantee, which gives the host government a practical veto that a home-territory ally could never exercise.

Saudi Arabia carries no equivalent basing leverage since Riyadh removed US combat aircraft from its soil after 2003, so Mohammed bin Salman's intervention worked through the economic argument alone, oil and gas exposure, rather than through infrastructure Washington depends on operationally.

Escalation

De-escalatory in the near term but reversible within hours, since nothing prevents the halted strike from being rescheduled once Gulf mediation ends.

What could happen next?
  • Meaning

    Gulf capitals have shown they can move a specific American strike date; broader US Iran policy remains Washington's alone to set.

    Immediate · Assessed
  • Risk

    Because the halt rests on verbal assurances, a single Iranian strike on a Gulf target could collapse the arrangement without warning.

    Short term · Reported
  • Precedent

    This is at least the second time in the war a Gulf-brokered call has stopped a scheduled US strike, following the 18 May cancellation (ID:3431).

    Medium term · Assessed
First Reported In

Update #165 · Gulf capitals talk Trump out of a strike

Al Jazeera· 3 Aug 2026
Read original
Different Perspectives
Shipping and insurance underwriters
Shipping and insurance underwriters
Kpler counted five Hormuz transits on 16 August against 31 the previous weekend, while Windward logged four vessels going AIS-dark for up to a month; underwriters price both the attacks and a sanctions register that names their counterparties in unreadable scanned images. Two trackers now measure only the ships that consent to be seen.
China
China
China sits at the end of the payment chain the 14 August designation targets: Iran's shadow banking network exists to convert sanctioned oil sales, much of it to Chinese refiners, into usable funds. Beijing has previously refused to recognise OFAC's jurisdiction over its own entities buying Iranian crude, leaving this designation to test compliance rather than change trade.
Qatar
Qatar
Qatar's foreign ministry denied on 16 August holding any Iranian pilots alive, contradicting Iranian General Mohammad Bagherzadeh's claim that Doha holds three Su-24 aircrew, and said it had recovered only one set of remains. Qatar carries Iran's messages to Washington, and this is a public break with Tehran over a fact only one aircrew inquiry can settle.
Oman
Oman
Oman's shipping-map talks, covering monitoring, environment and maritime services, were publicly decoupled from any Hormuz reopening by Iran's own foreign minister on 17 August. Muscat's mediation channel keeps functioning on the narrow file it was given, while the political decision it hoped to unlock stays with Iran's security council.
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia separately called the recurrence of tanker attacks on Emirati shipping a dangerous escalation, breaking from the UAE's repeated formula. Riyadh speaking in its own name over an attack on another state's vessels signals it reads the pattern differently from Abu Dhabi's flat statements.
United Arab Emirates
United Arab Emirates
The UAE foreign ministry condemned a third ADNOC-linked tanker attack on 15 August in language identical, word for word, to its statement the day before. Three consecutive strikes on Emirati shipping have not moved Abu Dhabi's public wording by a single adjective.