Skip to content
You can now search across every topic, entity and event.What's new
Iran Conflict 2026
20AUG

Iran takes oil, refuses the inspectors

3 min read
16:36UTC

Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmail Baghaei ruled out IAEA inspection of Iran's war-damaged nuclear sites on 23 June, the day after the oil licence claimed Tehran had agreed to admit them.

ConflictDeveloping
Key takeaway

Iran takes the oil half of the deal and ring-fences the nuclear half behind a sovereignty line.

Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmail Baghaei ruled out International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) inspection of the country's war-damaged nuclear sites on 23 June 2026, the day after General License X issued. The IAEA is the United Nations body that verifies whether states are building weapons. Tehran had held no meeting with its director general and had no plans for inspectors to enter the facilities struck by US and Israeli forces, Baghaei told reporters 1. That denial contradicts the recital inside the licence Bessent signed the day before, and Vice President JD Vance's 21 June claim that Switzerland had produced an IAEA-return agreement .

IRGC-aligned Tasnim News Agency went further, naming Iran's "nuclear ambiguity" as a deliberate post-war doctrine and arguing inspector access would collapse it 2. Opacity about weapons capability has long been Israel's posture, not Iran's; Tehran adopting it now reframes the bombed enrichment sites as a sovereignty line rather than a verification problem. Mojtaba Khamenei had already branded full IAEA access an "excessive demand" on 18 June , and Baghaei is the spokesman operationalising that line.

The distinction bites because of what the inspectors would count. The Institute for Science and International Security (ISIS), a Washington non-proliferation research group, estimates that roughly 155 to 175 kg of Iran's 440.9 kg of 60 per cent enriched uranium remains unlocated, with the agency shut out since 28 February 3. That material is the strongest card Iran holds after losing much of its enrichment infrastructure. Inviting inspectors in would convert the ambiguity into a known, and smaller, quantity, so Iran banks the oil while the uranium stays in the dark.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

The International Atomic Energy Agency, the UN's nuclear watchdog, lost access to Iran's nuclear sites back in February when Iran suspended cooperation. Before the US and Israeli strikes in June, inspectors had tracked Iran's stockpile of highly enriched uranium, but around 155-175 kg of that stockpile could not be precisely located. After the strikes, inspectors would normally visit the damaged sites to check what was destroyed, what survived, and whether any material was moved before the bombing. Iran's foreign ministry said on 23 June that no such visits would happen, leaving the unlocated uranium unaccounted for. Nobody outside Iran knows whether it was destroyed, moved to a secret location, or stored elsewhere.

Deep Analysis
Root Causes

Baghaei's denial has two structural drivers that the event body does not spell out.

The first is institutional: the IRGC's Persian Gulf Strait Authority and Tasnim's explicit framing of IAEA access as a threat to nuclear-ambiguity doctrine signal that the decision against inspections was taken inside the IRGC command structure, not the Foreign Ministry.

Mojtaba Khamenei's June letter calling full IAEA access an 'excessive demand' gave that position supreme-leader cover the day before GL X was issued, meaning the contradiction between GL X's recitals and Baghaei's denial was a feature of the power distribution, not a miscommunication.

The second is legal: Iran's position is that the bombed sites are sovereign territory damaged by an illegal military attack, not active nuclear facilities subject to safeguards obligations. By treating them as crime scenes rather than regulated sites, Tehran attempts to shift the verification frame from NPT compliance to sovereign-harm reparation, a framing that buys time without requiring a formal withdrawal from the NPT.

Escalation

Baghaei's denial converts the nuclear-verification question from a diplomatic abstraction into a concrete physical gap. With 155-175 kg of 60%-enriched uranium unlocated and the bombed sites off-limits, every subsequent negotiation on Iran's nuclear programme proceeds from a baseline that cannot be verified.

This does not make military escalation more likely in the 60-day window, but it makes any final deal structurally harder to close: Washington cannot accept a nuclear settlement whose starting inventory is unknown.

What could happen next?
  • Risk

    The 155-175 kg of unlocated HEU cannot be verified as destroyed, creating an irreducible uncertainty in any nuclear deal's opening inventory.

    Short term · Assessed
  • Consequence

    GL X's recital claim that Iran agreed to IAEA readmission is now publicly contradicted, weakening the legal and political foundation of the oil-relief instrument.

    Immediate · Assessed
  • Precedent

    Iran's 'sovereign territory' framing for bombed nuclear sites, if accepted, sets a precedent that strike damage removes NPT safeguards obligations at those locations.

    Long term · Reported
First Reported In

Update #136 · Trump's first Iran paper is an oil licence

Times of Israel· 23 Jun 2026
Read original
Different Perspectives
UK Maritime Trade Operations
UK Maritime Trade Operations
UKMTO logged six armed men boarding a tanker 136 nautical miles east of Al Mukalla on 20 August and redirecting it toward Somalia. A vessel steered toward the Somali coast reads as an attempted seizure, a distinct hazard from the stand-off strikes the same lane has seen before.
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf
Iran's Majlis speaker received Iraq's Hormuz carve-out request in Baghdad on 19 August, a request that treats passage as Tehran's to grant. Ghalibaf's authority over that grant sits alongside the Revolutionary Guard's separate transit rules, which have moved independently of Iran's foreign ministry before.
Haibat al-Halbousi
Haibat al-Halbousi
Iraq's parliament speaker asked Iran for special consideration on Iraqi Hormuz oil exports during Ghalibaf's 19 August Baghdad visit. Iraq presses the request from a weak position: Iran's central bank is simultaneously demanding Baghdad release Iranian reserves parked in Iraqi accounts.
Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research
Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research
Switzerland's economics ministry updated the Article 21 forms governing lawful Iran money transfers on 19 August, with only the revised forms accepted from 26 August. Bern operates one of the few remaining legal Iran payment channels and has just set a hard cutover on its control point.
Motegi Toshimitsu
Motegi Toshimitsu
Japan's foreign minister said in Muscat on 20 August that Tokyo wants closer coordination with Oman on safe Hormuz and Bab el-Mandeb passage. Japan has no naval presence of its own in the strait, so it is routing the ask through the state negotiating with Iran instead.
Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi
Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi
Oman's foreign minister joined Japan's in Muscat on 20 August to call for intensified coordination on Hormuz and Bab el-Mandeb navigation. Oman also runs the mediation track with Tehran, so the appeal travels through the same channel as the negotiation.