Skip to content
You can now search across every topic, entity and event.What's new
Iran Conflict 2026
17AUG

Iran claims 100 nations, confirms two

2 min read
15:37UTC

Iran's Foreign Ministry claimed guests from around 100 countries, yet its own Tasnim agency could name only two foreign heads of state as Khamenei's casket reached Tehran.

ConflictDeveloping
Key takeaway

Iran's claimed 100-country turnout collapses to two confirmed leaders, exposing its isolation.

Ali Khamenei's casket arrived at the Grand Mosalla in Tehran on 3 July, Iran's state agency IRNA reported, ahead of a deferred state funeral running 4 to 9 July. 1 Processions will run in Tehran, Qom and Mashhad and, for the first time, in Najaf and Karbala in Iraq, carrying the ceremony across the border into Shia Iraq. Al Jazeera reported that more than 20 million mourners are expected in Tehran. 2

Whether Mojtaba Khamenei, appointed Supreme Leader in March, will attend in person is unresolved. Funeral organiser Ali Akbar Pourjamshidia said the decision "lies entirely with the leader's office." 3 Mojtaba has not appeared publicly since 28 February, when the strike that killed his father also wounded him; Israel's defence minister Israel Katz called him a marked man on 1 July . Ali Abdollahi, commander of the IRGC's Khatam al-Anbiya headquarters, warned the United States and Israel against "any miscalculation" during the six days. 4

Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmail Baghaei said guests from "around 100 countries" were expected. Yet Iran's own semi-official Tasnim agency confirmed only two foreign heads of state by name: Pakistan's Shehbaz Sharif and Georgia's Mikheil Kavelashvili. 5 The 30-nation delegation list Tehran published on 1 July, which excluded every European government , has contracted in practice rather than grown towards the claim.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

Ali Khamenei, Iran's Supreme Leader for nearly four decades, was killed in an Israeli strike in February 2026. His son Mojtaba was appointed to succeed him weeks later, but the appointment was contested inside Iran's own clerical establishment because Mojtaba lacks the senior religious qualifications the role traditionally requires. Ali Khamenei's casket arrived at Tehran's Grand Mosalla, a huge outdoor prayer ground, ahead of a six-day state funeral. Iran's government says guests from around 100 countries are coming, but its own state news agency has only confirmed two foreign leaders by name: Pakistan's prime minister and Georgia's president. Funeral organiser Ali Akbar Pourjamshidia said the decision on whether Mojtaba appears in public rests entirely with the leader's office, with no confirmation either way as the funeral opened on 3 July.

Deep Analysis
Root Causes

Iran's constitution requires the Supreme Leader to hold marja status, senior religious scholarly authority, or an equivalent standing. Mojtaba Khamenei does not hold that rank, which is why eight of the Assembly of Experts members who confirmed him in an emergency online session on 7 March, held after Israeli strikes destroyed the Assembly's Qom headquarters, boycotted the vote and cited both the credentials gap and pressure from the IRGC.

That structural deficit, not simply factional politics, is why the funeral has become a vehicle for manufacturing visible recognition. Iran's foreign ministry had already excluded every European government from the funeral delegation list of more than thirty nations , which narrows the claimed 100-country turnout to non-Western recognition only, a signal aimed at the audience Tehran can still reliably assemble rather than the one it has lost.

What could happen next?
  • Risk

    If Mojtaba Khamenei does not appear at the funeral, the ambiguity over his authority deepens at the exact moment Iran needs a unified negotiating position for any Doha talks.

  • Precedent

    A funeral turnout skewed toward Russia, Pakistan and other non-Western states rather than a broad international bloc would confirm Iran's post-war diplomatic isolation extends into ceremonial as well as negotiating settings.

First Reported In

Update #144 · Syria, Lebanon join a US defence table

IRNA· 3 Jul 2026
Read original
Different Perspectives
Shipping and insurance underwriters
Shipping and insurance underwriters
Kpler counted five Hormuz transits on 16 August against 31 the previous weekend, while Windward logged four vessels going AIS-dark for up to a month; underwriters price both the attacks and a sanctions register that names their counterparties in unreadable scanned images. Two trackers now measure only the ships that consent to be seen.
China
China
China sits at the end of the payment chain the 14 August designation targets: Iran's shadow banking network exists to convert sanctioned oil sales, much of it to Chinese refiners, into usable funds. Beijing has previously refused to recognise OFAC's jurisdiction over its own entities buying Iranian crude, leaving this designation to test compliance rather than change trade.
Qatar
Qatar
Qatar's foreign ministry denied on 16 August holding any Iranian pilots alive, contradicting Iranian General Mohammad Bagherzadeh's claim that Doha holds three Su-24 aircrew, and said it had recovered only one set of remains. Qatar carries Iran's messages to Washington, and this is a public break with Tehran over a fact only one aircrew inquiry can settle.
Oman
Oman
Oman's shipping-map talks, covering monitoring, environment and maritime services, were publicly decoupled from any Hormuz reopening by Iran's own foreign minister on 17 August. Muscat's mediation channel keeps functioning on the narrow file it was given, while the political decision it hoped to unlock stays with Iran's security council.
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia separately called the recurrence of tanker attacks on Emirati shipping a dangerous escalation, breaking from the UAE's repeated formula. Riyadh speaking in its own name over an attack on another state's vessels signals it reads the pattern differently from Abu Dhabi's flat statements.
United Arab Emirates
United Arab Emirates
The UAE foreign ministry condemned a third ADNOC-linked tanker attack on 15 August in language identical, word for word, to its statement the day before. Three consecutive strikes on Emirati shipping have not moved Abu Dhabi's public wording by a single adjective.