Skip to content
Briefings are running a touch slower this week while we rebuild the foundations.See roadmap
Russia-Ukraine War 2026
22MAY

Zero pledges for Hormuz coalition

4 min read
10:57UTC

Forty-eight hours after Trump demanded allied warships for the Strait of Hormuz, not a single country has pledged a vessel — not even Japan, which routes roughly 90% of its crude oil imports through the waterway.

ConflictDeveloping
Key takeaway

Zero pledges in 48 hours confirms the coalition failed before it launched.

Not a single country committed warships to President Trump's proposed Coalition to escort commercial vessels through the strait of Hormuz. Forty-eight hours after Trump's call — originally issued on Truth Social — the tally stood at zero pledges 1.

Germany's Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul called the proposal "sceptical" — his word 2. France offered Paris as a venue for Lebanon talks, not frigates for tankers. The UK "discussed importance" in a Saturday phone call with Trump without committing ships 3. Japan and South Korea said nothing — despite both nations' near-total dependence on Gulf crude. Japan imports approximately 90% of its oil through the strait. South Korea roughly 70%.

The refusals are specific to the risk each government has already weighed. Germany and France are absorbing the oil price shock that has pushed Brent from $67.41 on 27 February past $103 . Yet none will send warships into a zone the United States' own officials have described as an Iranian "Kill box" with more than 300 ships stranded . Energy Secretary Wright said on 11 March that the Navy is "simply not ready" for escorts . Allies are being asked to accept military risk in a combat zone for a war they did not start and that Washington itself cannot yet secure.

The last comparable effort — Operation Earnest Will during the 1987–88 Tanker War — succeeded partly because it was confined to escort duty rather than offensive combat, and partly because Cold War alliance structures compelled participation. Neither condition holds in 2026. The US is simultaneously prosecuting a full-scale air campaign against Iran and asking allies to share the maritime risk. Defence Secretary Hegseth's assurance four days earlier that the Hormuz situation need not be worried about contradicted Wright's admission the same week — a dissonance allies noticed. No allied navy appears willing to enter a waterway where the power that initiated hostilities has not yet established control.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

Trump asked allied countries to send warships to protect oil tankers sailing through the Strait of Hormuz — the narrow waterway between Iran and Oman through which roughly one-fifth of the world's oil passes every day. Iran has threatened to close it. Not one country agreed. This matters because the US Navy cannot simultaneously bomb Iran from the air, protect oil tankers in the strait, and maintain its other global commitments without help. Without allies filling the maritime gap, the US faces a binary choice: scale back the air campaign to free naval resources, or accept that Hormuz shipping is unprotected. Either option raises oil prices further above the current $103-per-barrel level.

Deep Analysis
Synthesis

The coalition's collapse in 48 hours is qualitatively faster than the 2019 IMSC, which took weeks to prove hollow. The speed indicates pre-decided refusal, not hesitation — allies have already completed their risk-benefit calculation and concluded that participation costs outweigh US favour. This represents a structural shift: the era of US-convened Gulf maritime coalitions attracting meaningful European naval participation may have closed, leaving the US to choose between unilateral action, inaction, or trading air campaign tempo for maritime resources.

Root Causes

Allied non-participation has three structural drivers absent from the body. First, post-Cold War European naval contraction — the UK Royal Navy operates 13 destroyers and frigates in 2024, down from 35 in 1990 — leaves insufficient hulls for a sustained Gulf deployment without stripping NATO's northern and eastern flanks. Second, Gulf Cooperation Council states face an existential asymmetry: Iranian retaliation against Saudi Aramco's Ras Tanura terminal or Abu Dhabi's Jebel Ali port would dwarf any diplomatic benefit from coalition membership. Third, Trump's 2025 tariff rounds have depleted the diplomatic reciprocity reserves that enabled the 2003 Iraq coalition and the 2019 IMSC to attract even token contributions.

What could happen next?
  • Risk

    Lloyd's and P&I club war-risk exclusions could functionally halt commercial Hormuz transits within days of sustained Iranian interdiction — closing the strait without requiring Iranian military success against US forces.

    Immediate · Suggested
  • Consequence

    The US must now choose between scaling back the air campaign to free naval assets or accepting unprotected Hormuz shipping — no coalition exists to resolve the dilemma that the body identifies.

    Short term · Assessed
  • Precedent

    Zero allied commitments in 48 hours establishes that Trump's transactional foreign policy cannot rapidly assemble a Gulf maritime coalition — a capability previous US administrations could reliably activate.

    Medium term · Assessed
  • Risk

    China, importing 11 million barrels per day through Hormuz, may position its own naval assets as a corridor guarantor, creating a parallel Chinese security architecture in the Gulf that excludes the US.

    Medium term · Suggested
First Reported In

Update #37 · Six more weeks of strikes; Hormuz deal dead

Gov.uk· 16 Mar 2026
Read original
Different Perspectives
Rafael Grossi, IAEA Director General
Rafael Grossi, IAEA Director General
Grossi's Update 349 of 7 May recorded a drone strike on ZNPP's radiation monitoring laboratory on 3 May. Rosatom's 17 May public attack on the Secretariat's neutrality degrades the diplomatic ground Grossi needs for the sixth repair ceasefire at day 60 on the single backup line.
Indian Government / Embassy Moscow
Indian Government / Embassy Moscow
The Indian Embassy in Moscow confirmed on 18 May that an Indian national was killed and three hospitalised at a refinery construction site in the 17 May barrage. India is among the largest buyers of discounted Russian crude; the fatality forces a diplomatic protest without changing the purchasing posture.
Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Turkish President
Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Turkish President
Erdogan met Zelenskyy in Ankara for nearly three hours on 15 May before the Istanbul session, recovering Turkey's 2022 mediator role and reducing Trump's leverage by hosting bilateral talks without Washington in the room. Turkey hosts the NATO Ankara summit on 7-8 July; the Istanbul format gives Erdogan standing at both tables simultaneously.
Viktor Orban / Hungarian Government
Viktor Orban / Hungarian Government
Budapest's new cabinet, formed 12 May, holds the institutional veto point on the EU tranche disbursement ahead of the first-half June window. Hungary has previously leveraged EU loan tranches to extract bilateral concessions; the combination of a fresh cabinet and a tight disbursement timeline makes Budapest the single highest-leverage actor in the EU track this fortnight.
European Council / Commission
European Council / Commission
The Commission is preparing a three-document disbursement package for the 9.1-billion euro first tranche of the EU loan to Ukraine, targeting first-half June, but delivery depends on the Magyar cabinet, which formed on 12 May, not blocking the mechanism. The 20th sanctions package remains in force against Russia.
Donald Trump / US Treasury
Donald Trump / US Treasury
Treasury issued GL 134C with a 48-hour gap after GL 134B expired, confirming the waiver series functions as permanent monthly management rather than a wind-down instrument. Washington was absent from the Istanbul room; Treasury Secretary Bessent framed the Cuba carve-out as protecting 'most vulnerable nations', maintaining the fiction that the 30-day bridge has a humanitarian rationale.