Skip to content
You can now search across every topic, entity and event.What's new
Iran Conflict 2026
20AUG

Iran sends no nuclear counter to US

3 min read
16:36UTC

Iran delivered no written counter on its 60%-enriched uranium against the US memorandum sent on 1 June; Araghchi told Tasnim there was 'no tangible progress' while Trump said a deal 'could happen over the weekend'.

ConflictDeveloping
Key takeaway

Iran has not answered the US nuclear memorandum, and its written courier channel cannot match Trump's weekend timetable.

Iran delivered no written counter and no blend-down offer on its 440.9kg stockpile of 60%-enriched uranium against the tightened US memorandum Donald Trump hand-edited and sent via Pakistan on 1 June . Sixty-percent enrichment sits well above reactor-fuel grade and close to weapons grade, which is why the US demand centres on disposing of that stockpile. Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi told the IRGC-linked outlet Tasnim there had been 'no tangible progress' 1, days after he rang six capitals to reopen the channel he had suspended .

Trump said on Wednesday that talks were 'going very well' and a deal 'could happen over the weekend' 2. The two statements describe the same negotiation from opposite ends. Marco Rubio's 2 June testimony had already fixed the US position, that the strait of Hormuz must reopen before anything else and that step buys Tehran no sanctions relief on its own , and Iran has not formally answered it.

Rubio also said on 2 June that Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei is alive and increasingly engaging, but only in writing through intermediaries, with a 3-to-5-day courier delay on every Iranian reply 3. That timing matters. A physical response to the 1 June text could not arrive before 4 to 6 June, so a weekend signing would require Iran to answer faster than its own courier chain allows. Trump's timetable runs ahead of the channel Rubio described.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

Iran has 440.9 kilograms of uranium enriched to 60% purity stored somewhere inside the country. This is well beyond what any civilian nuclear power programme needs; weapons-grade uranium is 90% pure, but 60% is a significant step toward that threshold. The US, in a revised deal proposal sent via Pakistan on 1 June, demanded Iran remove or destroy this stockpile. Iran was supposed to send a written reply. No reply came. Part of the reason may be physical: Iran's Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei communicates only in writing, through a courier system that takes three to five days per exchange. A reply to a 1 June proposal could not arrive before 4-6 June even if Khamenei agreed immediately. Meanwhile, Iran's Foreign Minister said publicly there had been 'no tangible progress', while President Trump said a deal could happen this weekend. Both statements were directed at different audiences and neither reflects the actual state of the written negotiating text.

Deep Analysis
Root Causes

Iran's failure to deliver a written HEU counter has three structural drivers. The first is Khamenei's written-only communication protocol, which Rubio publicly described on 2 June. A 3-to-5-day courier delay means the 1 June US text's physical arrival in usable form at the correct IRGC-review desk most likely occurred on 3-4 June at earliest. Any reply required another courier cycle before reaching Pakistan or the US channel.

Araghchi told Tasnim 'no tangible progress', a statement Tasnim, as an IRGC-linked outlet, would run only with IRGC approval. The IRGC bloc that sidelined Araghchi's Hormuz reopening announcement in April retains veto authority over what the Foreign Ministry can publicly claim about nuclear terms. Saying 'no progress' to Tasnim is itself an IRGC signal, not an Araghchi assessment.

Third, the HEU disposal clause is categorically non-negotiable for the IRGC. Khamenei's formal written position that nuclear materials are 'a matter of life and not a matter for negotiation' has not moved since March 2026. Blend-down inside Iran was floated informally via the Arms Control Association on 1 June but never delivered as a written counter. Delivering it in writing would require IRGC countersignature that the corps has not given.

What could happen next?
  • Risk

    If no written HEU counter arrives by 6 June, the physical courier-delay excuse expires and the absence becomes evidence of IRGC-bloc refusal rather than timing.

  • Consequence

    Trump's public 'deal this weekend' optimism, contradicted by Araghchi's no-progress statement, creates a market-credibility gap: any subsequent deal announcement will be discounted by traders who have seen this divergence before.

First Reported In

Update #117 · Iran's drone finds Kuwait's arrivals hall

Jordan Times· 4 Jun 2026
Read original
Causes and effects
This Event
Iran sends no nuclear counter to US
Trump's weekend optimism rests on a written, intermediary-only channel that physically cannot answer at the speed he is narrating it.
Different Perspectives
UK Maritime Trade Operations
UK Maritime Trade Operations
UKMTO logged six armed men boarding a tanker 136 nautical miles east of Al Mukalla on 20 August and redirecting it toward Somalia. A vessel steered toward the Somali coast reads as an attempted seizure, a distinct hazard from the stand-off strikes the same lane has seen before.
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf
Iran's Majlis speaker received Iraq's Hormuz carve-out request in Baghdad on 19 August, a request that treats passage as Tehran's to grant. Ghalibaf's authority over that grant sits alongside the Revolutionary Guard's separate transit rules, which have moved independently of Iran's foreign ministry before.
Haibat al-Halbousi
Haibat al-Halbousi
Iraq's parliament speaker asked Iran for special consideration on Iraqi Hormuz oil exports during Ghalibaf's 19 August Baghdad visit. Iraq presses the request from a weak position: Iran's central bank is simultaneously demanding Baghdad release Iranian reserves parked in Iraqi accounts.
Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research
Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research
Switzerland's economics ministry updated the Article 21 forms governing lawful Iran money transfers on 19 August, with only the revised forms accepted from 26 August. Bern operates one of the few remaining legal Iran payment channels and has just set a hard cutover on its control point.
Motegi Toshimitsu
Motegi Toshimitsu
Japan's foreign minister said in Muscat on 20 August that Tokyo wants closer coordination with Oman on safe Hormuz and Bab el-Mandeb passage. Japan has no naval presence of its own in the strait, so it is routing the ask through the state negotiating with Iran instead.
Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi
Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi
Oman's foreign minister joined Japan's in Muscat on 20 August to call for intensified coordination on Hormuz and Bab el-Mandeb navigation. Oman also runs the mediation track with Tehran, so the appeal travels through the same channel as the negotiation.