Skip to content
You can now search across every topic, entity and event.What's new
Iran Conflict 2026
20AUG

Cooper: 90% of Iran's mines cleared

3 min read
16:36UTC

Admiral Brad Cooper, CENTCOM commander, told a Washington defence forum on Thursday 14 May that US operations had cleared 'roughly 90 per cent' of Iran's naval mine inventory and that Iran's military threat is 'diminished but not eliminated'.

ConflictDeveloping
Key takeaway

Cooper claimed CENTCOM cleared 90 per cent of Iran's naval mines with no published methodology.

Admiral Brad Cooper, CENTCOM commander, told a Washington defence forum on Thursday 14 May that US operations had cleared 'roughly 90 per cent' of Iran's naval mine inventory and that Iran's military threat is 'diminished but not eliminated', as reported by Defense News 1. The figure arrived with no published methodology and no independent corroboration.

Cooper's previous '100 per cent halt' claim had been contradicted by Windward, The National, and LSEG, citing the 61-vessel redirection count of 10 May and the earlier 58-redirect baseline . The 90 per cent figure does not state whether it counts mines destroyed in situ, deactivated in storage, neutralised by sweep, or simply absent from a sensor pass at the Larak-Qeshm corridor between Iranian islands. Defense News asked for clarification on methodology and CENTCOM did not provide one.

Counter-perspective: independent analysts at IISS and CSIS have noted that mine-counter-measures statistics are inherently denominator problems, because Iran has never published its mine inventory and Western estimates range from 3,000 to 6,000 weapons across pre-war stockpiles. A 90 per cent claim against an unknown denominator could simultaneously be technically accurate and operationally meaningless. CENTCOM has not addressed this in its public communications.

Pete Hegseth's Article 2 testimony on Tuesday 12 May rests on CENTCOM's operational credibility, and the Alaskan senator's constitutional deadline is days from expiry . A second challenged Cooper figure within four weeks of the first would erode that evidentiary foundation just as the constitutional clock runs down. The Larak-Qeshm corridor remains the test surface: a single mined-vessel incident there would settle the dispute empirically.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

The top US military commander in the Middle East, Admiral Brad Cooper, told a Washington forum on 14 May that US forces have destroyed or neutralised roughly 90% of Iran's sea mines in the Strait of Hormuz. P&I insurers require independent verification of that kind of claim before they will reopen war-risk cover for the strait. Cooper's previous claim, that US operations had achieved a '100% halt' of Iranian shipping interference, was directly contradicted by three independent maritime tracking firms: Windward, The National, and LSEG. The 90% figure arrived with no explanation of how it was calculated, and the US Defense Intelligence Agency's 2025 estimate put Iran's total mine inventory at between 2,000 and 5,000 units, a baseline Cooper has not published.

Deep Analysis
Root Causes

CENTCOM's operational communication cadence has a structural incentive to issue progress claims before the War Powers Act 60-day reporting deadline passes. The WPA requires the president to seek congressional authorisation within 60 days of introducing forces into hostilities; Cooper's forum statement on 14 May arrived with the deadline approaching on 19 May.

A commander's public assessment of 90% mine clearance provides the executive branch with a 'success narrative' that reduces congressional pressure for an AUMF without actually closing the legal gap.

The previous '100% halt' claim that Windward, The National, and LSEG contradicted reflects the same structural pressure: CENTCOM's public posture must support the White House's no-congressional-authorisation stance by projecting mission success. The downgrade from 100% to 90% may represent intelligence revision, but the public communication timing is politically determined, not operationally driven.

What could happen next?
  • Risk

    Cooper's two successive challenged mine-clearance claims, first 100% halt then 90% neutralised, erode the evidentiary foundation for Pete Hegseth's Article 2 justification if a third independent contradiction emerges from Windward or LSEG.

    Short term · 0.76
  • Consequence

    P&I insurance underwriters require independent mine-clearance verification, not a US military commander's forum statement, before war-risk cover can reopen; the 90% claim does not move that threshold.

    Immediate · 0.85
  • Meaning

    The WPA deadline of 19 May creates a structural incentive for CENTCOM to issue progress claims in the five days prior; the 14 May forum statement falls within that window and should be read with that context.

    Immediate · 0.79
First Reported In

Update #99 · Two Hormuz papers; Washington on neither

Defense News· 16 May 2026
Read original
Different Perspectives
UK Maritime Trade Operations
UK Maritime Trade Operations
UKMTO logged six armed men boarding a tanker 136 nautical miles east of Al Mukalla on 20 August and redirecting it toward Somalia. A vessel steered toward the Somali coast reads as an attempted seizure, a distinct hazard from the stand-off strikes the same lane has seen before.
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf
Iran's Majlis speaker received Iraq's Hormuz carve-out request in Baghdad on 19 August, a request that treats passage as Tehran's to grant. Ghalibaf's authority over that grant sits alongside the Revolutionary Guard's separate transit rules, which have moved independently of Iran's foreign ministry before.
Haibat al-Halbousi
Haibat al-Halbousi
Iraq's parliament speaker asked Iran for special consideration on Iraqi Hormuz oil exports during Ghalibaf's 19 August Baghdad visit. Iraq presses the request from a weak position: Iran's central bank is simultaneously demanding Baghdad release Iranian reserves parked in Iraqi accounts.
Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research
Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research
Switzerland's economics ministry updated the Article 21 forms governing lawful Iran money transfers on 19 August, with only the revised forms accepted from 26 August. Bern operates one of the few remaining legal Iran payment channels and has just set a hard cutover on its control point.
Motegi Toshimitsu
Motegi Toshimitsu
Japan's foreign minister said in Muscat on 20 August that Tokyo wants closer coordination with Oman on safe Hormuz and Bab el-Mandeb passage. Japan has no naval presence of its own in the strait, so it is routing the ask through the state negotiating with Iran instead.
Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi
Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi
Oman's foreign minister joined Japan's in Muscat on 20 August to call for intensified coordination on Hormuz and Bab el-Mandeb navigation. Oman also runs the mediation track with Tehran, so the appeal travels through the same channel as the negotiation.