Skip to content
You can now search across every topic, entity and event.What's new
Iran Conflict 2026
20AUG

Italy deploys minesweepers to Hormuz coalition

3 min read
16:36UTC

Italy forward-deployed two mine countermeasures vessels to the 26-nation Strait of Hormuz coalition, the first physical commitment from a non-UK member-state and an awkward fit for Admiral Brad Cooper's 90 per cent claim.

ConflictDeveloping
Key takeaway

Italy's two minesweepers contradict Cooper's 90 per cent claim; coalition deployment now precedes written engagement rules.

Italy forward-deployed two mine countermeasures (MCM) vessels to the Middle East on Sunday 17 May for the 26-nation Strait of Hormuz coalition , Naval News confirmed. The deployment is the first physical commitment to the Coalition from a non-UK member-state, following the Royal Navy's HMS Dragon on 9 May . The operational note sits across an awkward data line. Admiral Brad Cooper, CENTCOM (US Central Command) commander, told the Manama Forum on Thursday 14 May that US forces had eliminated 90 per cent of Iran's naval mine inventory . Coalition planners are now physically deploying assets that imply Cooper's figure is overstated by a margin large enough to require minesweepers from a NATO partner four days after the briefing. The gap matters because mine warfare in the strait of Hormuz is a counting problem rather than a doctrinal one. the strait carries roughly 17 million barrels per day of crude and condensate through a 33-kilometre-wide chokepoint where any unswept mine field forces traffic to halt while clearance runs at one to two mines per ship per day. If Cooper's 90 per cent described an operationally adequate residual, the Italian deployment makes no sense; the inverse is the more plausible read. Italy's two Lerici-class vessels, designed for the shallow Gulf bottom, are tasked precisely for the clearance picture Cooper's number was supposed to have settled. The Coalition's published architecture remains thin. No member has filed a written rules-of-engagement framework even as the physical commitments stack up: the Northwood planning summit produced a coordination structure but no engagement template. Physical deployment is now running 14 days ahead of legal architecture. Whichever member files the first written framework sets the operational template Washington will need either to endorse or to contest. That leaves Rome and Paris drafting the post-war Hormuz rulebook on Iran's western seam.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

The Strait of Hormuz is the narrow waterway through which about 20 per cent of the world's oil passes. Iran has threatened to mine it, effectively blocking all shipping. Italy sent two specialist ships designed to find and safely destroy sea mines. This makes Italy the first mainland European country to commit actual ships, beyond political support, to the 26-nation operation guarding the strait. America's top commander in the region, Admiral Brad Cooper, told a forum last week that coalition forces had already destroyed 90 per cent of Iran's mines. Italy's ships are there to handle whatever is left, and to signal that Europe is willing to shoulder some of the military burden.

What could happen next?
  • Consequence

    Italy's physical deployment sets a benchmark that France, Germany, and Spain will face pressure to match, shifting the coalition from a US-UK bilateral to a genuine European burden-sharing arrangement.

  • Opportunity

    The Italy-France combined naval presence gives the EU a legitimate stake in Hormuz security architecture, strengthening European leverage in post-war shipping-rights negotiations.

First Reported In

Update #101 · Barakah hit, Trump posts, Italy sends minesweepers

Naval News· 18 May 2026
Read original
Different Perspectives
UK Maritime Trade Operations
UK Maritime Trade Operations
UKMTO logged six armed men boarding a tanker 136 nautical miles east of Al Mukalla on 20 August and redirecting it toward Somalia. A vessel steered toward the Somali coast reads as an attempted seizure, a distinct hazard from the stand-off strikes the same lane has seen before.
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf
Iran's Majlis speaker received Iraq's Hormuz carve-out request in Baghdad on 19 August, a request that treats passage as Tehran's to grant. Ghalibaf's authority over that grant sits alongside the Revolutionary Guard's separate transit rules, which have moved independently of Iran's foreign ministry before.
Haibat al-Halbousi
Haibat al-Halbousi
Iraq's parliament speaker asked Iran for special consideration on Iraqi Hormuz oil exports during Ghalibaf's 19 August Baghdad visit. Iraq presses the request from a weak position: Iran's central bank is simultaneously demanding Baghdad release Iranian reserves parked in Iraqi accounts.
Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research
Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research
Switzerland's economics ministry updated the Article 21 forms governing lawful Iran money transfers on 19 August, with only the revised forms accepted from 26 August. Bern operates one of the few remaining legal Iran payment channels and has just set a hard cutover on its control point.
Motegi Toshimitsu
Motegi Toshimitsu
Japan's foreign minister said in Muscat on 20 August that Tokyo wants closer coordination with Oman on safe Hormuz and Bab el-Mandeb passage. Japan has no naval presence of its own in the strait, so it is routing the ask through the state negotiating with Iran instead.
Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi
Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi
Oman's foreign minister joined Japan's in Muscat on 20 August to call for intensified coordination on Hormuz and Bab el-Mandeb navigation. Oman also runs the mediation track with Tehran, so the appeal travels through the same channel as the negotiation.