Skip to content
You can now search across every topic, entity and event.What's new
Iran Conflict 2026
19AUG

Radio warnings close a second strait

3 min read
18:42UTC

Yahya Sarea declared Bab al-Mandab shut to Saudi shipping on Monday. Six vessels, among them the Chinese supertanker Xin Long Yang, had turned round inside 48 hours without a shot fired.

ConflictDeveloping
Key takeaway

A radio broadcast closed Bab al-Mandab to Saudi shipping inside 48 hours, with no shot fired.

Yahya Sarea, military spokesman for Yemen's Houthis, announced a full maritime embargo on Saudi Arabia on Monday 20 July, effective immediately 1. Houthi forces began hailing vessels on open maritime frequencies near Yemen the same day, telling them the Bab al-Mandab was closed to Saudi traffic 2.

Bab al-Mandab is the strait between Yemen and Djibouti where the Red Sea meets the Gulf of Aden, and roughly a quarter of global container traffic passes through it. Six vessels had reversed course by Tuesday 21 July, according to Lloyd's List ship-tracking data. Among them was the Chinese Very Large Crude Carrier Xin Long Yang, which turned in the Red Sea rather than continue towards a Saudi port 3.

Houthi forces fired nothing, boarded nothing and stopped nothing. Rear Admiral Vasileios Gryparis commands Operation Aspides, the European Union's naval protection mission in the Red Sea. He said the Houthis "remain a threat to navigation despite not having attacked any merchant vessels since September 2025" 4. Holding the Strait of Hormuz shut has cost a great deal more: a naval blockade, Marine boarding parties putting armed personnel on foreign decks , and eleven consecutive nights of bombing.

Sarea framed the embargo as retaliation for Saudi Arabia's blockade of Yemeni ports and a Saudi strike on Sanaa airport. The Houthis say that strike was aimed at an Iranian aircraft carrying their leadership home from Ali Khamenei's funeral 5. Saudi Arabia's foreign ministry called the declaration false and a distraction from the group's "economic mismanagement and public discontent", and said The Kingdom would take "all necessary measures" to protect its ships 6.

Whether the six turnbacks answer the radio calls, the owners' own risk desks or both cannot be separated out from tracking data alone. No war-risk premium specific to Saudi-bound traffic has yet been established either. What can be said is that the traffic changed course within two days of a broadcast, and that nobody had to sail a warship to make it happen.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

The Houthis are an armed group that controls large parts of Yemen. On Monday they announced they would stop Saudi-bound ships from passing through the Bab al-Mandab strait, a narrow sea gap near Yemen that a huge share of world shipping uses to reach the Suez Canal. They have not fired on or boarded any ship. Instead, Houthi forces have been radioing vessels over open radio channels and warning them to turn back. Six ships did, including the Chinese supertanker Xin Long Yang. No vessel has been attacked, boarded or stopped. Shipping companies are cautious because insurance for sailing through this region has already become far more expensive during the wider war, so a warning alone is often enough to make a captain choose the longer, safer route.

Deep Analysis
Root Causes

Rerouting on a radio warning only works because the insurance market had already primed shipowners to treat any new threat as decisive. War-risk premiums for the region were running at 3-10% of hull value before this declaration, against roughly 0.25% before the war, according to Lloyd's List reporting; the Lloyd's Market Association has said capacity technically remains available and it is price and crew willingness, not a shortage of cover, that is doing the suppressing.

That pre-existing cost structure means a six-figure premium swing, not a missile, is enough to turn a tanker around; the Houthis are exploiting a market that was already primed to divert rather than demonstrating new military reach.

What could happen next?
  • Risk

    If the Houthis follow the 2023 Galaxy Leader precedent and escalate from radio warnings to an actual boarding or strike, war-risk premiums for the wider Red Sea corridor would likely reprice sharply, compounding the existing Hormuz premium.

  • Precedent

    A second chokepoint closed by declaration rather than force lowers the bar for further non-kinetic threats against shipping elsewhere in the region.

First Reported In

Update #159 · A second strait closes by radio alone

The War Zone· 22 Jul 2026
Read original
Different Perspectives
UK Maritime Trade Operations
UK Maritime Trade Operations
UKMTO logged six armed men boarding a tanker 136 nautical miles east of Al Mukalla on 20 August and redirecting it toward Somalia. A vessel steered toward the Somali coast reads as an attempted seizure, a distinct hazard from the stand-off strikes the same lane has seen before.
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf
Iran's Majlis speaker received Iraq's Hormuz carve-out request in Baghdad on 19 August, a request that treats passage as Tehran's to grant. Ghalibaf's authority over that grant sits alongside the Revolutionary Guard's separate transit rules, which have moved independently of Iran's foreign ministry before.
Haibat al-Halbousi
Haibat al-Halbousi
Iraq's parliament speaker asked Iran for special consideration on Iraqi Hormuz oil exports during Ghalibaf's 19 August Baghdad visit. Iraq presses the request from a weak position: Iran's central bank is simultaneously demanding Baghdad release Iranian reserves parked in Iraqi accounts.
Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research
Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research
Switzerland's economics ministry updated the Article 21 forms governing lawful Iran money transfers on 19 August, with only the revised forms accepted from 26 August. Bern operates one of the few remaining legal Iran payment channels and has just set a hard cutover on its control point.
Motegi Toshimitsu
Motegi Toshimitsu
Japan's foreign minister said in Muscat on 20 August that Tokyo wants closer coordination with Oman on safe Hormuz and Bab el-Mandeb passage. Japan has no naval presence of its own in the strait, so it is routing the ask through the state negotiating with Iran instead.
Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi
Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi
Oman's foreign minister joined Japan's in Muscat on 20 August to call for intensified coordination on Hormuz and Bab el-Mandeb navigation. Oman also runs the mediation track with Tehran, so the appeal travels through the same channel as the negotiation.