Skip to content
You can now search across every topic, entity and event.What's new
Iran Conflict 2026
17AUG

Trump talks war, signs no orders

3 min read
15:37UTC

Trump posted mid-session on 21 June that the US would 'hit Iran very hard again, only harder' and told Fox it would 'take over the strait'; OFAC, the Federal Register and the Presidential Actions index carried zero Iran entries on either day.

ConflictDeveloping
Key takeaway

Trump escalated to strait-seizure and renewed strikes while his government signed no order, designation or licence.

Donald Trump posted on Truth Social on 21 June that Iran must "immediately stop their highly paid PROXIES in Lebanon" or the United States would "hit Iran very hard again, just like we did last week, only harder" 1. In a Fox News phone interview the next morning he said that if Iran closed the Strait of Hormuz the US would "blow the s--- out of them", and threatened to "take over the strait" and "collect tolls". The threats landed mid-session at the Switzerland round, the working talks implementing the 16 June Islamabad Memorandum of Understanding between Washington and Tehran.

US policy binds through three registers that do not respond to a social-media post: The White House Presidential Actions index, the Treasury sanctions authority known as OFAC, and the Federal Register, the government's record of official acts. Each carried zero Iran entries across 21 and 22 June. Trump signed the memorandum and ordered the naval blockade lifted on 16 June ; these threats added no order, designation or licence behind them.

Iran's delegation paused the talks and, by the Jerusalem Post's account, walked out on the Sunday night before returning 2. Ghalibaf refused to join the group photo and gave no joint press conference, and Iranian state media said the session stopped after an "insulting message" from the US President. US officials said the delegation stayed on-site throughout, so the two accounts of that evening differ. Either way the threats bought a diplomatic cost, not a concession.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

During the Switzerland talks, President Trump posted on his social media site threatening to bomb Iran again and even to seize the Strait of Hormuz. But when you check the US government's official registers (the documents that make policy real and legally binding), there was nothing there. No order to the military, no new sanctions, nothing signed. This matters because Iran has learned to tell the difference between Trump's words and actual US government action. His team in Switzerland kept negotiating rather than leaving for good, but Iran's delegation did pause and briefly walked out, probably to signal to hardliners back home that they are not simply accepting whatever Trump says.

Deep Analysis
Root Causes

Trump's threat-and-sign-nothing pattern across the full conflict (the pattern was established by Day 80, as noted in the US entity context) reflects an executive branch running two parallel foreign policies: the institutional track (OFAC, Federal Register, Pentagon) and the presidential-communications track (Truth Social, Fox News). OFAC, the Federal Register, and the Pentagon act on signed instruments; Truth Social posts bind nobody.

The IRGC's ability to read this gap is the structural root cause of the delegation pause rather than full walkout: Ghalibaf's faction knows the threat had no instrument behind it but cannot appear indifferent to it.

Escalation

De-escalatory in outcome: the Iranian delegation's return after the walkout, and the subsequent communique, shows the threat did not break the talks. But the pattern erodes US credibility for future coercion: each unexecuted threat makes the next one cheaper for Iran to absorb.

What could happen next?
  • Risk

    Repeated unexecuted threats reduce US coercive leverage in the 60-day final-agreement window; Iran's negotiating team now has a documented baseline (two IRGC closure declarations, multiple Truth Social threats, zero accompanying instruments) for calibrating future US pressure.

  • Consequence

    Ghalibaf's photo refusal gives IRGC hardliners a visible symbol that the pro-deal bloc did not capitulate, reducing the domestic political cost of continued engagement.

First Reported In

Update #135 · Trump's threats peak, his paper stays blank

Reuters· 22 Jun 2026
Read original
Causes and effects
This Event
Trump talks war, signs no orders
On the two days the President threatened the most, the registers that turn US policy into binding action recorded nothing.
Different Perspectives
Shipping and insurance underwriters
Shipping and insurance underwriters
Kpler counted five Hormuz transits on 16 August against 31 the previous weekend, while Windward logged four vessels going AIS-dark for up to a month; underwriters price both the attacks and a sanctions register that names their counterparties in unreadable scanned images. Two trackers now measure only the ships that consent to be seen.
China
China
China sits at the end of the payment chain the 14 August designation targets: Iran's shadow banking network exists to convert sanctioned oil sales, much of it to Chinese refiners, into usable funds. Beijing has previously refused to recognise OFAC's jurisdiction over its own entities buying Iranian crude, leaving this designation to test compliance rather than change trade.
Qatar
Qatar
Qatar's foreign ministry denied on 16 August holding any Iranian pilots alive, contradicting Iranian General Mohammad Bagherzadeh's claim that Doha holds three Su-24 aircrew, and said it had recovered only one set of remains. Qatar carries Iran's messages to Washington, and this is a public break with Tehran over a fact only one aircrew inquiry can settle.
Oman
Oman
Oman's shipping-map talks, covering monitoring, environment and maritime services, were publicly decoupled from any Hormuz reopening by Iran's own foreign minister on 17 August. Muscat's mediation channel keeps functioning on the narrow file it was given, while the political decision it hoped to unlock stays with Iran's security council.
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia separately called the recurrence of tanker attacks on Emirati shipping a dangerous escalation, breaking from the UAE's repeated formula. Riyadh speaking in its own name over an attack on another state's vessels signals it reads the pattern differently from Abu Dhabi's flat statements.
United Arab Emirates
United Arab Emirates
The UAE foreign ministry condemned a third ADNOC-linked tanker attack on 15 August in language identical, word for word, to its statement the day before. Three consecutive strikes on Emirati shipping have not moved Abu Dhabi's public wording by a single adjective.