Skip to content
You can now search across every topic, entity and event.What's new
Iran Conflict 2026
17AUG

Lebanon talks stall on the Litani map

3 min read
15:37UTC

The fifth round of Israel-Lebanon talks opened at the State Department on 23 June, ran over eight hours with no joint statement, and turned on Israeli maps for a model zone south of the Litani.

ConflictDeveloping
Key takeaway

Round 5 hinges on a Litani model-zone map, the one item that would unlock Iran's nuclear precondition.

The fifth round of direct Israel-Lebanon talks opened at the US State Department on 23 June, ran more than eight hours and produced no joint statement, then moved to the Pentagon on 24 June for a security-only session, with a final round set for Thursday 25 June 1. Israel tabled maps for a "model zone" south of the Litani river where the Lebanese Armed Forces (LAF) would deploy under US supervision. Israeli ambassador Yechiel Leiter called the talks "a train wreck" at the open; Lebanese President Joseph Aoun said Beirut would accept "nothing less" than an Israeli withdrawal.

The round carries weight beyond Lebanon. Iran set a Lebanon ceasefire as the precondition for opening its deferred nuclear sub-talks , which makes this table the gating mechanism for the entire Islamabad framework.

The "model zone" concept revives the architecture of UN Resolution 1701, under which the Lebanese Army was meant to hold south of the Litani after 2006 and never fully did. Israel is now demanding that deployment as the condition for its own withdrawal, inverting the 1701 sequence and giving Hezbollah every incentive to keep the zone contested. Benjamin Netanyahu has ordered his forces to hold position south of the river , the physical block the talks must overcome before the nuclear questions can open.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

Israel and Lebanon have been negotiating a ceasefire at the US State Department in Washington. The fifth round opened on 23 June and ran for more than eight hours without producing any agreed statement. The talks then moved to the Pentagon on 24 June for security discussions. Israel proposed designating an area south of the Litani River; a line in southern Lebanon; where Lebanon's regular army would take control under American supervision. Lebanon's president said the country would accept nothing less than a full Israeli withdrawal. Iran has separately told the United States that it will not begin nuclear negotiations until Israel withdraws from Lebanon. That makes these talks a gating condition: until Israel and Lebanon reach a deal, the wider Iran-US nuclear process is stalled. The fighting continued even during the talks, with Israeli strikes killing at least 27 people and Hezbollah firing more than 175 projectiles in a single day.

First Reported In

Update #137 · Iran and Oman claim the strait; US says no

Shafaq News· 24 Jun 2026
Read original
Different Perspectives
Shipping and insurance underwriters
Shipping and insurance underwriters
Kpler counted five Hormuz transits on 16 August against 31 the previous weekend, while Windward logged four vessels going AIS-dark for up to a month; underwriters price both the attacks and a sanctions register that names their counterparties in unreadable scanned images. Two trackers now measure only the ships that consent to be seen.
China
China
China sits at the end of the payment chain the 14 August designation targets: Iran's shadow banking network exists to convert sanctioned oil sales, much of it to Chinese refiners, into usable funds. Beijing has previously refused to recognise OFAC's jurisdiction over its own entities buying Iranian crude, leaving this designation to test compliance rather than change trade.
Qatar
Qatar
Qatar's foreign ministry denied on 16 August holding any Iranian pilots alive, contradicting Iranian General Mohammad Bagherzadeh's claim that Doha holds three Su-24 aircrew, and said it had recovered only one set of remains. Qatar carries Iran's messages to Washington, and this is a public break with Tehran over a fact only one aircrew inquiry can settle.
Oman
Oman
Oman's shipping-map talks, covering monitoring, environment and maritime services, were publicly decoupled from any Hormuz reopening by Iran's own foreign minister on 17 August. Muscat's mediation channel keeps functioning on the narrow file it was given, while the political decision it hoped to unlock stays with Iran's security council.
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia separately called the recurrence of tanker attacks on Emirati shipping a dangerous escalation, breaking from the UAE's repeated formula. Riyadh speaking in its own name over an attack on another state's vessels signals it reads the pattern differently from Abu Dhabi's flat statements.
United Arab Emirates
United Arab Emirates
The UAE foreign ministry condemned a third ADNOC-linked tanker attack on 15 August in language identical, word for word, to its statement the day before. Three consecutive strikes on Emirati shipping have not moved Abu Dhabi's public wording by a single adjective.