Skip to content
You can now search across every topic, entity and event.What's new
Iran Conflict 2026
17AUG

Iran rejects US plan, sets five terms

2 min read
15:37UTC

Tehran's five conditions amount to a demand for unconditional victory; the gap with Washington's 15-point plan is structural, not tactical.

ConflictAssessed
Key takeaway

Neither side's peace terms overlap, making diplomatic resolution impossible without one side fundamentally changing its war aims.

Abbas Araghchi, Iran's Foreign Minister, dismissed Washington's 15-point ceasefire plan as "extremely maximalist and unreasonable" on Tuesday 1. Hours later, Tehran published five counter-conditions through Press TV: a complete halt to US and Israeli attacks, war reparations, international recognition of Iran's sovereignty over the Strait of Hormuz, protection of Hezbollah and allied militias in Iraq, and fulfilment of pre-war Geneva demands. Araghchi told state media: "At present, our policy is the continuation of resistance" 2.

The 15-point plan reached Tehran via Pakistan . Israel's Channel 12 reported its contents: dismantling Iran's nuclear programme, limiting its ballistic missile arsenal, abandoning regional proxy networks, and conditionally reopening Hormuz 3. Donald Trump said Washington is "very close to meeting the core objectives of the operation."

Iran's counter demands formal sovereignty over the strait where the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) already runs a $2 million per-vessel toll system . Washington asks Tehran to surrender its nuclear capacity. Tehran asks Washington to recognise its authority over the waterway that carries one-fifth of the world's oil.

Iran insists on Vice President Vance as sole interlocutor , rejecting both Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner 4. The Trump administration says all four officials are authorised. Neither side has agreed on who sits at the table.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

Iran and the US have each published their wish list for ending the war. Iran wants the US to recognise its right to control the shipping lane that carries a fifth of the world's oil. The US wants Iran to give up its nuclear programme and its militias. If you listed both sides' demands, not a single item would appear on both lists.

Deep Analysis
Root Causes

Neither side entered the war with a theory of acceptable peace.

Escalation

Escalating. Both sides' published positions are maximalist. Military preparations advance faster than diplomacy.

What could happen next?
  • Consequence

    Islamabad talks may collapse before starting if neither side concedes on format

  • Risk

    Oil markets pricing non-existent diplomacy; correction upward likely

First Reported In

Update #48 · Iran rejects ceasefire; Kharg fortified

Middle East Eye· 26 Mar 2026
Read original
Different Perspectives
Shipping and insurance underwriters
Shipping and insurance underwriters
Kpler counted five Hormuz transits on 16 August against 31 the previous weekend, while Windward logged four vessels going AIS-dark for up to a month; underwriters price both the attacks and a sanctions register that names their counterparties in unreadable scanned images. Two trackers now measure only the ships that consent to be seen.
China
China
China sits at the end of the payment chain the 14 August designation targets: Iran's shadow banking network exists to convert sanctioned oil sales, much of it to Chinese refiners, into usable funds. Beijing has previously refused to recognise OFAC's jurisdiction over its own entities buying Iranian crude, leaving this designation to test compliance rather than change trade.
Qatar
Qatar
Qatar's foreign ministry denied on 16 August holding any Iranian pilots alive, contradicting Iranian General Mohammad Bagherzadeh's claim that Doha holds three Su-24 aircrew, and said it had recovered only one set of remains. Qatar carries Iran's messages to Washington, and this is a public break with Tehran over a fact only one aircrew inquiry can settle.
Oman
Oman
Oman's shipping-map talks, covering monitoring, environment and maritime services, were publicly decoupled from any Hormuz reopening by Iran's own foreign minister on 17 August. Muscat's mediation channel keeps functioning on the narrow file it was given, while the political decision it hoped to unlock stays with Iran's security council.
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia separately called the recurrence of tanker attacks on Emirati shipping a dangerous escalation, breaking from the UAE's repeated formula. Riyadh speaking in its own name over an attack on another state's vessels signals it reads the pattern differently from Abu Dhabi's flat statements.
United Arab Emirates
United Arab Emirates
The UAE foreign ministry condemned a third ADNOC-linked tanker attack on 15 August in language identical, word for word, to its statement the day before. Three consecutive strikes on Emirati shipping have not moved Abu Dhabi's public wording by a single adjective.