Skip to content
You can now search across every topic, entity and event.What's new
Iran Conflict 2026
17AUG

Four Arab capitals call for the June ceasefire

2 min read
15:37UTC

Qatar, the UAE, Lebanon and Jordan condemned the strikes and called for a return to the 16 June ceasefire framework. None of them named who broke it.

ConflictDeveloping
Key takeaway

Four Arab governments condemned the strikes without naming who carried them out.

Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, Lebanon and Jordan condemned the strikes on 19 July and called for a return to the ceasefire framework agreed on 16 June 1.

Qatar and the UAE host American forces and mediate with Tehran, Lebanon carries Hezbollah inside its own politics, and Jordan is absorbing missiles fired at a base on its territory. They are not acting as a bloc, and their statements converge on nothing except the destination they name.

None of the four assigns blame to a named party. That omission is the standard posture of a government that houses one belligerent's forces while sharing a border or a maritime boundary with the other. Naming Washington threatens basing agreements and security guarantees; naming Tehran invites the next wave. Invoking the 16 June framework lets all four register an objection without stating who abandoned it, which is also why the demand carries no mechanism, no mediator and no deadline. These governments have named Iran before. Kuwait declared two members of Iran's diplomatic mission persona non grata on 3 June, within a day of a strike on its airport, and handed Tehran's charge d'affaires a formal protest note, while the Arab League, the UAE, Qatar, Egypt and Bahrain all condemned that strike and Abu Dhabi called for a unified Gulf response . Seven weeks later the condemnation has lost its addressee.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

Qatar, the UAE, Lebanon and Jordan jointly condemned the latest strikes and asked everyone to go back to the ceasefire agreed on 16 June. A day earlier, Iran had declared a related agreement, the Islamabad Memorandum, suspended; it is not confirmed whether that is the same ceasefire the four countries want revived. This kind of joint statement signals shared frustration among US-aligned Gulf and Levant states, even if it does not obligate Iran to do anything.

What could happen next?
  • Meaning

    A joint four-state call to revive a ceasefire framework, issued a day after Iran declared a related agreement suspended, signals a widening gap between what US-aligned regional states want and what Tehran says it will accept.

First Reported In

Update #157 · IAEA takes up Darkhovin as utilities become targets

Al Jazeera English· 20 Jul 2026
Read original
Causes and effects
This Event
Four Arab capitals call for the June ceasefire
States hosting American forces and states bordering Iran issued the same demand without assigning blame to either party.
Different Perspectives
Shipping and insurance underwriters
Shipping and insurance underwriters
Kpler counted five Hormuz transits on 16 August against 31 the previous weekend, while Windward logged four vessels going AIS-dark for up to a month; underwriters price both the attacks and a sanctions register that names their counterparties in unreadable scanned images. Two trackers now measure only the ships that consent to be seen.
China
China
China sits at the end of the payment chain the 14 August designation targets: Iran's shadow banking network exists to convert sanctioned oil sales, much of it to Chinese refiners, into usable funds. Beijing has previously refused to recognise OFAC's jurisdiction over its own entities buying Iranian crude, leaving this designation to test compliance rather than change trade.
Qatar
Qatar
Qatar's foreign ministry denied on 16 August holding any Iranian pilots alive, contradicting Iranian General Mohammad Bagherzadeh's claim that Doha holds three Su-24 aircrew, and said it had recovered only one set of remains. Qatar carries Iran's messages to Washington, and this is a public break with Tehran over a fact only one aircrew inquiry can settle.
Oman
Oman
Oman's shipping-map talks, covering monitoring, environment and maritime services, were publicly decoupled from any Hormuz reopening by Iran's own foreign minister on 17 August. Muscat's mediation channel keeps functioning on the narrow file it was given, while the political decision it hoped to unlock stays with Iran's security council.
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia separately called the recurrence of tanker attacks on Emirati shipping a dangerous escalation, breaking from the UAE's repeated formula. Riyadh speaking in its own name over an attack on another state's vessels signals it reads the pattern differently from Abu Dhabi's flat statements.
United Arab Emirates
United Arab Emirates
The UAE foreign ministry condemned a third ADNOC-linked tanker attack on 15 August in language identical, word for word, to its statement the day before. Three consecutive strikes on Emirati shipping have not moved Abu Dhabi's public wording by a single adjective.