Skip to content
Briefings are running a touch slower this week while we rebuild the foundations.See roadmap
Iran Conflict 2026
23MAR

Grossi: 200 kg sealed in Isfahan

3 min read
05:40UTC

Rafael Grossi told AP that satellite imagery showed 18 blue containers carrying roughly 200 kg of 60%-enriched uranium entering an Isfahan tunnel on 9 June 2025, four days before Israel struck.

ConflictAssessed
Key takeaway

Iran's enriched stockpile sits in an Isfahan tunnel four days ahead of the war's opening strike.

Rafael Grossi, Director-General of the IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency, the UN's nuclear inspections body), told the Associated Press in a 29 April interview that 18 blue containers carrying roughly 200 kg of 60%-enriched uranium entered a tunnel at Isfahan's Uranium Conversion Facility on Monday 9 June 2025, four days before Israel's opening strikes on Friday 13 June 2025 1. The judgement rests on satellite imagery; IAEA has had no on-site access since the strikes.

The figure matters because it puts a specific location on the stockpile Marco Rubio's 27 April formulation demanded Iran 'hand over' as a precondition for talks . Iran's total holding of 60% material is approximately 441 kg. Grossi assesses that the Isfahan portion is 'likely still at Isfahan.' The previous topic figure for the stockpile was the same 440.9 kg Rubio used; Grossi's interview adds physical placement that earlier accounting did not have. He had floated the broader monitoring problem in a 22 March CBS interview ; the 29 April version names a tunnel and a date.

The operational consequence is a buried-tunnel problem at the centre of the diplomatic stalemate. The 18 containers went underground in a hardened facility four days before any strike could target them, which means even the June 2025 Israeli campaign that opened the war did not reach them. The only independent verifier of their current location is the same agency Iran's Majlis voted 221-0 to expel from the country on 11 April. Washington is asking Tehran to surrender a stockpile no neutral inspector can confirm Iran still holds, from a site no neutral inspector can enter.

Reaching the material physically requires either Iranian consent or a strike heavier than Israel's June 2025 effort. Rubio's 'handover' formulation presumes a stockpile in countable form on a surface a Treasury accountant could verify. Grossi has now placed it inside a tunnel, behind a wall the war has put up, watched from orbit. The diplomatic and physical layers of the 'Iran must give up enrichment first' demand are no longer the same problem.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

Iran has about 441 kilograms of uranium enriched to 60% purity, well above what is needed for power stations but below weapons grade, which is 90%. The IAEA, the UN nuclear watchdog, says roughly 200 kilograms of that is inside an underground tunnel at the Isfahan nuclear complex, where it was moved four days before Israeli airstrikes began in June 2025. No inspector has been inside that tunnel since then. The US is demanding Iran hand over the full stockpile, but nobody on the outside can confirm how much material is actually in there, or what condition it is in, without sending in inspectors that Iran is refusing to allow.

Deep Analysis
Root Causes

Two independent structural causes block IAEA access.

First, the Majlis voted 221-0 on 11 April to formalise the IAEA suspension, converting an ad hoc refusal into a legislative mandate. Any Iranian government that allows inspectors back before a formal ceasefire inverts a parliamentary decision passed with zero dissent, a domestic political cost the IRGC would not accept.

Second, the Isfahan tunnel's physical configuration (four tunnel entrances collapsed by US Tomahawk cruise missiles on 22 June 2025, per the Isfahan entity record) means IAEA access would require Iranian cooperation in reopening access points, not merely unlocking a door. The engineering timeline for safe re-entry is uncertain and gives Iran a technical basis for delay even after a political decision to allow access.

What could happen next?
  • Risk

    Rubio's 440.9 kg handover demand requires verification of a stockpile that the IAEA cannot count without physical access to the Isfahan tunnel, making any ceasefire agreement containing this clause technically unverifiable on the day it is signed.

  • Risk

    If weaponisation infrastructure destroyed in June-July 2025 is being reconstituted with Russian and Chinese components (ID:2837), the strategic significance of the tunnel uranium shifts from a negotiating asset to a potential operational input on a timeline that intelligence agencies cannot confirm without IAEA access.

First Reported In

Update #86 · Trump signs paper. The paper ends the war.

Associated Press / Washington Times· 2 May 2026
Read original
Different Perspectives
IAEA
IAEA
Director General Rafael Grossi appeared in person at the UNSC on 19 May and warned that a direct hit on an operating reactor 'could result in very high release of radioactivity'. The session produced a condemnation record but no resolution, and the Barakah perimeter was already struck on 17 May.
Hengaw (Kurdish rights monitor)
Hengaw (Kurdish rights monitor)
Hengaw documented three judicial executions and the detention of Kurdish writer Majid Karimi in Tehran on 19 May, establishing Khorasan Razavi province as the newest geography in Iran's wartime judicial record. The organisation's Norway-based operation continues to surface a domestic repression track running in parallel with every diplomatic and military development.
India
India
Six India-flagged vessels conducted a coordinated cluster transit under PGSA bilateral assurances during the 17 May window, paying no yuan tolls. New Delhi's inclusion in Iran's state-to-state passage track insulates Indian energy supply without requiring endorsement of the PGSA's yuan-toll architecture or alignment with the US coalition.
Pakistan
Pakistan
Pakistan is the only functioning diplomatic bridge between Tehran and Washington. Its role is relay, not mediation in the settlement sense: it conveyed Iran's 10-point counter-MOU in early May, relayed the US rejection, and is now passing 'corrective points' in the third documented exchange of this sub-cycle without either side working from a shared text.
UK and France (Northwood coalition)
UK and France (Northwood coalition)
Twenty-six coalition members have published no rules of engagement eight days after the Bahrain joint statement; Lloyd's underwriters have conditioned war-risk reopening on written ROE from either Iran or the coalition. Italian and French mine-countermeasures deployments are operating on the in-water clearance task CENTCOM Admiral Brad Cooper's 90% mine-stockpile claim does not address.
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia
Riyadh has not publicly commented on the Barakah strike or the 50-47 discharge vote. Saudi output feeds the IEA's $106 base case; the $5 Brent premium above that model reflects institutional uncertainty no Gulf producer can compress through supply adjustment alone.