Skip to content
You can now search across every topic, entity and event.What's new
Iran Conflict 2026
20AUG

Gargash warns: neither war nor peace

2 min read
16:36UTC

Anwar Gargash, the UAE president's diplomatic adviser, wrote on X on 11 August that the region cannot remain trapped between war and peace. Abu Dhabi had helped call off an American strike nine days earlier.

ConflictDeveloping
Key takeaway

Abu Dhabi's senior diplomat says the region cannot stay stuck between war and peace.

Anwar Gargash, diplomatic adviser to the president of the United Arab Emirates (UAE), wrote on X on Tuesday 11 August, warning that the region cannot remain trapped between "neither war nor peace" 1. Gargash is Abu Dhabi's most senior public voice on foreign policy, and the UAE is not a bystander in this war. On 2 August Donald Trump called off a planned strike at the request of Riyadh, Doha and Abu Dhabi . Six days after that, the Emirates said an Iranian missile had targeted a vessel belonging to the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) in the Strait of Hormuz .

Gargash is describing that position from the inside. Abu Dhabi spent political capital to stop the bombing, and its own shipping is being fired on regardless. A Gulf state can lobby Washington out of a strike in an afternoon; it cannot lobby a war-risk underwriter, and it has no lever at all over what leaves an Iranian launcher. Hence the complaint, from a government that has run out of things to ask for.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

Anwar Gargash, a senior adviser to the president of the United Arab Emirates, posted on X that the region cannot stay stuck between 'neither war nor peace', meaning fighting has slowed without any real peace deal in place. The UAE is one of the Gulf countries that has been trying to stop the war between the US and Iran from getting worse, including helping persuade President Trump to cancel a planned strike on Iran earlier this month.

Deep Analysis
Root Causes

No enforceable ceasefire mechanism exists between Iran and the US-Gulf coalition. Every halt in fighting so far has come from an individual intervention: Caine's 26 July warning to Trump over munitions stockpiles, then the Gulf states' 2 August request that called off a planned strike .

Neither halt rests on a negotiated framework, which is why Gargash describes the current state as 'neither war nor peace' rather than a ceasefire: no document exists that would make it one.

What could happen next?
  • Risk

    Gargash's warning signals Gulf frustration that the current lull rests on individual interventions rather than a negotiated ceasefire, raising the chance a single incident, such as the disputed 8 August ADNOC vessel strike (ID:5650), could tip the region back toward open fighting.

First Reported In

Update #169 · The war moved from the air to the water

Middle East Eye· 12 Aug 2026
Read original
Causes and effects
This Event
Gargash warns: neither war nor peace
A Gulf capital that helped halt an American strike is now saying the halt has settled nothing.
Different Perspectives
UK Maritime Trade Operations
UK Maritime Trade Operations
UKMTO logged six armed men boarding a tanker 136 nautical miles east of Al Mukalla on 20 August and redirecting it toward Somalia. A vessel steered toward the Somali coast reads as an attempted seizure, a distinct hazard from the stand-off strikes the same lane has seen before.
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf
Iran's Majlis speaker received Iraq's Hormuz carve-out request in Baghdad on 19 August, a request that treats passage as Tehran's to grant. Ghalibaf's authority over that grant sits alongside the Revolutionary Guard's separate transit rules, which have moved independently of Iran's foreign ministry before.
Haibat al-Halbousi
Haibat al-Halbousi
Iraq's parliament speaker asked Iran for special consideration on Iraqi Hormuz oil exports during Ghalibaf's 19 August Baghdad visit. Iraq presses the request from a weak position: Iran's central bank is simultaneously demanding Baghdad release Iranian reserves parked in Iraqi accounts.
Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research
Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research
Switzerland's economics ministry updated the Article 21 forms governing lawful Iran money transfers on 19 August, with only the revised forms accepted from 26 August. Bern operates one of the few remaining legal Iran payment channels and has just set a hard cutover on its control point.
Motegi Toshimitsu
Motegi Toshimitsu
Japan's foreign minister said in Muscat on 20 August that Tokyo wants closer coordination with Oman on safe Hormuz and Bab el-Mandeb passage. Japan has no naval presence of its own in the strait, so it is routing the ask through the state negotiating with Iran instead.
Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi
Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi
Oman's foreign minister joined Japan's in Muscat on 20 August to call for intensified coordination on Hormuz and Bab el-Mandeb navigation. Oman also runs the mediation track with Tehran, so the appeal travels through the same channel as the negotiation.