Skip to content
You can now search across every topic, entity and event.What's new
Iran Conflict 2026
19AUG

Grossi: 200 kg sealed in Isfahan

3 min read
18:42UTC

Rafael Grossi told AP that satellite imagery showed 18 blue containers carrying roughly 200 kg of 60%-enriched uranium entering an Isfahan tunnel on 9 June 2025, four days before Israel struck.

ConflictAssessed
Key takeaway

Iran's enriched stockpile sits in an Isfahan tunnel four days ahead of the war's opening strike.

Rafael Grossi, Director-General of the IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency, the UN's nuclear inspections body), told the Associated Press in a 29 April interview that 18 blue containers carrying roughly 200 kg of 60%-enriched uranium entered a tunnel at Isfahan's Uranium Conversion Facility on Monday 9 June 2025, four days before Israel's opening strikes on Friday 13 June 2025 1. The judgement rests on satellite imagery; IAEA has had no on-site access since the strikes.

The figure matters because it puts a specific location on the stockpile Marco Rubio's 27 April formulation demanded Iran 'hand over' as a precondition for talks . Iran's total holding of 60% material is approximately 441 kg. Grossi assesses that the Isfahan portion is 'likely still at Isfahan.' The previous topic figure for the stockpile was the same 440.9 kg Rubio used; Grossi's interview adds physical placement that earlier accounting did not have. He had floated the broader monitoring problem in a 22 March CBS interview ; the 29 April version names a tunnel and a date.

The operational consequence is a buried-tunnel problem at the centre of the diplomatic stalemate. The 18 containers went underground in a hardened facility four days before any strike could target them, which means even the June 2025 Israeli campaign that opened the war did not reach them. The only independent verifier of their current location is the same agency Iran's Majlis voted 221-0 to expel from the country on 11 April. Washington is asking Tehran to surrender a stockpile no neutral inspector can confirm Iran still holds, from a site no neutral inspector can enter.

Reaching the material physically requires either Iranian consent or a strike heavier than Israel's June 2025 effort. Rubio's 'handover' formulation presumes a stockpile in countable form on a surface a Treasury accountant could verify. Grossi has now placed it inside a tunnel, behind a wall the war has put up, watched from orbit. The diplomatic and physical layers of the 'Iran must give up enrichment first' demand are no longer the same problem.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

Iran has about 441 kilograms of uranium enriched to 60% purity, well above what is needed for power stations but below weapons grade, which is 90%. The IAEA, the UN nuclear watchdog, says roughly 200 kilograms of that is inside an underground tunnel at the Isfahan nuclear complex, where it was moved four days before Israeli airstrikes began in June 2025. No inspector has been inside that tunnel since then. The US is demanding Iran hand over the full stockpile, but nobody on the outside can confirm how much material is actually in there, or what condition it is in, without sending in inspectors that Iran is refusing to allow.

Deep Analysis
Root Causes

Two independent structural causes block IAEA access.

First, the Majlis voted 221-0 on 11 April to formalise the IAEA suspension, converting an ad hoc refusal into a legislative mandate. Any Iranian government that allows inspectors back before a formal ceasefire inverts a parliamentary decision passed with zero dissent, a domestic political cost the IRGC would not accept.

Second, the Isfahan tunnel's physical configuration (four tunnel entrances collapsed by US Tomahawk cruise missiles on 22 June 2025, per the Isfahan entity record) means IAEA access would require Iranian cooperation in reopening access points, not merely unlocking a door. The engineering timeline for safe re-entry is uncertain and gives Iran a technical basis for delay even after a political decision to allow access.

What could happen next?
  • Risk

    Rubio's 440.9 kg handover demand requires verification of a stockpile that the IAEA cannot count without physical access to the Isfahan tunnel, making any ceasefire agreement containing this clause technically unverifiable on the day it is signed.

  • Risk

    If weaponisation infrastructure destroyed in June-July 2025 is being reconstituted with Russian and Chinese components (ID:2837), the strategic significance of the tunnel uranium shifts from a negotiating asset to a potential operational input on a timeline that intelligence agencies cannot confirm without IAEA access.

First Reported In

Update #86 · Trump signs paper. The paper ends the war.

Associated Press / Washington Times· 2 May 2026
Read original
Different Perspectives
UK Maritime Trade Operations
UK Maritime Trade Operations
UKMTO logged six armed men boarding a tanker 136 nautical miles east of Al Mukalla on 20 August and redirecting it toward Somalia. A vessel steered toward the Somali coast reads as an attempted seizure, a distinct hazard from the stand-off strikes the same lane has seen before.
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf
Iran's Majlis speaker received Iraq's Hormuz carve-out request in Baghdad on 19 August, a request that treats passage as Tehran's to grant. Ghalibaf's authority over that grant sits alongside the Revolutionary Guard's separate transit rules, which have moved independently of Iran's foreign ministry before.
Haibat al-Halbousi
Haibat al-Halbousi
Iraq's parliament speaker asked Iran for special consideration on Iraqi Hormuz oil exports during Ghalibaf's 19 August Baghdad visit. Iraq presses the request from a weak position: Iran's central bank is simultaneously demanding Baghdad release Iranian reserves parked in Iraqi accounts.
Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research
Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research
Switzerland's economics ministry updated the Article 21 forms governing lawful Iran money transfers on 19 August, with only the revised forms accepted from 26 August. Bern operates one of the few remaining legal Iran payment channels and has just set a hard cutover on its control point.
Motegi Toshimitsu
Motegi Toshimitsu
Japan's foreign minister said in Muscat on 20 August that Tokyo wants closer coordination with Oman on safe Hormuz and Bab el-Mandeb passage. Japan has no naval presence of its own in the strait, so it is routing the ask through the state negotiating with Iran instead.
Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi
Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi
Oman's foreign minister joined Japan's in Muscat on 20 August to call for intensified coordination on Hormuz and Bab el-Mandeb navigation. Oman also runs the mediation track with Tehran, so the appeal travels through the same channel as the negotiation.