Skip to content
You can now search across every topic, entity and event.What's new
Iran Conflict 2026
17AUG

Israel refuses the deal's Lebanon clause

3 min read
15:37UTC

Israel's Katz said the IDF will stay in Lebanon, Syria and Gaza for an unlimited period; Ben-Gvir said the deal does not bind Israel, which never signed it.

ConflictDeveloping
Key takeaway

Israel never signed the deal, so nothing in it can force the IDF out of Lebanon.

Israeli defence minister Israel Katz declared the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) would remain in Lebanon, Syria and Gaza "for an unlimited period of time", speaking on 14 June 2026. 1 National security minister Itamar Ben-Gvir said the US-Iran deal "does not bind us" and that Israel is "not party to this agreement." 2 Both spoke on the day the deal was announced, placing Israel outside an agreement Washington had brokered without it.

Iran and Pakistan both insist the ceasefire covers Lebanon, and Iran's deputy foreign minister said the war ends "on all fronts, including Lebanon." 3 That clause rests on an IDF withdrawal Katz has just refused. The Lebanon faultline is not new: it broke the bilateral halt agreed on 9 June, which Israel confirmed excluded Lebanon from the start . Katz has moved the position from "no withdrawal" to "unlimited period" across three theatres, turning a negotiating stance into a standing veto over a deal he was never asked to sign.

Israeli strikes on Beirut forced the planned 14 June electronic signing to slip to an in-person ceremony on Friday 19 June in Europe. 4 Donald Trump, who had spent the war warning Tehran and had already rebuked Benjamin Netanyahu publicly over the 9 June Karun strike , turned the criticism on his ally again: he called Netanyahu "a very difficult guy" and said the Beirut strikes nearly derailed the deal. 5 Because Israel is not a signatory, the US-Iran text has no mechanism to compel it. Hezbollah's own ceasefire, tied to an IDF pullback from southern Lebanon, has no trigger while the army stays put.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

Two of Israel's most senior ministers said on 14-15 June that the US-Iran deal does not bind Israel, and that Israeli forces will stay in Lebanon, Syria and Gaza indefinitely. This matters because Iran has insisted any real peace deal must include an Israeli withdrawal from Lebanon. Israel says it never agreed to any such clause and is not a party to the deal. Imagine two countries negotiating a peace deal that would require a third country to do something; if that third country was never at the table and refuses to comply, the peace deal has a hole in it the size of Lebanon. Iranian and Pakistani officials say Lebanon is included; Israel says it is not. Trump publicly criticised Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, saying he is 'a very difficult guy', and said Israeli strikes on Beirut almost derailed the deal entirely.

Deep Analysis
Root Causes

Israel's non-participation has a legal root and a political root.

On the legal side, Israel was not party to the US-Iran MOU negotiations. There is no mechanism in the draft text to bind a third state that signed nothing. Iran's demand that the ceasefire covers Lebanon is a political demand made outside the formal treaty structure; it cannot be enforced against Israel through the instrument that does not include Israel.

On the political side, Ben-Gvir and the Religious Zionist bloc have made IDF presence in Lebanon a coalition condition. Netanyahu's government falls if he agrees to withdrawal; his incentive to accept even a Trump-brokered compromise on Lebanon is structurally lower than his incentive to hold. Trump's rebuke over Beirut carries less weight than it did over Karun because Netanyahu absorbed the Karun rebuke without changing course.

Escalation

The Lebanon faultline represents the most concrete risk to the 19 June signing. Israeli strikes on Beirut forced the 14 June electronic signing to slip already. If strikes continue or intensify before 19 June, the ceremony slips again. If Iran concludes Israel will not withdraw from Lebanon under any US pressure Washington can bring to bear, Tehran's hardliners gain a legitimate veto argument that the deal does not deliver what Iran was promised.

What could happen next?
  • Risk

    Iran's hardliner faction gains a concrete argument for deal rejection if IDF withdrawal from Lebanon cannot be secured; the Lebanon clause becomes the most likely single point of failure before 19 June.

    Immediate · Assessed
  • Consequence

    Ben-Gvir's public repudiation of the deal increases the probability that Israel launches further strikes on Lebanese targets before 19 June, compounding the signing delay risk.

    Short term · Reported
  • Precedent

    A US-Iran deal that excludes Israel from its scope creates a template for future Middle East agreements in which Israel operates as a de facto veto actor outside any formal treaty structure.

    Long term · Suggested
First Reported In

Update #128 · Trump declares Iran war over

RFE/RL· 15 Jun 2026
Read original
Different Perspectives
Shipping and insurance underwriters
Shipping and insurance underwriters
Kpler counted five Hormuz transits on 16 August against 31 the previous weekend, while Windward logged four vessels going AIS-dark for up to a month; underwriters price both the attacks and a sanctions register that names their counterparties in unreadable scanned images. Two trackers now measure only the ships that consent to be seen.
China
China
China sits at the end of the payment chain the 14 August designation targets: Iran's shadow banking network exists to convert sanctioned oil sales, much of it to Chinese refiners, into usable funds. Beijing has previously refused to recognise OFAC's jurisdiction over its own entities buying Iranian crude, leaving this designation to test compliance rather than change trade.
Qatar
Qatar
Qatar's foreign ministry denied on 16 August holding any Iranian pilots alive, contradicting Iranian General Mohammad Bagherzadeh's claim that Doha holds three Su-24 aircrew, and said it had recovered only one set of remains. Qatar carries Iran's messages to Washington, and this is a public break with Tehran over a fact only one aircrew inquiry can settle.
Oman
Oman
Oman's shipping-map talks, covering monitoring, environment and maritime services, were publicly decoupled from any Hormuz reopening by Iran's own foreign minister on 17 August. Muscat's mediation channel keeps functioning on the narrow file it was given, while the political decision it hoped to unlock stays with Iran's security council.
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia separately called the recurrence of tanker attacks on Emirati shipping a dangerous escalation, breaking from the UAE's repeated formula. Riyadh speaking in its own name over an attack on another state's vessels signals it reads the pattern differently from Abu Dhabi's flat statements.
United Arab Emirates
United Arab Emirates
The UAE foreign ministry condemned a third ADNOC-linked tanker attack on 15 August in language identical, word for word, to its statement the day before. Three consecutive strikes on Emirati shipping have not moved Abu Dhabi's public wording by a single adjective.