Skip to content
You can now search across every topic, entity and event.What's new
Iran Conflict 2026
17AUG

Iran sets six terms to reopen Hormuz

2 min read
15:37UTC

Mohammad Bagher Zolghadr set out six conditions on 8 August before Iran will reopen the Strait of Hormuz, beginning with an end to American military action.

ConflictDeveloping
Key takeaway

Iran's six conditions put the Strait of Hormuz inside a war settlement, not a shipping deal.

Mohammad Bagher Zolghadr, then secretary of Iran's SNSC (Supreme National Security Council), set out six conditions on Saturday 8 August before Iran will reopen the Strait of Hormuz 1. Washington must end its military action, lift the naval blockade, withdraw its forces, pay war damages, lift sanctions and release Iran's frozen assets. The council Zolghadr spoke for is the body that turns any agreed text into Iranian national policy, and he said it "will not retreat in war or negotiations".

Tehran has costed one of those items before. In May it told mediators it wanted $12bn in frozen assets held in Qatar released before any reopening, and refused to trade the money for what it called vague and illusory promises . The six conditions restate that demand as one line on a longer list. They also land after Washington had already answered a narrower Iranian proposal, rejecting the Majlis transit bill outright on 6 August .

Nothing on Zolghadr's list concerns pilotage, traffic separation or who inspects a hull. Each condition asks for something no shipping authority can grant, which places the reopening inside a war settlement rather than inside a maritime arrangement. A charterer reading the six items learns that a technical mechanism, however well drafted, does not open the waterway on its own.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

Iran sits on one side of the Strait of Hormuz, the narrow sea route used by Gulf oil and gas exporters. Its security council is the state body that turns a negotiated draft into national policy. Iran's six conditions ask the United States to change the war, sanctions and money issues before the route opens. They go beyond a shipping plan.

Deep Analysis
Root Causes

Iran signed but did not ratify the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea, while the Strait of Hormuz remains the sea exit for Gulf exporters. That gap lets Tehran make domestic sovereignty claims even though other states invoke transit passage.

$12bn in frozen assets formed a Hormuz precondition in May . Linking those assets, sanctions and compensation to reopening gives Tehran bargaining chips that do not depend on winning a naval engagement.

What could happen next?
  • Meaning

    The council has put political and financial demands beside maritime reopening, widening the matters that mediators must address.

  • Risk

    A technical corridor may remain unused if Washington and Tehran cannot separate passage from sanctions and war claims.

First Reported In

Update #168 · Iran replaces the man who set its terms

Islamic Republic News Agency· 11 Aug 2026
Read original
Different Perspectives
Shipping and insurance underwriters
Shipping and insurance underwriters
Kpler counted five Hormuz transits on 16 August against 31 the previous weekend, while Windward logged four vessels going AIS-dark for up to a month; underwriters price both the attacks and a sanctions register that names their counterparties in unreadable scanned images. Two trackers now measure only the ships that consent to be seen.
China
China
China sits at the end of the payment chain the 14 August designation targets: Iran's shadow banking network exists to convert sanctioned oil sales, much of it to Chinese refiners, into usable funds. Beijing has previously refused to recognise OFAC's jurisdiction over its own entities buying Iranian crude, leaving this designation to test compliance rather than change trade.
Qatar
Qatar
Qatar's foreign ministry denied on 16 August holding any Iranian pilots alive, contradicting Iranian General Mohammad Bagherzadeh's claim that Doha holds three Su-24 aircrew, and said it had recovered only one set of remains. Qatar carries Iran's messages to Washington, and this is a public break with Tehran over a fact only one aircrew inquiry can settle.
Oman
Oman
Oman's shipping-map talks, covering monitoring, environment and maritime services, were publicly decoupled from any Hormuz reopening by Iran's own foreign minister on 17 August. Muscat's mediation channel keeps functioning on the narrow file it was given, while the political decision it hoped to unlock stays with Iran's security council.
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia separately called the recurrence of tanker attacks on Emirati shipping a dangerous escalation, breaking from the UAE's repeated formula. Riyadh speaking in its own name over an attack on another state's vessels signals it reads the pattern differently from Abu Dhabi's flat statements.
United Arab Emirates
United Arab Emirates
The UAE foreign ministry condemned a third ADNOC-linked tanker attack on 15 August in language identical, word for word, to its statement the day before. Three consecutive strikes on Emirati shipping have not moved Abu Dhabi's public wording by a single adjective.