Skip to content
Briefings are running a touch slower this week while we rebuild the foundations.See roadmap
Iran Conflict 2026
22MAY

US Navy lacks ships to convoy the Gulf

3 min read
11:08UTC

The US Navy privately told shipping industry leaders it cannot run regular convoys through the Strait of Hormuz — two days after the President promised exactly that.

ConflictDeveloping
Key takeaway

The US has publicly committed to escort operations it cannot currently execute, handing Iran confirmation that its maritime denial strategy is imposing costs without requiring a direct naval confrontation.

The US Navy told shipping industry leaders on Wednesday that it does not currently have sufficient assets to operate a regular convoy programme through the strait of Hormuz. The admission directly contradicts President Trump's announcement two days earlier that the Navy would provide escorts alongside government-backed insurance from the Development Finance Corporation .

Convoy escort requires a fundamentally different force structure from combat operations. A carrier strike group projects power; an escort programme requires vessels on a predictable schedule at fixed chokepoints, with enough hulls to rotate without gaps. During Operation Earnest Will from 1987 to 1988 — the last US convoy programme in The Gulf — the Navy escorted re-flagged Kuwaiti tankers using cruisers, destroyers, and frigates drawn from a Reagan-era fleet of more than 550 ships, nearly double today's 296. Even that smaller operation, covering a fraction of Gulf traffic, stretched resources thin. The frigate USS Samuel B. Roberts struck an Iranian mine while on escort duty in April 1988.

The Fifth Fleet, headquartered in Bahrain, maintains roughly 20 vessels in the region, including the Abraham Lincoln carrier strike group — which Iran targeted with anti-ship ballistic missiles on Sunday . Those vessels are engaged in combat operations and force protection across four bodies of water: The Gulf, the Red Sea, the Arabian Sea, and the Indian Ocean. Pulling them into escort rotations means pulling them from strike missions or defensive screens.

With the P&I deadline at midnight Thursday and no confirmed escort schedule, tanker captains and charterers cannot plan voyages. Insurance — whether government-backed or commercial — is meaningless if the insured party cannot confirm a military escort on a specific date at a specific location. Brent Crude held above $82 per barrel, its two-day gain of approximately 12% the largest since 2020. The oil market has registered the distance between the political commitment and the ships available to honour it.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

Trump announced the US Navy would escort oil tankers through the dangerous strait — similar to armed police escorts for armoured trucks carrying cash. The problem is the Navy itself has now admitted it does not have enough ships in the area to run this regularly. Tanker operators and insurers need confirmed, scheduled escort availability before they will send a ship; a vague promise of future escorts does not change their commercial calculation, particularly against a hard Thursday insurance deadline.

Deep Analysis
Synthesis

The gap between Trump's announced policy and the Navy's operational admission tells Tehran that its strategy of threatening maritime commerce is succeeding without requiring it to engage US warships directly. Iran can continue suppressing Hormuz transits through insurance markets and threat alone while the US expends political capital on a promise it cannot operationalise before the P&I deadline.

Root Causes

The US Navy's 5th Fleet (Bahrain) has been systematically thinned by the Indo-Pacific pivot begun in 2012, which concentrated surface combatant availability toward the Pacific. The Navy's current distributed maritime operations doctrine does not include convoy escort as a primary mission set, and the fleet has no modern dedicated escort vessel — the WWII-era destroyer escort was retired with no successor. Burke-class destroyers are multimission assets too scarce to dedicate to convoy duty without withdrawing them from other simultaneous taskings.

Escalation

The admission forces a binary US choice: surge naval assets to the region — itself an escalatory signal requiring weeks of redeployment — or accept that the escort announcement is hollow. Gulf partners who structured their port-reopening decisions around the escort promise may now recalculate their dependence on US security guarantees, widening the alliance management problem independently of the military one.

What could happen next?
  • Risk

    US credibility as security guarantor for Gulf partners degrades materially if the escort commitment cannot be operationalised before the P&I insurance deadline.

    Immediate · Assessed
  • Consequence

    Hormuz transit may cease entirely for commercially insured vessels if no operational escort schedule is confirmed by Thursday midnight, regardless of the DFC underwriting pledge.

    Immediate · Assessed
  • Risk

    A visible gap between US declared intent and naval capacity may embolden Iran to escalate further in the maritime domain, calculating that direct US naval response is constrained by the same asset shortage.

    Short term · Suggested
  • Opportunity

    NATO allies could offer surface combatants under a multilateral maritime protection framework, spreading the burden and reducing the perception of a bilateral US–Iran confrontation.

    Short term · Suggested
First Reported In

Update #18 · First Iranian warship sunk since 1988

CNBC· 4 Mar 2026
Read original
Causes and effects
This Event
US Navy lacks ships to convoy the Gulf
The gap between the political announcement and operational capacity means the government-backed insurance and escort programme cannot function before the P&I deadline at midnight Thursday. Without confirmed escort availability, no tanker captain will commit to a Hormuz transit, rendering the President's pledge inoperative on the timeline that matters.
Different Perspectives
Islamabad (Pakistan Armed Forces and Foreign Ministry)
Islamabad (Pakistan Armed Forces and Foreign Ministry)
Munir's cancellation reflects Islamabad's assessment that no bridging formula survives the collision of Khamenei's uranium directive, Rubio's Hormuz red line, and the sequencing gap simultaneously; Naqvi's relay role signals continued Pakistani engagement without a mandate to close any of the three gaps.
Lloyd's of London war-risk market
Lloyd's of London war-risk market
Published PGSA coordinates give underwriters the cartographic input to model tanker route exposure inside the claimed zone; OFAC's Sunday GL V ruling determines whether Hengli-Singapore dollar-clearing routes carry secondary-sanctions risk from Monday, adding a compliance layer to the existing kinetic war-risk premium.
Hengaw Human Rights Organisation
Hengaw Human Rights Organisation
Zaleh's trial lasted 'only a few minutes' before a conviction on PDKI membership charges at Naqadeh; the pattern of solitary detention, coerced confession, and minutes-long hearing is consistent with wartime political-charge architecture the organisation has documented across the Kurdish northwest.
Gulf Arab states (UAE, Bahrain, Kuwait)
Gulf Arab states (UAE, Bahrain, Kuwait)
The UAE has not published counter-coordinates to the PGSA's Hormuz zone map, leaving Emirati silence as the maritime-law response to Iran's charted boundary claim. Abu Dhabi's published position now defaults by omission toward implied acceptance of the zone's cartographic fact.
Beijing's Ministry of Commerce
Beijing's Ministry of Commerce
MOFCOM's blocking order covers Hengli and four other designated refineries on the mainland but does not extend to the dollar-clearing layer in Singapore, making Sunday's GL V expiry the first live test of whether Beijing's sanctions-defiance architecture reaches the place where dollars settle.
The White House
The White House
Trump's verbal track on Iran has produced no signed Iran-specific presidential instrument across 84 days; both financial-sector EOs signed on 19 May are unrelated to Hormuz or the IRGC. Rubio's public naming of the Hormuz toll architecture as a deal-killer is the administration's most concrete new position this week.