Skip to content
Briefings are running a touch slower this week while we rebuild the foundations.See roadmap
Russia-Ukraine War 2026
22MAY

Trump claims enrichment ban Iran has never confirmed

2 min read
10:57UTC
ConflictDeveloping
Key takeaway

Both sides made public enrichment commitments that preclude compromise

Trump posted on Truth Social on 8 April: 'There will be no enrichment of Uranium' 1. Karoline Leavitt called enrichment 'a red line the President is not going to back away from' 2. PBS News confirmed Iran has not confirmed any agreement on enrichment 3.

Iran's position is the opposite. The 10-point plan that Pakistan relayed, and that Trump accepted as a 'workable basis' when the SNSC issued its ceasefire statement , explicitly demands enrichment rights. Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, Speaker of Iran's Majlis, listed enrichment refusal as the third of three ceasefire violations, alongside the Lebanon strikes and a drone incursion into Iranian airspace 4. He called continued negotiations 'unreasonable.'

Ghalibaf is the highest-ranking elected official in Iran to reject the ceasefire framework. The enrichment gap is the fault line the Islamabad talks must bridge on Friday. Araghchi confirmed he will attend, but 'with complete distrust' 5.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

Trump says Iran agreed to stop enriching uranium. Iran says its right to enrich is non-negotiable and calls the demand a ceasefire violation. Both claims cannot be true. Friday's talks in Islamabad must resolve this or the ceasefire framework collapses.

Deep Analysis
Root Causes

Trump accepted Iran's 10-point plan as 'workable' while simultaneously claiming enrichment is off the table. The two positions are structurally incompatible.

First Reported In

Update #63 · Ceasefire redistributes the war, not ends it

Iran Ministry of Foreign Affairs· 9 Apr 2026
Read original
Causes and effects
This Event
Trump claims enrichment ban Iran has never confirmed
The enrichment gap is the nuclear fault line the Islamabad talks must bridge on Friday. Both sides have made public commitments that preclude quiet compromise.
Different Perspectives
Rafael Grossi, IAEA Director General
Rafael Grossi, IAEA Director General
Grossi's Update 349 of 7 May recorded a drone strike on ZNPP's radiation monitoring laboratory on 3 May. Rosatom's 17 May public attack on the Secretariat's neutrality degrades the diplomatic ground Grossi needs for the sixth repair ceasefire at day 60 on the single backup line.
Indian Government / Embassy Moscow
Indian Government / Embassy Moscow
The Indian Embassy in Moscow confirmed on 18 May that an Indian national was killed and three hospitalised at a refinery construction site in the 17 May barrage. India is among the largest buyers of discounted Russian crude; the fatality forces a diplomatic protest without changing the purchasing posture.
Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Turkish President
Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Turkish President
Erdogan met Zelenskyy in Ankara for nearly three hours on 15 May before the Istanbul session, recovering Turkey's 2022 mediator role and reducing Trump's leverage by hosting bilateral talks without Washington in the room. Turkey hosts the NATO Ankara summit on 7-8 July; the Istanbul format gives Erdogan standing at both tables simultaneously.
Viktor Orban / Hungarian Government
Viktor Orban / Hungarian Government
Budapest's new cabinet, formed 12 May, holds the institutional veto point on the EU tranche disbursement ahead of the first-half June window. Hungary has previously leveraged EU loan tranches to extract bilateral concessions; the combination of a fresh cabinet and a tight disbursement timeline makes Budapest the single highest-leverage actor in the EU track this fortnight.
European Council / Commission
European Council / Commission
The Commission is preparing a three-document disbursement package for the 9.1-billion euro first tranche of the EU loan to Ukraine, targeting first-half June, but delivery depends on the Magyar cabinet, which formed on 12 May, not blocking the mechanism. The 20th sanctions package remains in force against Russia.
Donald Trump / US Treasury
Donald Trump / US Treasury
Treasury issued GL 134C with a 48-hour gap after GL 134B expired, confirming the waiver series functions as permanent monthly management rather than a wind-down instrument. Washington was absent from the Istanbul room; Treasury Secretary Bessent framed the Cuba carve-out as protecting 'most vulnerable nations', maintaining the fiction that the 30-day bridge has a humanitarian rationale.