Skip to content
Briefings are running a touch slower this week while we rebuild the foundations.See roadmap
Russia-Ukraine War 2026
5APR

China condemns the blockade it uses

3 min read
19:51UTC

Lowdown Newsroom

ConflictDeveloping
Key takeaway

Beijing protests the blockade in public and uses it in private, and the carve-out keeps both true.

Guo Jiakun, spokesman for the Chinese Foreign Ministry, called the US blockade 'dangerous and irresponsible' on Monday and said it 'will only exacerbate tensions and undermine the already fragile ceasefire agreement.' A second statement the following day repeated the language. Beijing, Guo said, would 'make efforts to help restore peace and stability.' Between the two statements, the Chinese-owned, US-sanctioned tankers Rich Starry and Elpis transited the strait of Hormuz under CENTCOM's non-Iranian-port carve-out without incident. China has filed no formal sanctions challenge.

Beijing's annual oil imports from Iran are roughly a sixth of total crude purchases, the volume that would have given a formal legal challenge both motive and standing. The diplomatic protest and the commercial transit are the same event from different angles. Beijing is arguing against the blockade in public while its tankers use the operational order's gaps in private. The rhetorical register is escalating; the operational register is not. China's leverage sits in what moves, not what is said.

The dual posture is stable only while the carve-out holds. If CENTCOM widens its operational order to include non-Iranian-port traffic, Beijing's quiet mode ends. A formal Chinese challenge at that point would move from press briefing to UN procedural filing and would test the blockade's legality in a way the unsigned presidential posture cannot defend. The same ambiguity that currently lets Chinese crude cross freely is the ambiguity that keeps Beijing's response below the threshold that would force a reckoning over the Pacific. Both sides benefit from the fog, for now.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

China's government publicly called the US blockade 'dangerous and irresponsible' two days running. Across the same two days, two Chinese-owned tankers that the US had already sanctioned for carrying Iranian oil sailed straight through the Strait of Hormuz; because the US military's written order only blocked ships going to Iranian ports, not all Chinese-owned ships. So China is doing two things at once: complaining loudly about the blockade in public, while quietly using the gap the US military left open to keep buying discounted Iranian oil. This is not contradictory from Beijing's perspective; protesting the principle while exploiting the practice is a consistent Chinese foreign policy approach. The tanker transits are the more important signal: they demonstrate that US secondary sanctions, without matching naval enforcement, have no coercive weight over Chinese commercial operations.

Deep Analysis
Root Causes

The structural condition enabling China's dual-register response is CENTCOM's non-Iranian-port carve-out, which was written precisely to avoid triggering Chinese-flag-state incidents. CENTCOM's lawyers understood that boarding a PLA-connected tanker in international waters without a presidential directive or UNSC mandate would create a bilateral incident with no legal defence. By excluding non-Iranian-port traffic, CENTCOM preserved the status quo on China while appearing to execute a blockade.

China's structural incentive is straightforward: Iranian oil at a discount provides roughly 15 per cent of its total crude imports. The dark-fleet architecture Beijing developed since 2022; sanctioned vessels operating outside Western insurance and financial systems; was specifically designed to absorb this kind of commercial environment. The blockade's carve-out is an accidental gift to a supply chain China has been building for four years.

What could happen next?
  • Consequence

    CENTCOM's non-Iranian-port carve-out creates a structural exception for China's dark-fleet operations that cannot be closed without a presidential directive Beijing would contest as an act of economic warfare

    Immediate · 0.85
  • Risk

    If CENTCOM widens its operational order to include non-Iranian-port sanctioned traffic, China's response calculus shifts from quiet protest to potential countermeasures against US commercial interests

    Short term · 0.65
  • Precedent

    China's demonstrated ability to transit US-sanctioned vessels through a US-enforced blockade establishes a template for future secondary-sanctions evasion via dark-fleet architecture in any theatre

    Long term · 0.8
First Reported In

Update #69 · Cooper joins the instrument gap

Chinese Foreign Ministry· 15 Apr 2026
Read original
Causes and effects
This Event
China condemns the blockade it uses
Beijing's rhetorical escalation is running in the opposite direction from its operational posture, because the carve-out CENTCOM wrote lets Chinese tankers transit without any commercial cost to contesting it.
Different Perspectives
NATO eastern flank (B9 + Nordics)
NATO eastern flank (B9 + Nordics)
The B9+Nordic Bucharest joint statement on 13 May reaffirmed Ukraine's sovereignty within internationally recognised borders and backed NATO eastern flank reinforcement; the summit accepted Zelenskyy's bilateral drone deal proposal as a structural alternative to the stalled US export approval pathway, treating it as a European defence architecture question rather than aid delivery.
IAEA / Rafael Grossi
IAEA / Rafael Grossi
Grossi is still negotiating a sixth ZNPP repair ceasefire with no agreement after 50 days of 750 kV line disconnection; the 3 May ERCL drone strike that destroyed environmental monitoring equipment represents a qualitative escalation in infrastructure degradation that the IAEA has documented but cannot compel either party to halt.
Péter Magyar / Hungary
Péter Magyar / Hungary
Magyar's incoming foreign minister pledged on 12 May that Hungary will stop abusing EU veto rights; the pledge is a statement of intent rather than a binding legal commitment, and Magyar's MEPs voted against the €90 billion loan as recently as April, while a planned referendum on Ukraine's EU accession preserves a downstream blocking lever.
EU Council and European Commission
EU Council and European Commission
The Magyar cabinet formation on 12 May removes the Hungary veto that had blocked the €9.1 billion first tranche since February; the Commission is now coordinating the three-document disbursement package for an early-June vote. The structural blocker is gone; the disbursement question is now scheduling, not politics.
Donald Trump / White House
Donald Trump / White House
Trump announced a 9-11 May three-day ceasefire with a 1,000-for-1,000 prisoner exchange attached, then called peace 'getting very close' on 11-13 May while Russia's 800-drone barrage was under way; his public framing adopted Russian diplomatic language without securing any Russian operational concession or verifying the exchange was agreed.
Vladimir Putin / Kremlin
Vladimir Putin / Kremlin
Putin told reporters on 9 May the war is 'coming to an end' while Peskov confirmed on 13 May that territorial demands are unchanged and Russia requires full Ukrainian withdrawal from all four annexed regions; the verbal accommodation costs Moscow nothing and conditions any summit on a pre-finalised treaty Kyiv cannot accept.