Skip to content
You can now search across every topic, entity and event.What's new
Iran Conflict 2026
20AUG

Reuters reports extension talks; Leavitt denies

3 min read
16:36UTC

Reuters cited senior Iranian sources on 18 April saying Washington and Tehran were close to a 60-day ceasefire extension; White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said the US had not formally requested one.

ConflictDeveloping
Key takeaway

The 60-day ceasefire extension exists in Reuters reporting but not in any signed Iranian or US document.

Reuters reported on 18 April, citing senior Iranian sources, that Washington and Tehran were close to a 60-day ceasefire extension 1. White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt told reporters the US had not formally requested an extension, and a senior US official told CBS News "there are no new terms for an extension yet agreed" 2. The current Iran ceasefire expires on 22 April.

The Reuters framing ran into two denials inside 24 hours. Leavitt had already denied a formal US extension request on 17 April . Tasnim News Agency then labelled the Reuters report US psychological warfare. An extension that exists in a wire report, but not in a signed US request and not in an Iranian acknowledgement, is an extension only in the grammatical sense.

The absence of signed paper here fits a broader convergence. Four unsigned deadlines now sit inside 10 days: GL-U (already lapsed), the Iran ceasefire (22 April), the Lebanon truce (around 26 April) and the War Powers Resolution 60-day clock (29 April) . None of the four has a signed text in hand. The 60-day ceasefire extension is the third of those deadlines, and Saturday's reporting extends the pattern in which Iran-adjacent outcomes are announced on wires and social media rather than committed to paper.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

Reuters, one of the world's major wire news agencies, reported on 18 April that the United States and Iran were close to agreeing a 60-day extension of their ceasefire. The ceasefire is currently set to expire on 22 April. Within hours, White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said the US had not 'formally requested' an extension. A senior US official separately told CBS News no new terms had been agreed. This kind of contradiction between news reports and official denials is common in diplomacy ; governments often allow unofficial channels to test ideas before committing publicly. But it creates real uncertainty: if no extension is formally agreed before 22 April, both sides could technically return to full hostilities without either having explicitly chosen to do so.

What could happen next?
  • Risk

    With the ceasefire expiring on 22 April and no signed extension, Hormuz IRGC operations, US blockade enforcement, and GL-U's lapsed legal cover converge into a potential triple escalation point over a 72-hour window.

  • Consequence

    Leavitt's denial that a formal request was made means the US retains the legal and diplomatic position that the original ceasefire terms remain operative ; giving Washington flexibility to blame Iran if hostilities resume on 22 April.

First Reported In

Update #73 · Russia yes, Iran no: Treasury signs only one waiver

The White House· 19 Apr 2026
Read original
Different Perspectives
UK Maritime Trade Operations
UK Maritime Trade Operations
UKMTO logged six armed men boarding a tanker 136 nautical miles east of Al Mukalla on 20 August and redirecting it toward Somalia. A vessel steered toward the Somali coast reads as an attempted seizure, a distinct hazard from the stand-off strikes the same lane has seen before.
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf
Iran's Majlis speaker received Iraq's Hormuz carve-out request in Baghdad on 19 August, a request that treats passage as Tehran's to grant. Ghalibaf's authority over that grant sits alongside the Revolutionary Guard's separate transit rules, which have moved independently of Iran's foreign ministry before.
Haibat al-Halbousi
Haibat al-Halbousi
Iraq's parliament speaker asked Iran for special consideration on Iraqi Hormuz oil exports during Ghalibaf's 19 August Baghdad visit. Iraq presses the request from a weak position: Iran's central bank is simultaneously demanding Baghdad release Iranian reserves parked in Iraqi accounts.
Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research
Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research
Switzerland's economics ministry updated the Article 21 forms governing lawful Iran money transfers on 19 August, with only the revised forms accepted from 26 August. Bern operates one of the few remaining legal Iran payment channels and has just set a hard cutover on its control point.
Motegi Toshimitsu
Motegi Toshimitsu
Japan's foreign minister said in Muscat on 20 August that Tokyo wants closer coordination with Oman on safe Hormuz and Bab el-Mandeb passage. Japan has no naval presence of its own in the strait, so it is routing the ask through the state negotiating with Iran instead.
Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi
Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi
Oman's foreign minister joined Japan's in Muscat on 20 August to call for intensified coordination on Hormuz and Bab el-Mandeb navigation. Oman also runs the mediation track with Tehran, so the appeal travels through the same channel as the negotiation.