Skip to content
You can now search across every topic, entity and event.What's new
Iran Conflict 2026
19AUG

Iran sets six terms to reopen Hormuz

2 min read
18:42UTC

Mohammad Bagher Zolghadr set out six conditions on 8 August before Iran will reopen the Strait of Hormuz, beginning with an end to American military action.

ConflictDeveloping
Key takeaway

Iran's six conditions put the Strait of Hormuz inside a war settlement, not a shipping deal.

Mohammad Bagher Zolghadr, then secretary of Iran's SNSC (Supreme National Security Council), set out six conditions on Saturday 8 August before Iran will reopen the Strait of Hormuz 1. Washington must end its military action, lift the naval blockade, withdraw its forces, pay war damages, lift sanctions and release Iran's frozen assets. The council Zolghadr spoke for is the body that turns any agreed text into Iranian national policy, and he said it "will not retreat in war or negotiations".

Tehran has costed one of those items before. In May it told mediators it wanted $12bn in frozen assets held in Qatar released before any reopening, and refused to trade the money for what it called vague and illusory promises . The six conditions restate that demand as one line on a longer list. They also land after Washington had already answered a narrower Iranian proposal, rejecting the Majlis transit bill outright on 6 August .

Nothing on Zolghadr's list concerns pilotage, traffic separation or who inspects a hull. Each condition asks for something no shipping authority can grant, which places the reopening inside a war settlement rather than inside a maritime arrangement. A charterer reading the six items learns that a technical mechanism, however well drafted, does not open the waterway on its own.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

Iran sits on one side of the Strait of Hormuz, the narrow sea route used by Gulf oil and gas exporters. Its security council is the state body that turns a negotiated draft into national policy. Iran's six conditions ask the United States to change the war, sanctions and money issues before the route opens. They go beyond a shipping plan.

Deep Analysis
Root Causes

Iran signed but did not ratify the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea, while the Strait of Hormuz remains the sea exit for Gulf exporters. That gap lets Tehran make domestic sovereignty claims even though other states invoke transit passage.

$12bn in frozen assets formed a Hormuz precondition in May . Linking those assets, sanctions and compensation to reopening gives Tehran bargaining chips that do not depend on winning a naval engagement.

What could happen next?
  • Meaning

    The council has put political and financial demands beside maritime reopening, widening the matters that mediators must address.

  • Risk

    A technical corridor may remain unused if Washington and Tehran cannot separate passage from sanctions and war claims.

First Reported In

Update #168 · Iran replaces the man who set its terms

Islamic Republic News Agency· 11 Aug 2026
Read original
Different Perspectives
UK Maritime Trade Operations
UK Maritime Trade Operations
UKMTO logged six armed men boarding a tanker 136 nautical miles east of Al Mukalla on 20 August and redirecting it toward Somalia. A vessel steered toward the Somali coast reads as an attempted seizure, a distinct hazard from the stand-off strikes the same lane has seen before.
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf
Iran's Majlis speaker received Iraq's Hormuz carve-out request in Baghdad on 19 August, a request that treats passage as Tehran's to grant. Ghalibaf's authority over that grant sits alongside the Revolutionary Guard's separate transit rules, which have moved independently of Iran's foreign ministry before.
Haibat al-Halbousi
Haibat al-Halbousi
Iraq's parliament speaker asked Iran for special consideration on Iraqi Hormuz oil exports during Ghalibaf's 19 August Baghdad visit. Iraq presses the request from a weak position: Iran's central bank is simultaneously demanding Baghdad release Iranian reserves parked in Iraqi accounts.
Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research
Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research
Switzerland's economics ministry updated the Article 21 forms governing lawful Iran money transfers on 19 August, with only the revised forms accepted from 26 August. Bern operates one of the few remaining legal Iran payment channels and has just set a hard cutover on its control point.
Motegi Toshimitsu
Motegi Toshimitsu
Japan's foreign minister said in Muscat on 20 August that Tokyo wants closer coordination with Oman on safe Hormuz and Bab el-Mandeb passage. Japan has no naval presence of its own in the strait, so it is routing the ask through the state negotiating with Iran instead.
Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi
Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi
Oman's foreign minister joined Japan's in Muscat on 20 August to call for intensified coordination on Hormuz and Bab el-Mandeb navigation. Oman also runs the mediation track with Tehran, so the appeal travels through the same channel as the negotiation.