Skip to content
You can now search across every topic, entity and event.What's new
Iran Conflict 2026
17AUG

Ships with no Iranian tie quit Hormuz

4 min read
15:37UTC

Lloyd's List Intelligence counted 78 Hormuz transits in the week to 9 August against 95 the week before. The sharpest fall, 63 to 45, came in ships with no Iranian link.

ConflictDeveloping
Key takeaway

Hormuz traffic fell 18 per cent, and the ships with no Iranian link fell 29 per cent.

Lloyd's List Intelligence counted 78 vessel transits through the Strait of Hormuz in the week of 3 to 9 August, against 95 the week before, in a brief published on Wednesday 12 August 1. Of that 78, 45 carried no Iranian link, down from 63. The total fell 18 per cent while the non-Iranian count fell 29 per cent, so the strait is not emptying evenly.

Eighteen owners with no Iranian connection made a different choice this week from the one they made last week. Each of those hulls is a cargo that did not sail, a delivery date that moved, and a war-risk premium an underwriter decided was not worth paying. One caveat travels with the series: this briefing's own figure of 84 weekly transits, published on 7 August , counts to a different week boundary and cannot be added to it.

The two trackers part company on where the remaining ships have gone. Kpler calls the passage now carrying most tanker traffic "the Iranian route", a corridor Tehran announced by itself in April that the International Maritime Organization (IMO), the United Nations shipping regulator, has never approved and that neither Washington nor Brussels recognises 2. Lloyd's, in the same 12 August brief, reports activity concentrating instead on the Omani coast, where masters can stay outside Iran's traffic system altogether 3. Both see shipping abandoning the historic centre line. Neither agrees on which shore it moved towards, and the gap is not a rounding error: one reading has Iran gaining control of the waterway, the other has shipping routing around Iran entirely.

For Tuesday 11 August the day counts do not reconcile either. CNN, citing Kpler, reported 14 crossings, 11 of them on the Iranian route and none on the centre line 4. A Reuters wire, also citing Kpler and captured at 04:20 GMT the following morning, reported six crossings and gave no route split at all 5. Neither is Kpler's own publication for that date, so both stand here and neither is settled. Before the war Kpler counted 120 to 140 crossings a day . The drop lands in the same week Iran's security council chief told China's ambassador the strait reopens only when the United States ends its war .

Deep Analysis

In plain English

The Strait of Hormuz is the narrow waterway between Iran and Oman that most Gulf oil has to pass through. Since the war started, ships have increasingly used an alternative route that Iran declared for itself in April, rather than the traditional shipping lane down the middle. Two separate tracking firms, Kpler and Lloyd's List Intelligence, count how many ships cross and by which route, but their most recent numbers for the same day do not match: one says 14 ships, the other says 6. What both agree on is that ships with no connection to Iran are leaving the strait faster than ships that do have an Iranian tie, suggesting foreign shippers increasingly treat the waterway itself as the risk, alongside the war.

Deep Analysis
Root Causes

Neither Kpler nor Lloyd's List Intelligence can reconcile a single count because both firms infer routing from AIS transponder data, and Kpler's own note on 23 July already flagged that unofficial volumes may be higher than tracked, due to AIS-dark ship-to-ship transfers.

A route Iran declared unilaterally, outside any IMO traffic-separation scheme, has no authoritative registry either tracker can check against: only two private firms interpreting the same patchy signal, with no shared methodology published by either.

What could happen next?
  • Consequence

    A durable fork onto an IMO-unrecognised route would leave transiting vessels without the legal transit-passage protections the historic centre line carries, raising insurance and liability questions for any incident that occurs on it.

  • Risk

    Because the two main trackers cannot currently agree on a single day's vessel count, any policy response built on either figure risks acting on a snapshot rather than a verified trend.

First Reported In

Update #170 · The ships Iran does not control are leaving Hormuz

Lloyd's List Intelligence· 14 Aug 2026
Read original
Different Perspectives
Shipping and insurance underwriters
Shipping and insurance underwriters
Kpler counted five Hormuz transits on 16 August against 31 the previous weekend, while Windward logged four vessels going AIS-dark for up to a month; underwriters price both the attacks and a sanctions register that names their counterparties in unreadable scanned images. Two trackers now measure only the ships that consent to be seen.
China
China
China sits at the end of the payment chain the 14 August designation targets: Iran's shadow banking network exists to convert sanctioned oil sales, much of it to Chinese refiners, into usable funds. Beijing has previously refused to recognise OFAC's jurisdiction over its own entities buying Iranian crude, leaving this designation to test compliance rather than change trade.
Qatar
Qatar
Qatar's foreign ministry denied on 16 August holding any Iranian pilots alive, contradicting Iranian General Mohammad Bagherzadeh's claim that Doha holds three Su-24 aircrew, and said it had recovered only one set of remains. Qatar carries Iran's messages to Washington, and this is a public break with Tehran over a fact only one aircrew inquiry can settle.
Oman
Oman
Oman's shipping-map talks, covering monitoring, environment and maritime services, were publicly decoupled from any Hormuz reopening by Iran's own foreign minister on 17 August. Muscat's mediation channel keeps functioning on the narrow file it was given, while the political decision it hoped to unlock stays with Iran's security council.
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia separately called the recurrence of tanker attacks on Emirati shipping a dangerous escalation, breaking from the UAE's repeated formula. Riyadh speaking in its own name over an attack on another state's vessels signals it reads the pattern differently from Abu Dhabi's flat statements.
United Arab Emirates
United Arab Emirates
The UAE foreign ministry condemned a third ADNOC-linked tanker attack on 15 August in language identical, word for word, to its statement the day before. Three consecutive strikes on Emirati shipping have not moved Abu Dhabi's public wording by a single adjective.