Skip to content
You can now search across every topic, entity and event.What's new
Iran Conflict 2026
17AUG

Munir returns to Tehran two days on

3 min read
15:37UTC

Pakistan's army chief Asim Munir returned to Tehran on Saturday, two days after cancelling the trip, calling the talks 'highly productive' toward terminating the war.

ConflictDeveloping
Key takeaway

Munir's two-day cancel-and-return signals Islamabad now reads the deal as moving fast.

Pakistan's army chief Asim Munir made his second trip to Tehran on Saturday 23 May, two days after cancelling the first 1. The visit was described as "highly productive", with "encouraging progress" toward a final understanding. Munir had pulled out of the 21 May trip over three sticking points: the uranium stockpile, the nuclear sequencing gap, and Iranian Hormuz tolls . His return just two days later is the clearest measure of how fast Islamabad now reads the deal as moving.

Two Pakistani officials told Al Jazeera the MOU is "fairly comprehensive to terminate the war", covering a gradual Hormuz reopening, the lifting of the US blockade and the release of frozen Iranian funds 2. Pakistan has functioned as the war's primary back-channel for months; it confirmed it was the active mediator last week . The cancel-then-return cycle marks a sharp acceleration: from early March, it took Islamabad six weeks to extract a single nuclear-monitoring concession.

The carrier matters as much as the message. Iran's deal architecture runs through the IRGC and the Supreme Leader's office, not the civilian Foreign Ministry, so a military principal can engage the people who actually decide. Sending the army chief rather than the foreign minister preserves the general-officer channel that has carried the war's only concrete nuclear-monitoring movement, a channel no diplomatic visit has been able to replace.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

Pakistan's army chief, Field Marshal Asim Munir, flew to Tehran on Saturday 23 May. This was actually his second attempt that week: he had cancelled a planned trip on Thursday 21 May because three major issues were still blocking an agreement (Iran's uranium stockpile, how to sequence nuclear talks, and Hormuz tolls). Munir returned two days later and described the meeting as 'highly productive' with 'encouraging progress'. Pakistan has been acting as the go-between for the United States and Iran throughout this conflict. Neither side talks directly to the other, so Pakistan's army chief carries messages back and forth. Munir specifically carries the security and nuclear monitoring parts of the discussion because he has credibility with Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), Iran's powerful military force, in a way a civilian diplomat would not. Two Pakistani officials told Al Jazeera the draft agreement is 'fairly comprehensive to terminate the war'.

First Reported In

Update #106 · Trump says deal; OFAC says nothing

Hengaw· 24 May 2026
Read original
Different Perspectives
Shipping and insurance underwriters
Shipping and insurance underwriters
Kpler counted five Hormuz transits on 16 August against 31 the previous weekend, while Windward logged four vessels going AIS-dark for up to a month; underwriters price both the attacks and a sanctions register that names their counterparties in unreadable scanned images. Two trackers now measure only the ships that consent to be seen.
China
China
China sits at the end of the payment chain the 14 August designation targets: Iran's shadow banking network exists to convert sanctioned oil sales, much of it to Chinese refiners, into usable funds. Beijing has previously refused to recognise OFAC's jurisdiction over its own entities buying Iranian crude, leaving this designation to test compliance rather than change trade.
Qatar
Qatar
Qatar's foreign ministry denied on 16 August holding any Iranian pilots alive, contradicting Iranian General Mohammad Bagherzadeh's claim that Doha holds three Su-24 aircrew, and said it had recovered only one set of remains. Qatar carries Iran's messages to Washington, and this is a public break with Tehran over a fact only one aircrew inquiry can settle.
Oman
Oman
Oman's shipping-map talks, covering monitoring, environment and maritime services, were publicly decoupled from any Hormuz reopening by Iran's own foreign minister on 17 August. Muscat's mediation channel keeps functioning on the narrow file it was given, while the political decision it hoped to unlock stays with Iran's security council.
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia separately called the recurrence of tanker attacks on Emirati shipping a dangerous escalation, breaking from the UAE's repeated formula. Riyadh speaking in its own name over an attack on another state's vessels signals it reads the pattern differently from Abu Dhabi's flat statements.
United Arab Emirates
United Arab Emirates
The UAE foreign ministry condemned a third ADNOC-linked tanker attack on 15 August in language identical, word for word, to its statement the day before. Three consecutive strikes on Emirati shipping have not moved Abu Dhabi's public wording by a single adjective.