Skip to content
Briefings are running a touch slower this week while we rebuild the foundations.See roadmap
Russia-Ukraine War 2026
22MAY

Reuters reports extension talks; Leavitt denies

3 min read
10:57UTC

Reuters cited senior Iranian sources on 18 April saying Washington and Tehran were close to a 60-day ceasefire extension; White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said the US had not formally requested one.

ConflictDeveloping
Key takeaway

The 60-day ceasefire extension exists in Reuters reporting but not in any signed Iranian or US document.

Reuters reported on 18 April, citing senior Iranian sources, that Washington and Tehran were close to a 60-day ceasefire extension 1. White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt told reporters the US had not formally requested an extension, and a senior US official told CBS News "there are no new terms for an extension yet agreed" 2. The current Iran ceasefire expires on 22 April.

The Reuters framing ran into two denials inside 24 hours. Leavitt had already denied a formal US extension request on 17 April . Tasnim News Agency then labelled the Reuters report US psychological warfare. An extension that exists in a wire report, but not in a signed US request and not in an Iranian acknowledgement, is an extension only in the grammatical sense.

The absence of signed paper here fits a broader convergence. Four unsigned deadlines now sit inside 10 days: GL-U (already lapsed), the Iran ceasefire (22 April), the Lebanon truce (around 26 April) and the War Powers Resolution 60-day clock (29 April) . None of the four has a signed text in hand. The 60-day ceasefire extension is the third of those deadlines, and Saturday's reporting extends the pattern in which Iran-adjacent outcomes are announced on wires and social media rather than committed to paper.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

Reuters, one of the world's major wire news agencies, reported on 18 April that the United States and Iran were close to agreeing a 60-day extension of their ceasefire. The ceasefire is currently set to expire on 22 April. Within hours, White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said the US had not 'formally requested' an extension. A senior US official separately told CBS News no new terms had been agreed. This kind of contradiction between news reports and official denials is common in diplomacy ; governments often allow unofficial channels to test ideas before committing publicly. But it creates real uncertainty: if no extension is formally agreed before 22 April, both sides could technically return to full hostilities without either having explicitly chosen to do so.

What could happen next?
  • Risk

    With the ceasefire expiring on 22 April and no signed extension, Hormuz IRGC operations, US blockade enforcement, and GL-U's lapsed legal cover converge into a potential triple escalation point over a 72-hour window.

  • Consequence

    Leavitt's denial that a formal request was made means the US retains the legal and diplomatic position that the original ceasefire terms remain operative ; giving Washington flexibility to blame Iran if hostilities resume on 22 April.

First Reported In

Update #73 · Russia yes, Iran no: Treasury signs only one waiver

The White House· 19 Apr 2026
Read original
Different Perspectives
Rafael Grossi, IAEA Director General
Rafael Grossi, IAEA Director General
Grossi's Update 349 of 7 May recorded a drone strike on ZNPP's radiation monitoring laboratory on 3 May. Rosatom's 17 May public attack on the Secretariat's neutrality degrades the diplomatic ground Grossi needs for the sixth repair ceasefire at day 60 on the single backup line.
Indian Government / Embassy Moscow
Indian Government / Embassy Moscow
The Indian Embassy in Moscow confirmed on 18 May that an Indian national was killed and three hospitalised at a refinery construction site in the 17 May barrage. India is among the largest buyers of discounted Russian crude; the fatality forces a diplomatic protest without changing the purchasing posture.
Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Turkish President
Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Turkish President
Erdogan met Zelenskyy in Ankara for nearly three hours on 15 May before the Istanbul session, recovering Turkey's 2022 mediator role and reducing Trump's leverage by hosting bilateral talks without Washington in the room. Turkey hosts the NATO Ankara summit on 7-8 July; the Istanbul format gives Erdogan standing at both tables simultaneously.
Viktor Orban / Hungarian Government
Viktor Orban / Hungarian Government
Budapest's new cabinet, formed 12 May, holds the institutional veto point on the EU tranche disbursement ahead of the first-half June window. Hungary has previously leveraged EU loan tranches to extract bilateral concessions; the combination of a fresh cabinet and a tight disbursement timeline makes Budapest the single highest-leverage actor in the EU track this fortnight.
European Council / Commission
European Council / Commission
The Commission is preparing a three-document disbursement package for the 9.1-billion euro first tranche of the EU loan to Ukraine, targeting first-half June, but delivery depends on the Magyar cabinet, which formed on 12 May, not blocking the mechanism. The 20th sanctions package remains in force against Russia.
Donald Trump / US Treasury
Donald Trump / US Treasury
Treasury issued GL 134C with a 48-hour gap after GL 134B expired, confirming the waiver series functions as permanent monthly management rather than a wind-down instrument. Washington was absent from the Istanbul room; Treasury Secretary Bessent framed the Cuba carve-out as protecting 'most vulnerable nations', maintaining the fiction that the 30-day bridge has a humanitarian rationale.