Skip to content
Briefings are running a touch slower this week while we rebuild the foundations.See roadmap
Iran Conflict 2026
20MAR

China condemns the blockade it uses

3 min read
05:44UTC

Lowdown Newsroom

ConflictDeveloping
Key takeaway

Beijing protests the blockade in public and uses it in private, and the carve-out keeps both true.

Guo Jiakun, spokesman for the Chinese Foreign Ministry, called the US blockade 'dangerous and irresponsible' on Monday and said it 'will only exacerbate tensions and undermine the already fragile ceasefire agreement.' A second statement the following day repeated the language. Beijing, Guo said, would 'make efforts to help restore peace and stability.' Between the two statements, the Chinese-owned, US-sanctioned tankers Rich Starry and Elpis transited the strait of Hormuz under CENTCOM's non-Iranian-port carve-out without incident. China has filed no formal sanctions challenge.

Beijing's annual oil imports from Iran are roughly a sixth of total crude purchases, the volume that would have given a formal legal challenge both motive and standing. The diplomatic protest and the commercial transit are the same event from different angles. Beijing is arguing against the blockade in public while its tankers use the operational order's gaps in private. The rhetorical register is escalating; the operational register is not. China's leverage sits in what moves, not what is said.

The dual posture is stable only while the carve-out holds. If CENTCOM widens its operational order to include non-Iranian-port traffic, Beijing's quiet mode ends. A formal Chinese challenge at that point would move from press briefing to UN procedural filing and would test the blockade's legality in a way the unsigned presidential posture cannot defend. The same ambiguity that currently lets Chinese crude cross freely is the ambiguity that keeps Beijing's response below the threshold that would force a reckoning over the Pacific. Both sides benefit from the fog, for now.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

China's government publicly called the US blockade 'dangerous and irresponsible' two days running. Across the same two days, two Chinese-owned tankers that the US had already sanctioned for carrying Iranian oil sailed straight through the Strait of Hormuz; because the US military's written order only blocked ships going to Iranian ports, not all Chinese-owned ships. So China is doing two things at once: complaining loudly about the blockade in public, while quietly using the gap the US military left open to keep buying discounted Iranian oil. This is not contradictory from Beijing's perspective; protesting the principle while exploiting the practice is a consistent Chinese foreign policy approach. The tanker transits are the more important signal: they demonstrate that US secondary sanctions, without matching naval enforcement, have no coercive weight over Chinese commercial operations.

Deep Analysis
Root Causes

The structural condition enabling China's dual-register response is CENTCOM's non-Iranian-port carve-out, which was written precisely to avoid triggering Chinese-flag-state incidents. CENTCOM's lawyers understood that boarding a PLA-connected tanker in international waters without a presidential directive or UNSC mandate would create a bilateral incident with no legal defence. By excluding non-Iranian-port traffic, CENTCOM preserved the status quo on China while appearing to execute a blockade.

China's structural incentive is straightforward: Iranian oil at a discount provides roughly 15 per cent of its total crude imports. The dark-fleet architecture Beijing developed since 2022; sanctioned vessels operating outside Western insurance and financial systems; was specifically designed to absorb this kind of commercial environment. The blockade's carve-out is an accidental gift to a supply chain China has been building for four years.

What could happen next?
  • Consequence

    CENTCOM's non-Iranian-port carve-out creates a structural exception for China's dark-fleet operations that cannot be closed without a presidential directive Beijing would contest as an act of economic warfare

    Immediate · 0.85
  • Risk

    If CENTCOM widens its operational order to include non-Iranian-port sanctioned traffic, China's response calculus shifts from quiet protest to potential countermeasures against US commercial interests

    Short term · 0.65
  • Precedent

    China's demonstrated ability to transit US-sanctioned vessels through a US-enforced blockade establishes a template for future secondary-sanctions evasion via dark-fleet architecture in any theatre

    Long term · 0.8
First Reported In

Update #69 · Cooper joins the instrument gap

Chinese Foreign Ministry· 15 Apr 2026
Read original
Causes and effects
This Event
China condemns the blockade it uses
Beijing's rhetorical escalation is running in the opposite direction from its operational posture, because the carve-out CENTCOM wrote lets Chinese tankers transit without any commercial cost to contesting it.
Different Perspectives
IAEA
IAEA
Director General Rafael Grossi appeared in person at the UNSC on 19 May and warned that a direct hit on an operating reactor 'could result in very high release of radioactivity'. The session produced a condemnation record but no resolution, and the Barakah perimeter was already struck on 17 May.
Hengaw (Kurdish rights monitor)
Hengaw (Kurdish rights monitor)
Hengaw documented three judicial executions and the detention of Kurdish writer Majid Karimi in Tehran on 19 May, establishing Khorasan Razavi province as the newest geography in Iran's wartime judicial record. The organisation's Norway-based operation continues to surface a domestic repression track running in parallel with every diplomatic and military development.
India
India
Six India-flagged vessels conducted a coordinated cluster transit under PGSA bilateral assurances during the 17 May window, paying no yuan tolls. New Delhi's inclusion in Iran's state-to-state passage track insulates Indian energy supply without requiring endorsement of the PGSA's yuan-toll architecture or alignment with the US coalition.
Pakistan
Pakistan
Pakistan is the only functioning diplomatic bridge between Tehran and Washington. Its role is relay, not mediation in the settlement sense: it conveyed Iran's 10-point counter-MOU in early May, relayed the US rejection, and is now passing 'corrective points' in the third documented exchange of this sub-cycle without either side working from a shared text.
UK and France (Northwood coalition)
UK and France (Northwood coalition)
Twenty-six coalition members have published no rules of engagement eight days after the Bahrain joint statement; Lloyd's underwriters have conditioned war-risk reopening on written ROE from either Iran or the coalition. Italian and French mine-countermeasures deployments are operating on the in-water clearance task CENTCOM Admiral Brad Cooper's 90% mine-stockpile claim does not address.
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia
Riyadh has not publicly commented on the Barakah strike or the 50-47 discharge vote. Saudi output feeds the IEA's $106 base case; the $5 Brent premium above that model reflects institutional uncertainty no Gulf producer can compress through supply adjustment alone.