Skip to content
You can now search across every topic, entity and event.What's new
Iran Conflict 2026
20AUG

Qatar restart leaves a fifth out

3 min read
16:36UTC

QatarEnergy told buyers it can reach 50% of capacity within a month of safe Hormuz passage and 80% within two, but two production trains destroyed in March cap full recovery for years.

ConflictDeveloping
Key takeaway

QatarEnergy can restart to 80% in two months, but two destroyed trains cap a fifth of global LNG for years.

QatarEnergy told buyers it can reach 50% of capacity within one month of safe Hormuz passage and 80% within two months, but full recovery of its Ras Laffan complex runs to years because two production trains were destroyed in March 1. QatarEnergy is the world's largest LNG exporter; Ras Laffan is its industrial city on the Gulf coast, the single largest LNG export complex on the planet. It shipped close to a fifth of global LNG last year, which makes the two-train loss a permanent structural cap of roughly 20% on what can return whenever the strait clears.

QatarEnergy starts that restart clock only once a Hormuz safe-passage date lands, which the US-Iran memorandum has not yet set. Even then, the 50% and 80% milestones describe a partial plant: the destroyed trains are not a maintenance outage that clears with a schedule, but capacity that has to be rebuilt. Pre-conflict European import volumes are therefore off the table at any reopening date, not merely delayed.

That gap matters because the curve is not pricing it. The same forward strip that prices a fuller refill than the physical balance supports also prices a fuller Qatari recovery than the destroyed plant can deliver, the wedge OIES quantified this week and covered in event 4. Goldman Sachs reinforced the read on 17 June, pushing its end-of-July restart estimate later as anchored vessels queued (covered in event 6), against a benchmark that had already begun selling into the diplomacy . The restart math says the supply side recovers slower and shallower than the prompt collapse implies.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

Qatar owns the world's largest liquefied natural gas export terminal at Ras Laffan, which ships gas chilled to liquid form onto specialised tankers that carry it to Europe and Asia. During the conflict in spring 2026, two of the factory-like production units at the terminal were destroyed. Qatar says it can restart to half-capacity within a month of the shipping route reopening, and to 80% within two months. But the two destroyed units represent about a fifth of the terminal's total output, and rebuilding them from scratch takes years. Meanwhile, roughly 500 cargo ships are still waiting outside the Strait of Hormuz, the narrow sea passage that all Qatar's tankers must use. Shipping companies are cautious: the strait may have been mined during the conflict, and insurers want proof it is safe before allowing normal operations. Goldman Sachs estimates full shipping normalisation will not happen until the end of July at the earliest.

Deep Analysis
Root Causes

The two-train loss at Ras Laffan is a structural supply constraint arising from infrastructure destruction rather than market dynamics. Ras Laffan's production trains are large cryogenic process units, each typically 4-8 mtpa of LNG capacity, whose destruction during the March 2026 conflict requires replacement of heat exchangers, compressor trains, and in some cases structural foundations that cannot be patched in situ.

The 500 vessels still anchored outside Hormuz after the memorandum reflect a second structural delay: shipowners and war-risk insurers require physical evidence of mine-clearance completion and insurance market re-opening before resuming commercial transit through a recent conflict zone.

The Lloyd's of London and Scandinavian P&I clubs, which cover the majority of global LNG tanker liability, typically require a mine-free certificate from a recognised naval authority before removing enhanced war-risk premiums, a process that takes weeks to months, explaining Goldman's end-July normalisation estimate.

What could happen next?
  • Consequence

    A permanent 20% cap on Qatari LNG output, equivalent to roughly 4 bcm/month below pre-conflict levels, requires Europe to source replacement LNG from Atlantic Basin suppliers at freight premiums that may widen TTF-JKM competition over winter.

  • Risk

    Goldman's end-July LNG normalisation date, if it slips further due to insurer hesitancy or mine-clearance delays, would directly shrink the July injection window, the highest-volume injection month in the EU calendar, and push storage further below the 80% floor.

First Reported In

Update #19 · German spark spread flips +EUR 15 in 48hrs

InvestingLive· 18 Jun 2026
Read original
Different Perspectives
UK Maritime Trade Operations
UK Maritime Trade Operations
UKMTO logged six armed men boarding a tanker 136 nautical miles east of Al Mukalla on 20 August and redirecting it toward Somalia. A vessel steered toward the Somali coast reads as an attempted seizure, a distinct hazard from the stand-off strikes the same lane has seen before.
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf
Iran's Majlis speaker received Iraq's Hormuz carve-out request in Baghdad on 19 August, a request that treats passage as Tehran's to grant. Ghalibaf's authority over that grant sits alongside the Revolutionary Guard's separate transit rules, which have moved independently of Iran's foreign ministry before.
Haibat al-Halbousi
Haibat al-Halbousi
Iraq's parliament speaker asked Iran for special consideration on Iraqi Hormuz oil exports during Ghalibaf's 19 August Baghdad visit. Iraq presses the request from a weak position: Iran's central bank is simultaneously demanding Baghdad release Iranian reserves parked in Iraqi accounts.
Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research
Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research
Switzerland's economics ministry updated the Article 21 forms governing lawful Iran money transfers on 19 August, with only the revised forms accepted from 26 August. Bern operates one of the few remaining legal Iran payment channels and has just set a hard cutover on its control point.
Motegi Toshimitsu
Motegi Toshimitsu
Japan's foreign minister said in Muscat on 20 August that Tokyo wants closer coordination with Oman on safe Hormuz and Bab el-Mandeb passage. Japan has no naval presence of its own in the strait, so it is routing the ask through the state negotiating with Iran instead.
Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi
Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi
Oman's foreign minister joined Japan's in Muscat on 20 August to call for intensified coordination on Hormuz and Bab el-Mandeb navigation. Oman also runs the mediation track with Tehran, so the appeal travels through the same channel as the negotiation.