Skip to content
You can now search across every topic, entity and event.What's new
Iran Conflict 2026
20AUG

Trump won't rule out Iran ground troops

3 min read
16:36UTC

While claiming Iran has been 'demolished,' Trump refused to rule out ground forces for the first time — the gap between the two statements contains the campaign's central strategic problem.

ConflictDeveloping
Key takeaway

Trump's 'demolished' claim is factually accurate for naval and missile forces but entirely false for Iranian ground forces and the IRGC, meaning 'never say never' on troops is less a deliberate contingency signal than an implicit acknowledgement that the air campaign cannot produce political outcomes against intact ground capacity.

President Trump told reporters Thursday that Iran was being "demolished ahead of schedule and at levels people have never seen before," claiming Iran has "no air force, no air defence, no navy." Asked whether ground troops might be deployed, Trump said: "Never say never."

The statement is the first departure from the air-only campaign framing at the presidential level. Defence Secretary Hegseth stated on Day 3 that this was "not a regime change war" . CENTCOM was subsequently directed to "dismantle the Iranian regime's security apparatus" — a war aim encompassing the IRGC, Basij, MOIS, and internal security forces that maintain the current government's domestic control . Trump's formulation sits between these two positions: not committing to ground forces, but explicitly refusing to rule them out.

The gap between "demolished" and "never say never" contains the campaign's central problem. More than 30 Iranian naval vessels have been destroyed and missile launches are down 90% from Day 1. Iran's conventional military — the surface fleet, air defences, fixed Ballistic missile launchers that took three decades to build — has been degraded at a pace not seen since the destruction of Iraq's armed forces in 2003. But conventional military destruction and political outcomes are different things. The United States destroyed Iraq's conventional forces in three weeks; the political consequences lasted two decades.

Iran's remaining military capacity is precisely what air power struggles to eliminate: the IRGC's asymmetric warfare infrastructure, proxy networks across four countries, and the dispersed Mosaic Defence units that have devolved launch authority to 31 provincial commanders . The conventional capabilities destroyed this week were three decades of attempted modernisation layered on top of the IRGC's original design — an organisation built during the Iran-Iraq War for exactly the kind of distributed, attritional warfare that a ground campaign would face. Trump's "never say never" acknowledges, perhaps inadvertently, that destroying what can be seen from the air does not guarantee the political result Washington wants.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

Trump told reporters Iran has no air force, no air defences, and no navy — which is largely accurate for those specific capabilities after a week of strikes. What he did not mention is that the IRGC — Iran's elite military-political force of roughly 125,000 — and the regular army's ground divisions were never targeted and remain entirely intact. When Trump says 'never say never' about ground troops, he is contradicting his own Defence Secretary, who said three days earlier this was 'not a regime change war.' A ground war in Iran — a country of 83 million people with difficult mountain terrain and a sophisticated irregular warfare doctrine — would be categorically larger than Iraq or Afghanistan, requiring forces the US does not currently have positioned in the region.

Deep Analysis
Synthesis

Trump's simultaneous 'demolished' victory declaration and ground-troops non-denial reveals the fundamental strategic tension: the air campaign was designed to coerce behavioural change, but Iranian leadership is dispersed, succession-ambiguous, and the foreign minister is now refusing talks — none of which are the responses of a coerced adversary. The administration is publicly claiming success while the political objective recedes, a dynamic that historically produces escalation decisions rather than graceful exit.

Root Causes

The air-only campaign was premised on achieving political outcomes through kinetic degradation of Iran's conventional military; but the campaign's actual targeting — leadership infrastructure, succession arrangements, missile forces, naval assets — is structurally a regime-change campaign, creating an incoherence between Hegseth's stated 'not regime change' framing and the operational logic that 'never say never' now exposes.

Escalation

The gap between Trump's 'demolished' public framing and the intact state of Iranian ground forces creates a domestic political self-trap: if Iran demonstrates continued capability through proxies, cyber operations, or direct action, Trump faces pressure to escalate to validate the 'demolished' claim — a logic that makes ground deployment more likely the more Iran is seen to be acting, regardless of whether the action is militarily significant.

What could happen next?
  • Risk

    Trump's 'demolished' public framing creates domestic political pressure to escalate if Iran's residual capabilities produce further US casualties or allied strikes, regardless of whether ground deployment is militarily rational.

    Short term · Assessed
  • Consequence

    Hegseth's Day 3 'not a regime change war' framing is now publicly contradicted at presidential level, degrading the coherence of US strategic communication to allies and adversaries simultaneously.

    Immediate · Assessed
  • Precedent

    A presidential 'never say never' on ground troops, once stated publicly, is nearly impossible to walk back without signalling weakness — it is now a fixed input in Iran's threat calculus and ally planning assumptions.

    Immediate · Assessed
  • Risk

    A ground force deployment without Congressional authorisation would face immediate War Powers Resolution challenge, creating a constitutional crisis concurrent with active combat operations.

    Short term · Assessed
First Reported In

Update #23 · Iran loses half its navy; China eyes Hormuz

Al Jazeera· 6 Mar 2026
Read original
Causes and effects
This Event
Trump won't rule out Iran ground troops
Trump's refusal to rule out ground troops is the first crack in the air-only campaign framing at the presidential level. It acknowledges implicitly that destroying Iran's conventional military may not produce the political outcome Washington seeks — the same gap between military victory and political resolution that defined the 2003 Iraq campaign.
Different Perspectives
UK Maritime Trade Operations
UK Maritime Trade Operations
UKMTO logged six armed men boarding a tanker 136 nautical miles east of Al Mukalla on 20 August and redirecting it toward Somalia. A vessel steered toward the Somali coast reads as an attempted seizure, a distinct hazard from the stand-off strikes the same lane has seen before.
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf
Iran's Majlis speaker received Iraq's Hormuz carve-out request in Baghdad on 19 August, a request that treats passage as Tehran's to grant. Ghalibaf's authority over that grant sits alongside the Revolutionary Guard's separate transit rules, which have moved independently of Iran's foreign ministry before.
Haibat al-Halbousi
Haibat al-Halbousi
Iraq's parliament speaker asked Iran for special consideration on Iraqi Hormuz oil exports during Ghalibaf's 19 August Baghdad visit. Iraq presses the request from a weak position: Iran's central bank is simultaneously demanding Baghdad release Iranian reserves parked in Iraqi accounts.
Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research
Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research
Switzerland's economics ministry updated the Article 21 forms governing lawful Iran money transfers on 19 August, with only the revised forms accepted from 26 August. Bern operates one of the few remaining legal Iran payment channels and has just set a hard cutover on its control point.
Motegi Toshimitsu
Motegi Toshimitsu
Japan's foreign minister said in Muscat on 20 August that Tokyo wants closer coordination with Oman on safe Hormuz and Bab el-Mandeb passage. Japan has no naval presence of its own in the strait, so it is routing the ask through the state negotiating with Iran instead.
Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi
Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi
Oman's foreign minister joined Japan's in Muscat on 20 August to call for intensified coordination on Hormuz and Bab el-Mandeb navigation. Oman also runs the mediation track with Tehran, so the appeal travels through the same channel as the negotiation.