Skip to content
Briefings are running a touch slower this week while we rebuild the foundations.See roadmap
Cuba Dispatch
18MAY

Monitors: Cuba amnesty excludes political cases

3 min read
19:15UTC

OCDH documented 277 repressive actions in March and HRW reported on 8 April that La Lima releases excluded government critics.

PoliticsDeveloping
Key takeaway

The amnesty arithmetic: 1,214 political prisoners minus 51 announced, plus 53 new detentions, minus verification.

On 7 April 2026 the OCDH (Observatorio Cubano de Derechos Humanos, a Madrid-based monitoring organisation) published its March report documenting 277 repressive actions including 53 detentions, and stated that no political prisoner was included in the announced Amnesty 1. A day later, on 8 April, Human Rights Watch reported that prisoner releases from La Lima prison excluded government critics and opposition figures.

The numbers do not reconcile with Havana's narrative. Prisoners Defenders, which maintains the authoritative census Cuba-watchers rely on, counted 1,214 political prisoners in March 2026 with 28 new cases logged in February alone 2. OCDH separately recorded 15 people detained for protesting and 21 political prisoners released over the month. Work through the arithmetic: 51 releases announced against 1,214 documented leaves roughly 1,163 political prisoners unaccounted for, and the 53 new detentions in March mean the political-prisoner stock is being refreshed even as the headline releases are announced.

The methodological gap cuts in a specific direction. OCDH and Prisoners Defenders work from named-case registries maintained in the diaspora with witness and family corroboration. The Cuban government has published no named roster of the 3 April releases, which makes verification one-sided. HRW's 8 April finding is consistent with both monitors' counts. For any US concession that would be contingent on political-prisoner releases, the operative figure is 1,214 minus the diplomatic theatre, and the theatre has so far moved the denominator barely at all.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

Independent human rights groups counted 1,214 Cuban political prisoners as of March 2026; people jailed for what they said or did in protest against the government, not for ordinary crimes. Cuba says these are criminals who broke Cuban law. Human rights monitors say they are political detainees. The Cuban government's announcement that 2,000+ prisoners were freed sounds large; but the monitors say none of them were the political prisoners on the documented list. The bottom line: the 2,000 released were mostly criminal prisoners, not dissidents. The documented list of political prisoners barely moved.

What could happen next?
  • Consequence

    The 53 new detentions recorded in March simultaneously with the April 3 releases means the political-prisoner stock is being refreshed even as headline releases occur; the net effect on the documented list is marginal at best.

  • Risk

    If Washington treats the April 3 release wave as partial compliance without a named-case audit, it sets a precedent that headcount releases; not named political prisoner releases; satisfy the diplomatic condition.

First Reported In

Update #1 · Cuba carve-out survives Venezuela oil easing

Observatorio Cubano de Derechos Humanos· 15 Apr 2026
Read original
Causes and effects
This Event
Monitors: Cuba amnesty excludes political cases
Independent monitoring contradicts the government's amnesty framing and sets the benchmark of 1,214 political prisoners against which any US concession would have to be weighed.
Different Perspectives
OCDH and dissident coalition (Otero Alcántara, Osorbo proxies)
OCDH and dissident coalition (Otero Alcántara, Osorbo proxies)
The Madrid-based OCDH coordinated the 13 May Brussels handover after the Cuban Supreme Popular Court rejected Otero Alcántara's early-release appeal in late April. The coalition's pivot to the EU restrictive-measures track follows procedural closure of the early-release vector before the 24 April US deadline lapsed.
European Union (Kajsa Ollongren)
European Union (Kajsa Ollongren)
Ollongren received the Acuerdo de Liberación in Brussels on 13 May from OCDH, Cuba Decide, Alianza de Cristianos de Cuba and Christian Solidarity Worldwide, a four-organisation petition for EU asset freezes on named Cuban officials and a victims' compensation fund. Brussels has been asked to open a restrictive-measures track parallel to the US personal-sanctions architecture.
Russia and Sovcomflot
Russia and Sovcomflot
Moscow stayed publicly silent on the Universal's status after the 16 May GL 134B expiry. The 270,000-barrel diesel cargo sits roughly 1,000 nautical miles from Cuba under an exclusion clause operative from loading; Sovcomflot carries indefinite legal exposure without US enforcement, and the announced replacement for the depleted Kolodkin is the very vessel that cannot lawfully unload.
Holy See (Pope Leo XIV)
Holy See (Pope Leo XIV)
Pope Leo XIV hosted Rubio for 45 minutes on 9 May with Cuba and Venezuela on the agenda, opening institutional space for US humanitarian aid routed through the Catholic Church rather than GAESA. His three pre-pontifical Cuba visits (2008, 2011, 2019) give the Holy See standing inside Cuban Catholic infrastructure that the State Department lacks.
Cuban government (Díaz-Canel, Rodríguez Parrilla, De la O Levy)
Cuban government (Díaz-Canel, Rodríguez Parrilla, De la O Levy)
Díaz-Canel's 13 May Facebook post offered dialogue "on equal terms" while ruling out political prisoners on the table; De la O Levy publicly conceded the island was "out of fuel" and corrected the Venezuelan cut-off date to November 2025. The framing casts US pressure as collective punishment without naming EO 14404 directly.
Trump administration and Florida Republican delegation (Bessent, Rubio, Giménez, Díaz-Balart, Salazar)
Trump administration and Florida Republican delegation (Bessent, Rubio, Giménez, Díaz-Balart, Salazar)
OFAC let GL 134B lapse on 16 May without a successor and added Lastres Morera as the first SDN under EO 14404 on 7 May. Giménez's 7 May press release endorsed the order as targeting the "regime's security apparatus"; Díaz-Balart and Salazar aligned. The Florida delegation moved from pressure to credit-taking on the personal-sanctions architecture.