Skip to content
You can now search across every topic, entity and event.What's new
Iran Conflict 2026
20AUG

Four dead Americans put back on the list

2 min read
16:36UTC

The Department of War restored its Iran war death toll to 18 on 26 July, four days after cutting it to 14, and moved the wounded count from 420 back to 624.

ConflictDeveloping
Key takeaway

The Pentagon restored 18 dead and 624 wounded on 26 July, citing unspecified site anomalies.

The Department of War put the US death toll for the Iran war back at 18 on Sunday 26 July, reversing the cut to 14 it had made two days earlier 1. The wounded figure moved the same way: 624 since the fighting began in February, against the 420 the same system published on 24 July 2. Of that total, 207 were hurt since 7 July. No cutoff rule accompanied either revision.

The figures live in the Defense Casualty Analysis System, the Pentagon's public database of US military dead and wounded, which is where reporters, veterans' organisations and congressional staff go for a number nobody has to be briefed on. Acting press secretary Joel Valdez offered one sentence about how it had moved: "site anomalies are currently being resolved in coordination with the military services"3.

The four names taken off last week belonged to service members the Pentagon had itself named and honoured, killed at Muwaffaq Salti Air Base in Jordan on 17 July. A database that removes a dead airman and then returns him has told two contradictory things to the same family in the space of four days, and neither statement came with a signature.

Restoring the count also restores the arithmetic Congress works from. Every casualty-linked entitlement, from hostile-fire pay to Department of Veterans Affairs casework, keys off a published figure attached to a named operation, so a number that oscillates is not merely embarrassing bookkeeping. It leaves the claimant carrying the burden of proving which version applied on the day.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

The Department of War, the Pentagon's own name for the US defence department, keeps a running count of American troops killed and wounded in the Iran war. On 24 July it quietly lowered that count. Two days later it put the number back up, plus 624 wounded, higher than before the cut. Nobody has explained the four dead by name or said what happened to them. For a war Congress never formally declared, this running number is one of the few concrete measures the public has of how costly it has become, so seeing it move up and down without explanation matters.

Deep Analysis
Root Causes

The Defense Casualty Analysis System pulls figures from separate Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine reporting chains, each with its own lag between a death occurring and its classification moving from duty-status-unknown through confirmed killed-in-action.

Sergeant Angel Rampersad's status changed from Duty Status Whereabouts Unknown to believed deceased four days after his 17 July attack, the same kind of reclassification lag that can make a cumulative total jump or drop without any new incident behind it.

The four names cut on 24 July and restored on 26 July died after Trump's late-April ceasefire declaration, according to three military officials cited by the New York Times, meaning their inclusion or exclusion depends on where the Pentagon draws the line between the declared end of major operations and the unofficial fighting reflected in later strikes.

What could happen next?
  • Meaning

    A public casualty count that moves without explanation twice in a week signals the Pentagon's own accounting system, not just the war, is under strain.

  • Risk

    Continued unexplained revisions give critics grounds to challenge the administration's public narrative about the war's cost, regardless of the true cause.

First Reported In

Update #163 · Pentagon puts four dead back, renames war

ABC News· 28 Jul 2026
Read original
Causes and effects
This Event
Four dead Americans put back on the list
Four families watched a federal database carry their relatives into the war, out of it, and back in again inside a fortnight, with one sentence of explanation.
Different Perspectives
UK Maritime Trade Operations
UK Maritime Trade Operations
UKMTO logged six armed men boarding a tanker 136 nautical miles east of Al Mukalla on 20 August and redirecting it toward Somalia. A vessel steered toward the Somali coast reads as an attempted seizure, a distinct hazard from the stand-off strikes the same lane has seen before.
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf
Iran's Majlis speaker received Iraq's Hormuz carve-out request in Baghdad on 19 August, a request that treats passage as Tehran's to grant. Ghalibaf's authority over that grant sits alongside the Revolutionary Guard's separate transit rules, which have moved independently of Iran's foreign ministry before.
Haibat al-Halbousi
Haibat al-Halbousi
Iraq's parliament speaker asked Iran for special consideration on Iraqi Hormuz oil exports during Ghalibaf's 19 August Baghdad visit. Iraq presses the request from a weak position: Iran's central bank is simultaneously demanding Baghdad release Iranian reserves parked in Iraqi accounts.
Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research
Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research
Switzerland's economics ministry updated the Article 21 forms governing lawful Iran money transfers on 19 August, with only the revised forms accepted from 26 August. Bern operates one of the few remaining legal Iran payment channels and has just set a hard cutover on its control point.
Motegi Toshimitsu
Motegi Toshimitsu
Japan's foreign minister said in Muscat on 20 August that Tokyo wants closer coordination with Oman on safe Hormuz and Bab el-Mandeb passage. Japan has no naval presence of its own in the strait, so it is routing the ask through the state negotiating with Iran instead.
Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi
Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi
Oman's foreign minister joined Japan's in Muscat on 20 August to call for intensified coordination on Hormuz and Bab el-Mandeb navigation. Oman also runs the mediation track with Tehran, so the appeal travels through the same channel as the negotiation.