Skip to content
You can now search across every topic, entity and event.What's new
Iran Conflict 2026
17AUG

CENTCOM pauses as Trump warns of more

2 min read
15:37UTC

US Central Command announced no new military action against Iran on Friday 24 July, after strikes on nearly every night of the preceding fortnight. Trump told Axios he is weighing an operation bigger than ever before.

ConflictDeveloping
Key takeaway

American strikes stopped for a day while the president promised a larger campaign with no date attached.

US Central Command (CENTCOM), the American military command responsible for the Middle East, announced no new military action against Iran on Friday 24 July, after strikes on nearly every night of the preceding fortnight 1. Donald Trump told Axios the same day that he is weighing an operation "bigger than ever before", with no deadline attached 2. On 25 July he told reporters he thinks Tehran would "love to make a deal" but does not think "they're ready to" 3.

Washington's two most visible moves of the preceding week both pointed the other way. F-16 and F-35 jets with refuelling aircraft arrived in the Gulf on 22 July , and Trump threatened on the same day to hit Pickaxe Mountain, the underground site Israeli intelligence assesses now holds centrifuges and enriched uranium moved out of Iran's damaged plants, very soon and heavily . Neither the aircraft nor the threat has been withdrawn.

CENTCOM does not announce every sortie, and a quiet Friday is a data point rather than a doctrine. What the American government did execute across 24 and 25 July was a Treasury designation and an edit to a casualty list. A designation freezes accounts, and neither instrument drops ordnance on anything. Tehran will read the gap between the tanker deployment and the empty target list for whatever it is worth, and so will the Gulf capitals now reportedly flying missions of their own.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

CENTCOM is the part of the US military in charge of operations in the Middle East. For the first time in about two weeks, it made no announcement of new military action against Iran on 24 July. That might sound like good news, but President Trump said the same day that he is thinking about launching an attack bigger than anything so far, without saying when. He also said on 25 July that he thinks Iran wants a deal but is not ready to accept one yet.

Deep Analysis
Escalation

Direction: ambiguous. A pause in strikes points toward de-escalation, but it sits alongside Trump's stated intent to consider an operation larger than any conducted so far, with no timeline attached. The two signals point in opposite directions and neither has yet produced a concrete order.

What could happen next?
  • Risk

    An undated threat of a larger operation keeps regional actors, including Gulf host states, in a state of continued military readiness even during a lull in visible strikes.

  • Opportunity

    A pause in nightly strikes creates a window mediators could use to press for a ceasefire before any larger operation materialises.

First Reported In

Update #161 · Bahrain and Kuwait struck Iran, WSJ reports

CNN· 25 Jul 2026
Read original
Different Perspectives
Shipping and insurance underwriters
Shipping and insurance underwriters
Kpler counted five Hormuz transits on 16 August against 31 the previous weekend, while Windward logged four vessels going AIS-dark for up to a month; underwriters price both the attacks and a sanctions register that names their counterparties in unreadable scanned images. Two trackers now measure only the ships that consent to be seen.
China
China
China sits at the end of the payment chain the 14 August designation targets: Iran's shadow banking network exists to convert sanctioned oil sales, much of it to Chinese refiners, into usable funds. Beijing has previously refused to recognise OFAC's jurisdiction over its own entities buying Iranian crude, leaving this designation to test compliance rather than change trade.
Qatar
Qatar
Qatar's foreign ministry denied on 16 August holding any Iranian pilots alive, contradicting Iranian General Mohammad Bagherzadeh's claim that Doha holds three Su-24 aircrew, and said it had recovered only one set of remains. Qatar carries Iran's messages to Washington, and this is a public break with Tehran over a fact only one aircrew inquiry can settle.
Oman
Oman
Oman's shipping-map talks, covering monitoring, environment and maritime services, were publicly decoupled from any Hormuz reopening by Iran's own foreign minister on 17 August. Muscat's mediation channel keeps functioning on the narrow file it was given, while the political decision it hoped to unlock stays with Iran's security council.
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia separately called the recurrence of tanker attacks on Emirati shipping a dangerous escalation, breaking from the UAE's repeated formula. Riyadh speaking in its own name over an attack on another state's vessels signals it reads the pattern differently from Abu Dhabi's flat statements.
United Arab Emirates
United Arab Emirates
The UAE foreign ministry condemned a third ADNOC-linked tanker attack on 15 August in language identical, word for word, to its statement the day before. Three consecutive strikes on Emirati shipping have not moved Abu Dhabi's public wording by a single adjective.