Skip to content
You can now search across every topic, entity and event.What's new
Iran Conflict 2026
17AUG

Strike halt lands across two days

2 min read
15:37UTC

CENTCOM announced no new action against Iran on Friday 24 July while Trump was still threatening a larger operation. Iran stopped retaliating by the 25th, and that is the date European gas moved on.

ConflictDeveloping
Key takeaway

The mutual halt on 25 July, not the one-sided announcement a day earlier, cleared the gas premium.

US Central Command announced no new military action against Iran on Friday 24 July, ending strikes that had run on nearly every night of the preceding fortnight . The same day, President Donald Trump told Axios he was weighing an operation larger than any so far, so the stand-down was one-sided at that point. Iran ceased retaliating by Saturday 25 July, and a separate wire account puts the pause after 13 consecutive nights of strikes. 1

The two dates matter to this desk for one reason. A one-sided pause with the President promising more does not clear a war premium; a mutual halt does. European gas priced the difference on the 25th, not the 24th, and the wire's Friday weekday belongs to the CENTCOM announcement rather than to the mutual halt this desk tracks.

The premium was insurance against a Gulf disruption rather than a response to any interrupted European supply, and it had already been priced twice this month on closure claims nobody could verify . Once Iran stopped retaliating, that insurance had nothing left to protect. The fuel leg gave back single digits rather than collapsing, because what unwound was a risk price and not a physical shortfall.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

The United States and Iran had been trading strikes for nearly two weeks. On Friday 24 July, the American military said it had no new attacks planned, and a day later Iran stopped hitting back too. Gas traders in Europe treat any sign that this fight might be cooling down as a reason to sell gas, because part of the price had been added purely on fear of the fighting spreading to the shipping lanes gas tankers use. That fear-based part of the price came out fast, even though nobody yet knows if the halt will hold.

Deep Analysis
Root Causes

TTF prices the probability of a Hormuz disruption into the forward curve without waiting for a cargo to actually be affected, because European gas import capacity depends on marginal LNG cargoes that could be diverted from the Gulf on short notice; that is why an announcement, not a tanker, is what moves the number.

The halt itself was unilateral before it was mutual: CENTCOM's no-new-action statement landed on Friday 24 July, Iran's retaliation did not stop until 25 July. A market that eased 8 per cent before that reciprocity was confirmed was pricing the stronger side's signal ahead of the weaker side's compliance.

What could happen next?
  • Risk

    A single further US strike or Iranian retaliation could reprice the 8 per cent TTF retreat within a session, since the move unwound on an announcement rather than a change in physical supply.

First Reported In

Update #30 · Wind, not peace, sank the German spark

TradingEconomics· 27 Jul 2026
Read original
Different Perspectives
Shipping and insurance underwriters
Shipping and insurance underwriters
Kpler counted five Hormuz transits on 16 August against 31 the previous weekend, while Windward logged four vessels going AIS-dark for up to a month; underwriters price both the attacks and a sanctions register that names their counterparties in unreadable scanned images. Two trackers now measure only the ships that consent to be seen.
China
China
China sits at the end of the payment chain the 14 August designation targets: Iran's shadow banking network exists to convert sanctioned oil sales, much of it to Chinese refiners, into usable funds. Beijing has previously refused to recognise OFAC's jurisdiction over its own entities buying Iranian crude, leaving this designation to test compliance rather than change trade.
Qatar
Qatar
Qatar's foreign ministry denied on 16 August holding any Iranian pilots alive, contradicting Iranian General Mohammad Bagherzadeh's claim that Doha holds three Su-24 aircrew, and said it had recovered only one set of remains. Qatar carries Iran's messages to Washington, and this is a public break with Tehran over a fact only one aircrew inquiry can settle.
Oman
Oman
Oman's shipping-map talks, covering monitoring, environment and maritime services, were publicly decoupled from any Hormuz reopening by Iran's own foreign minister on 17 August. Muscat's mediation channel keeps functioning on the narrow file it was given, while the political decision it hoped to unlock stays with Iran's security council.
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia separately called the recurrence of tanker attacks on Emirati shipping a dangerous escalation, breaking from the UAE's repeated formula. Riyadh speaking in its own name over an attack on another state's vessels signals it reads the pattern differently from Abu Dhabi's flat statements.
United Arab Emirates
United Arab Emirates
The UAE foreign ministry condemned a third ADNOC-linked tanker attack on 15 August in language identical, word for word, to its statement the day before. Three consecutive strikes on Emirati shipping have not moved Abu Dhabi's public wording by a single adjective.