Skip to content
You can now search across every topic, entity and event.What's new
Iran Conflict 2026
17AUG

Blockade hits 121 ships, one holed

3 min read
15:37UTC

CENTCOM redirected 121 commercial vessels and disabled five to enforce the US blockade on 1 June; the container ship MSC Sariska V was holed by an unidentified projectile in the Gulf.

ConflictDeveloping
Key takeaway

The US naval blockade widened to 121 redirected ships even as the negotiating channel froze.

CENTCOM (US Central Command) confirmed on Monday 1 June that it had redirected 121 commercial vessels and disabled five ships to enforce the US blockade, up from the 116 redirections it logged on 30 May 1. CENTCOM is the US military command running operations across The Gulf. It redirected 121 vessels yet disabled only five, a roughly 4% kinetic share of the ships it stopped, which means most traffic is turned by warning rather than by fire.

The container ship MSC Sariska V was holed by an unidentified projectile in the Persian Gulf on 1 June, a large breach above the waterline, with no claim of responsibility 2. It is the third named commercial vessel struck after the Olympic Life and the Lian Star. No party has claimed the strike, so whether it was the IRGC, a proxy, or stray ordnance stays unconfirmed.

A blockade this wide raises war-risk premiums and, for European and Asian consumers, means dearer goods and slower deliveries. It widened on the precise day diplomacy briefly opened and slammed shut, with Iran's 09:56 talk suspension running in parallel above it. The militaries kept doing what they do regardless of the diplomatic whiplash overhead.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

CENTCOM (US Central Command) is the US military's regional command for the Middle East. It has been stopping commercial ships from entering Iranian ports since mid-April 2026, turning them away and in some cases disabling them. By 1 June it had redirected 121 ships and disabled five. A 'disabled' ship means it cannot move under its own power and must be towed, leaving crew stranded on board. Separately, the container ship MSC Sariska V was hit by an unknown projectile while sailing through the Persian Gulf. No country or group has said they did it. This is the third named civilian cargo ship to be hit in the conflict. When no one claims an attack on a merchant vessel, it complicates insurance claims and leaves the ship's operators, crew and cargo owners in legal limbo.

First Reported In

Update #115 · Iran moves first, Trump moves by phone

CBS News· 2 Jun 2026
Read original
Different Perspectives
Shipping and insurance underwriters
Shipping and insurance underwriters
Kpler counted five Hormuz transits on 16 August against 31 the previous weekend, while Windward logged four vessels going AIS-dark for up to a month; underwriters price both the attacks and a sanctions register that names their counterparties in unreadable scanned images. Two trackers now measure only the ships that consent to be seen.
China
China
China sits at the end of the payment chain the 14 August designation targets: Iran's shadow banking network exists to convert sanctioned oil sales, much of it to Chinese refiners, into usable funds. Beijing has previously refused to recognise OFAC's jurisdiction over its own entities buying Iranian crude, leaving this designation to test compliance rather than change trade.
Qatar
Qatar
Qatar's foreign ministry denied on 16 August holding any Iranian pilots alive, contradicting Iranian General Mohammad Bagherzadeh's claim that Doha holds three Su-24 aircrew, and said it had recovered only one set of remains. Qatar carries Iran's messages to Washington, and this is a public break with Tehran over a fact only one aircrew inquiry can settle.
Oman
Oman
Oman's shipping-map talks, covering monitoring, environment and maritime services, were publicly decoupled from any Hormuz reopening by Iran's own foreign minister on 17 August. Muscat's mediation channel keeps functioning on the narrow file it was given, while the political decision it hoped to unlock stays with Iran's security council.
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia separately called the recurrence of tanker attacks on Emirati shipping a dangerous escalation, breaking from the UAE's repeated formula. Riyadh speaking in its own name over an attack on another state's vessels signals it reads the pattern differently from Abu Dhabi's flat statements.
United Arab Emirates
United Arab Emirates
The UAE foreign ministry condemned a third ADNOC-linked tanker attack on 15 August in language identical, word for word, to its statement the day before. Three consecutive strikes on Emirati shipping have not moved Abu Dhabi's public wording by a single adjective.