Skip to content
You can now search across every topic, entity and event.What's new
Iran Conflict 2026
17AUG

Kuwait's airport shuts as Gulf carriers retreat

2 min read
15:37UTC

Kuwait International Airport halted flights after missile and drone attacks, with sirens sounding four times in a single day. Emirates, Etihad, Air Arabia and Flydubai all cut Kuwait services through 20 July.

ConflictDeveloping
Key takeaway

Gulf carriers are cutting Kuwait rotations pre-emptively rather than waiting for the airspace to close.

Kuwait International Airport suspended takeoffs and landings on 18 July after missile and drone attacks, and Kuwait's General Staff said the explosions heard across the country were air defences intercepting hostile targets. Sirens sounded four times that day 1.

Kuwait Airways rescheduled the bulk of its programme. Emirates cancelled eight Dubai to Kuwait rotations on 19 July and two more on 20 July, Etihad Airways dropped EY653 and EY654 on both days, and Air Arabia and FlyDubai cut services too, all citing operational reasons 2. Operations at Kuwait and at Bahrain International Airport were recovering by Monday morning, with passengers told to check flight status before setting out 3.

Iranian drones reached Kuwait's airport for a fourth time on 25 March, on a night when Saudi Arabia intercepted 32 drones and a ballistic missile . Carriers largely held their schedules through those earlier waves. This time they are not waiting for a closure notice before pulling rotations, because an aircraft and crew stranded on a field that shuts without warning costs an airline far more than a cancellation booked a day ahead.

Kuwait works as a short-haul spoke feeding long-haul departure banks at Dubai and Abu Dhabi, flown at high frequency by narrowbodies that turn several times a day. Thinning that feed is the cheapest available hedge for a Gulf carrier, and it is reversible within a day if the airspace settles, which is why the schedule cuts arrived faster than any government advisory did.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

Kuwait's main airport stopped flights after missile and drone attacks, with air-raid sirens sounding four times in one day. Several Gulf airlines, including Emirates, Etihad, Air Arabia and Flydubai, cancelled or cut back flights to Kuwait as a result. If you are flying to or from Kuwait, or connecting through Dubai, Abu Dhabi or Bahrain this week, check your airline's status directly, since schedules were still described as recovering, not fully back to normal, as of Monday morning.

What could happen next?
  • Consequence

    Emirates, Etihad, Air Arabia and Flydubai have all now adjusted Kuwait schedules over the same 48 hours, a wider carrier response than any single earlier Kuwait airport strike drew.

  • Risk

    Bahrain's airport was also affected the same period, so a second Gulf hub disruption alongside Kuwait's raises the chance that regional carriers start rerouting around the Gulf rather than absorbing repeat cancellations.

First Reported In

Update #157 · IAEA takes up Darkhovin as utilities become targets

The National· 20 Jul 2026
Read original
Different Perspectives
Shipping and insurance underwriters
Shipping and insurance underwriters
Kpler counted five Hormuz transits on 16 August against 31 the previous weekend, while Windward logged four vessels going AIS-dark for up to a month; underwriters price both the attacks and a sanctions register that names their counterparties in unreadable scanned images. Two trackers now measure only the ships that consent to be seen.
China
China
China sits at the end of the payment chain the 14 August designation targets: Iran's shadow banking network exists to convert sanctioned oil sales, much of it to Chinese refiners, into usable funds. Beijing has previously refused to recognise OFAC's jurisdiction over its own entities buying Iranian crude, leaving this designation to test compliance rather than change trade.
Qatar
Qatar
Qatar's foreign ministry denied on 16 August holding any Iranian pilots alive, contradicting Iranian General Mohammad Bagherzadeh's claim that Doha holds three Su-24 aircrew, and said it had recovered only one set of remains. Qatar carries Iran's messages to Washington, and this is a public break with Tehran over a fact only one aircrew inquiry can settle.
Oman
Oman
Oman's shipping-map talks, covering monitoring, environment and maritime services, were publicly decoupled from any Hormuz reopening by Iran's own foreign minister on 17 August. Muscat's mediation channel keeps functioning on the narrow file it was given, while the political decision it hoped to unlock stays with Iran's security council.
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia separately called the recurrence of tanker attacks on Emirati shipping a dangerous escalation, breaking from the UAE's repeated formula. Riyadh speaking in its own name over an attack on another state's vessels signals it reads the pattern differently from Abu Dhabi's flat statements.
United Arab Emirates
United Arab Emirates
The UAE foreign ministry condemned a third ADNOC-linked tanker attack on 15 August in language identical, word for word, to its statement the day before. Three consecutive strikes on Emirati shipping have not moved Abu Dhabi's public wording by a single adjective.