Skip to content
You can now search across every topic, entity and event.What's new
Iran Conflict 2026
19AUG

Iran publishes the flattering oil figure

2 min read
18:42UTC

Oil minister Mohsen Paknejad disclosed $18 billion in wartime oil sales, all of it earned before the current blockade closed the sea lane.

ConflictDeveloping
Key takeaway

Iran disclosed pre-blockade oil earnings of $18 billion and no figure at all for the period since.

Iran's oil minister Mohsen Paknejad disclosed $11.5 billion in oil sales between 28 February and 7 April and $6.5 billion between 7 April and 10 July, in remarks Reuters reported on 25 July 1. The combined $18 billion amounts to more than 60% of the oil revenue Iran budgeted for the year, earned across the war's first phase and the ceasefire that followed it.

Both periods close before the fighting resumed on 8 July. Neither says anything about what Iran has sold since the blockade came back into force, and Reuters could attribute no comparable figure to the weeks since; Shana, the oil ministry's own news agency, could not be reached. Any reading of these numbers as Iran shrugging off the present campaign is a reading the numbers do not support.

What they do support cuts against the framing much of the coverage of this war, including ours, has carried. Sanctions, a revoked oil waiver and five months of bombardment did not collapse Iranian oil income across the periods disclosed. That sat alongside genuine domestic damage over the same months, with the free-market rial passing 189,450 toman to the dollar : a state earning hard currency abroad while its citizens' savings evaporated at home.

Selective disclosure of a lagging favourable figure is a communications choice, not a transparency one. Iran ran a comparable pattern through the 1980s Tanker War, publishing aggregate trade totals that survived sanctions while staying silent on the shipment-level detail that would have let outsiders calculate throughput in real time. The number that matters now is the one no Iranian ministry or state outlet has released: sales made since 8 July, with the blockade back in force and Hormuz traffic collapsed. Until that figure appears, whether the blockade is working remains an open question rather than an answered one.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

Iran's oil minister says the country earned $18 billion from oil sales in two separate periods this year, together worth more than 60% of what the government had budgeted to earn from oil for the whole year. That sounds like proof sanctions and blockades are not working. But look closely at the dates: both periods end before 10 July, before the current naval blockade at the Strait of Hormuz began squeezing Iran's oil exports again. So this $18 billion tells us Iran coped well earlier in the war. It tells us nothing about how Iran's oil trade is doing right now, because nobody has published a number for that yet.

Deep Analysis
Root Causes

Iran's ability to move $18 billion of oil in under five months rests on a well-established sanctions-evasion architecture: ship-to-ship transfers in international waters, flag-switching through intermediary vessels, and discounted sales to Chinese teapot refineries that do not report the trade through standard customs channels the way OECD buyers would.

That infrastructure is built for evading financial sanctions, not for moving cargo through a physically blockaded strait; whether it survives a naval blockade at Hormuz, rather than a paperwork blockade in Washington, is precisely the unanswered question the missing post-10-July figure would resolve.

What could happen next?
  • Meaning

    The disclosed figures undercut a pure strangulation narrative for the war's first five months, without saying anything about the current blockade phase.

    Immediate · Assessed
  • Opportunity

    A future disclosure covering the post-10-July period would be the clearest available test of whether the reimposed blockade is actually working.

    Short term · Reported
  • Risk

    Absent a verified figure, both sides can claim vindication, Iran citing resilience and Washington citing blockade pressure, from the same data gap.

    Medium term · Suggested
First Reported In

Update #162 · Munitions, not Iran, halted US bombing

Iran International (citing Reuters)· 26 Jul 2026
Read original
Different Perspectives
UK Maritime Trade Operations
UK Maritime Trade Operations
UKMTO logged six armed men boarding a tanker 136 nautical miles east of Al Mukalla on 20 August and redirecting it toward Somalia. A vessel steered toward the Somali coast reads as an attempted seizure, a distinct hazard from the stand-off strikes the same lane has seen before.
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf
Iran's Majlis speaker received Iraq's Hormuz carve-out request in Baghdad on 19 August, a request that treats passage as Tehran's to grant. Ghalibaf's authority over that grant sits alongside the Revolutionary Guard's separate transit rules, which have moved independently of Iran's foreign ministry before.
Haibat al-Halbousi
Haibat al-Halbousi
Iraq's parliament speaker asked Iran for special consideration on Iraqi Hormuz oil exports during Ghalibaf's 19 August Baghdad visit. Iraq presses the request from a weak position: Iran's central bank is simultaneously demanding Baghdad release Iranian reserves parked in Iraqi accounts.
Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research
Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research
Switzerland's economics ministry updated the Article 21 forms governing lawful Iran money transfers on 19 August, with only the revised forms accepted from 26 August. Bern operates one of the few remaining legal Iran payment channels and has just set a hard cutover on its control point.
Motegi Toshimitsu
Motegi Toshimitsu
Japan's foreign minister said in Muscat on 20 August that Tokyo wants closer coordination with Oman on safe Hormuz and Bab el-Mandeb passage. Japan has no naval presence of its own in the strait, so it is routing the ask through the state negotiating with Iran instead.
Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi
Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi
Oman's foreign minister joined Japan's in Muscat on 20 August to call for intensified coordination on Hormuz and Bab el-Mandeb navigation. Oman also runs the mediation track with Tehran, so the appeal travels through the same channel as the negotiation.