Skip to content
Welcome, thoughtbot's Giant Robots listeners!Start here
Pandemics and Biosecurity
3OCT

Europe's clade I mpox line goes flat

2 min read
13:42UTC

EU and EEA countries reported 129 clade I mpox cases in June, the first month since ECDC began its dedicated bulletin in which the count held level instead of climbing.

ScienceAssessed
Key takeaway

Europe's clade I count stopped climbing in June, on a single month of data in a saturating network.

Countries in the EU and the European Economic Area (EEA) reported 129 clade I mpox cases across nine countries in June, and 22 clade II cases across six, ECDC recorded in its week 29 threats report⁠1. Clade I is the more severe of the two mpox lineages, the one behind the central African emergency declared in 2024; clade II is the milder lineage responsible for the 2022 global outbreak. June is the first reporting month since ECDC began publishing a dedicated monthly clade I bulletin in which the clade I count held roughly level rather than rising.

The twelve-month totals put the June figure in proportion: 829 clade I cases across 18 countries and 921 clade II cases across 18, with 14% of clade I patients and 8% of clade II patients hospitalised, and two deaths recorded⁠2. Around nine in ten cases in both lineages are in men WHO have sex with men.

That concentration is what makes the plateau ambiguous rather than reassuring. clade Ib was confirmed circulating locally in Europe last month among patients with no travel history to Africa, so transmission is domestic and no longer purely imported. In a network with dense sexual mixing, incidence flattens when a wave has saturated the contacts it can reach, and it does so whether or not vaccination or behaviour change contributed. A second month at this level would begin to distinguish the two readings. One month does not.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

mpox, a viral disease related to smallpox, comes in two main types: clade I, which is more severe, and clade II, which is milder. Europe has tracked a rising number of clade I cases for months, but in June the count held steady at 129 cases across nine countries instead of climbing, the first month that has happened since health authorities began a dedicated monthly count.

Deep Analysis
Root Causes

The flat count is the first data point since ECDC identified confirmed local clade Ib transmission among men WHO have sex with men with no African travel history, the mechanism that justified treating clade I as a distinct European surveillance category rather than an imported-case footnote.

Whether the plateau reflects a genuine transmission slowdown or a reporting lag, cases confirmed in June may still be revised upward as delayed laboratory results arrive, cannot yet be separated from a single month of data.

What could happen next?
  • Meaning

    June is the first month since ECDC's dedicated clade I bulletin began that the case count has not increased, though one month cannot confirm a sustained reversal.

  • Risk

    Monthly case figures are typically provisional and can rise as delayed laboratory confirmations arrive, so June's flat count may not hold.

First Reported In

Update #11 · Ebola outruns its own contact tracing

ECDC· 21 Jul 2026
Read original →
Different Perspectives
IGWG co-chair Tovar da Silva Nunes
IGWG co-chair Tovar da Silva Nunes
The Brazilian co-chair closed the eighth pathogen-sharing session on 18 September without an agreed annex text, the second session in a row to end that way. He presented the outcome as continued commitment, with adoption due at the World Health Assembly in May 2027.
Fraport
Fraport
The Frankfurt Airport operator has told staff to watch for fever, hessenschau reported, after six airport workers caught malaria. Germany does not require insecticide spraying of arriving aircraft cabins, and parasite genotyping to trace the source is due at the end of October.
European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control
European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control
ECDC reported the eight Frankfurt Airport malaria cases on 18 September and considers repeated arrivals of infected mosquitoes on aircraft likely. It has not ruled out local mosquitoes, and awaits genotyping due at the end of October.
Pan American Health Organization
Pan American Health Organization
PAHO counted 53,957 measles cases in the Americas by 19 September and is supporting Peru's response in Puno and Arequipa. It warns that October's Señor de los Milagros festivities and Pope Leo XIV's November visit could increase transmission.
Bangladesh Directorate General of Health Services
Bangladesh Directorate General of Health Services
The DGHS recorded 1,030 measles-related deaths and 172,720 suspected cases by 14 September, after a campaign that reached 19.75 million children. Its disease-control director, Halimur Rashid, said further vaccination rounds were expected within two weeks.
Minapharm
Minapharm
The Egyptian drugmaker and its Berlin subsidiary ProBioGen were awarded up to US$16.5m by CEPI on 27 August to take a Bundibugyo vaccine into a Phase 1 trial in Africa. Final manufacture is planned for Cairo, making it CEPI's first Bundibugyo candidate with an African producer.