Skip to content
You can now search across every topic, entity and event.What's new
Iran Conflict 2026
19AUG

Strike halt lands across two days

2 min read
18:42UTC

CENTCOM announced no new action against Iran on Friday 24 July while Trump was still threatening a larger operation. Iran stopped retaliating by the 25th, and that is the date European gas moved on.

ConflictDeveloping
Key takeaway

The mutual halt on 25 July, not the one-sided announcement a day earlier, cleared the gas premium.

US Central Command announced no new military action against Iran on Friday 24 July, ending strikes that had run on nearly every night of the preceding fortnight . The same day, President Donald Trump told Axios he was weighing an operation larger than any so far, so the stand-down was one-sided at that point. Iran ceased retaliating by Saturday 25 July, and a separate wire account puts the pause after 13 consecutive nights of strikes. 1

The two dates matter to this desk for one reason. A one-sided pause with the President promising more does not clear a war premium; a mutual halt does. European gas priced the difference on the 25th, not the 24th, and the wire's Friday weekday belongs to the CENTCOM announcement rather than to the mutual halt this desk tracks.

The premium was insurance against a Gulf disruption rather than a response to any interrupted European supply, and it had already been priced twice this month on closure claims nobody could verify . Once Iran stopped retaliating, that insurance had nothing left to protect. The fuel leg gave back single digits rather than collapsing, because what unwound was a risk price and not a physical shortfall.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

The United States and Iran had been trading strikes for nearly two weeks. On Friday 24 July, the American military said it had no new attacks planned, and a day later Iran stopped hitting back too. Gas traders in Europe treat any sign that this fight might be cooling down as a reason to sell gas, because part of the price had been added purely on fear of the fighting spreading to the shipping lanes gas tankers use. That fear-based part of the price came out fast, even though nobody yet knows if the halt will hold.

Deep Analysis
Root Causes

TTF prices the probability of a Hormuz disruption into the forward curve without waiting for a cargo to actually be affected, because European gas import capacity depends on marginal LNG cargoes that could be diverted from the Gulf on short notice; that is why an announcement, not a tanker, is what moves the number.

The halt itself was unilateral before it was mutual: CENTCOM's no-new-action statement landed on Friday 24 July, Iran's retaliation did not stop until 25 July. A market that eased 8 per cent before that reciprocity was confirmed was pricing the stronger side's signal ahead of the weaker side's compliance.

What could happen next?
  • Risk

    A single further US strike or Iranian retaliation could reprice the 8 per cent TTF retreat within a session, since the move unwound on an announcement rather than a change in physical supply.

First Reported In

Update #30 · Wind, not peace, sank the German spark

TradingEconomics· 27 Jul 2026
Read original
Different Perspectives
UK Maritime Trade Operations
UK Maritime Trade Operations
UKMTO logged six armed men boarding a tanker 136 nautical miles east of Al Mukalla on 20 August and redirecting it toward Somalia. A vessel steered toward the Somali coast reads as an attempted seizure, a distinct hazard from the stand-off strikes the same lane has seen before.
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf
Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf
Iran's Majlis speaker received Iraq's Hormuz carve-out request in Baghdad on 19 August, a request that treats passage as Tehran's to grant. Ghalibaf's authority over that grant sits alongside the Revolutionary Guard's separate transit rules, which have moved independently of Iran's foreign ministry before.
Haibat al-Halbousi
Haibat al-Halbousi
Iraq's parliament speaker asked Iran for special consideration on Iraqi Hormuz oil exports during Ghalibaf's 19 August Baghdad visit. Iraq presses the request from a weak position: Iran's central bank is simultaneously demanding Baghdad release Iranian reserves parked in Iraqi accounts.
Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research
Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research
Switzerland's economics ministry updated the Article 21 forms governing lawful Iran money transfers on 19 August, with only the revised forms accepted from 26 August. Bern operates one of the few remaining legal Iran payment channels and has just set a hard cutover on its control point.
Motegi Toshimitsu
Motegi Toshimitsu
Japan's foreign minister said in Muscat on 20 August that Tokyo wants closer coordination with Oman on safe Hormuz and Bab el-Mandeb passage. Japan has no naval presence of its own in the strait, so it is routing the ask through the state negotiating with Iran instead.
Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi
Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi
Oman's foreign minister joined Japan's in Muscat on 20 August to call for intensified coordination on Hormuz and Bab el-Mandeb navigation. Oman also runs the mediation track with Tehran, so the appeal travels through the same channel as the negotiation.