Skip to content
You can now search across every topic, entity and event.What's new
Iran Conflict 2026
17AUG

315 US wounded; 75% with brain injuries

2 min read
15:37UTC

The Prince Sultan Air Base strike added 15 more wounded, and seventy-five percent of all casualties suffer traumatic brain injuries that have received almost no domestic coverage.

ConflictDeveloping
Key takeaway

Most US wounded have traumatic brain injuries, a long-term burden receiving minimal coverage.

CENTCOM confirmed 13 US service members killed and at least 315 wounded in the Iran conflict as of 29 March 1. Iran's strike on Prince Sultan Air Base on 27 to 28 March wounded 15 more, five seriously. A KC-135 tanker aircraft was hit and caught fire; three to four refuelling aircraft and an E-3 AWACS were damaged.

Buried in the casualty data: 75% or more of the wounded suffer traumatic brain injuries. Blast waves from ballistic missile and drone attacks on fixed bases cause neurological damage without visible wounds. After the 2020 Iranian missile strike on Al Asad Air Base in Iraq, the Pentagon initially reported no casualties, then revised upward to 110 traumatic brain injuries over subsequent months. Independent casualty tracking for US forces does not exist.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

The US has 13 service members killed and at least 315 wounded in the Iran conflict. What has barely been reported is that 75% or more of the wounded have traumatic brain injuries, or TBI. TBI is caused by blast waves from missile and drone explosions. Unlike a broken limb, TBI often has no visible symptoms immediately after the explosion. Symptoms emerge over days, weeks, or months: memory loss, personality changes, chronic headaches, and in some cases permanent neurological damage. In 2020, Iran struck a US base in Iraq and the Pentagon initially said there were no casualties. That was later revised to 110 TBI cases. The current conflict has 315 wounded — and three quarters of them have the same kind of injury.

First Reported In

Update #51 · Iran hits aluminium plants; Hormuz emptying

Al Jazeera· 29 Mar 2026
Read original
Causes and effects
This Event
315 US wounded; 75% with brain injuries
The growing US casualty count, dominated by traumatic brain injuries, creates a long-term veteran healthcare burden that extends well beyond the conflict itself.
Different Perspectives
Shipping and insurance underwriters
Shipping and insurance underwriters
Kpler counted five Hormuz transits on 16 August against 31 the previous weekend, while Windward logged four vessels going AIS-dark for up to a month; underwriters price both the attacks and a sanctions register that names their counterparties in unreadable scanned images. Two trackers now measure only the ships that consent to be seen.
China
China
China sits at the end of the payment chain the 14 August designation targets: Iran's shadow banking network exists to convert sanctioned oil sales, much of it to Chinese refiners, into usable funds. Beijing has previously refused to recognise OFAC's jurisdiction over its own entities buying Iranian crude, leaving this designation to test compliance rather than change trade.
Qatar
Qatar
Qatar's foreign ministry denied on 16 August holding any Iranian pilots alive, contradicting Iranian General Mohammad Bagherzadeh's claim that Doha holds three Su-24 aircrew, and said it had recovered only one set of remains. Qatar carries Iran's messages to Washington, and this is a public break with Tehran over a fact only one aircrew inquiry can settle.
Oman
Oman
Oman's shipping-map talks, covering monitoring, environment and maritime services, were publicly decoupled from any Hormuz reopening by Iran's own foreign minister on 17 August. Muscat's mediation channel keeps functioning on the narrow file it was given, while the political decision it hoped to unlock stays with Iran's security council.
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia separately called the recurrence of tanker attacks on Emirati shipping a dangerous escalation, breaking from the UAE's repeated formula. Riyadh speaking in its own name over an attack on another state's vessels signals it reads the pattern differently from Abu Dhabi's flat statements.
United Arab Emirates
United Arab Emirates
The UAE foreign ministry condemned a third ADNOC-linked tanker attack on 15 August in language identical, word for word, to its statement the day before. Three consecutive strikes on Emirati shipping have not moved Abu Dhabi's public wording by a single adjective.