Skip to content
You can now search across every topic, entity and event.What's new
Iran Conflict 2026
17AUG

Jordan downs three more Iranian missiles

1 min read
15:37UTC

Jordan's armed forces downed three Iranian missiles on Tuesday with no casualties or damage, a separate engagement from the interception two days earlier.

ConflictDeveloping
Key takeaway

Three Iranian missiles downed over Jordan on Tuesday, with no casualties and no damage reported.

Jordan's armed forces downed three Iranian missiles on Tuesday 21 July, with no casualties and no damage reported 1.

This was a separate engagement from the one on 19 July, when Jordanian air defences stopped most of a wave fired at Muwaffaq Salti Air Base . Amman publishes these counts, which is more than most governments under fire are willing to say. It hosts American air and missile defence units in its eastern desert, and it is absorbing strikes aimed at forces it houses rather than forces it commands.

A clean interception leaves nothing to report beyond the number. Jordan has now had two of them inside three days without a casualty, at the same base where American air defence soldiers were killed last week.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

Jordan's armed forces say their air defence systems shot down three Iranian missiles heading for Jordanian territory on Tuesday 21 July. Jordan's armed forces reported no casualties and no material damage. This is separate from an earlier incident on 19 July, when Jordan intercepted eight of ten missiles fired at Muwaffaq Salti Air Base, the base where American soldiers were killed. Separately, Iran's Revolutionary Guard has claimed Jordanian civilians helped Iran target its strikes by supplying intelligence. Jordan has not said anything publicly about that claim, either to confirm or deny it.

Deep Analysis
Root Causes

This is Jordan's second reported interception inside three days: on 19 July, Jordanian air defences intercepted eight of ten missiles fired at Muwaffaq Salti Air Base . The 21 July engagement, three missiles downed with no casualties or damage, is a distinct incident rather than a continuation of the same barrage, and Jordan's own account gives no target for this second attempt.

The unanswered thread across both incidents is the IRGC's claim that Jordanian civilians supplied targeting intelligence for Iran's strikes, which Amman has not addressed. Jordan intercepting further Iranian missiles two days after that claim surfaced, without responding to it, leaves the accusation open rather than resolved.

First Reported In

Update #159 · A second strait closes by radio alone

CNN Arabic· 22 Jul 2026
Read original
Different Perspectives
Shipping and insurance underwriters
Shipping and insurance underwriters
Kpler counted five Hormuz transits on 16 August against 31 the previous weekend, while Windward logged four vessels going AIS-dark for up to a month; underwriters price both the attacks and a sanctions register that names their counterparties in unreadable scanned images. Two trackers now measure only the ships that consent to be seen.
China
China
China sits at the end of the payment chain the 14 August designation targets: Iran's shadow banking network exists to convert sanctioned oil sales, much of it to Chinese refiners, into usable funds. Beijing has previously refused to recognise OFAC's jurisdiction over its own entities buying Iranian crude, leaving this designation to test compliance rather than change trade.
Qatar
Qatar
Qatar's foreign ministry denied on 16 August holding any Iranian pilots alive, contradicting Iranian General Mohammad Bagherzadeh's claim that Doha holds three Su-24 aircrew, and said it had recovered only one set of remains. Qatar carries Iran's messages to Washington, and this is a public break with Tehran over a fact only one aircrew inquiry can settle.
Oman
Oman
Oman's shipping-map talks, covering monitoring, environment and maritime services, were publicly decoupled from any Hormuz reopening by Iran's own foreign minister on 17 August. Muscat's mediation channel keeps functioning on the narrow file it was given, while the political decision it hoped to unlock stays with Iran's security council.
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia separately called the recurrence of tanker attacks on Emirati shipping a dangerous escalation, breaking from the UAE's repeated formula. Riyadh speaking in its own name over an attack on another state's vessels signals it reads the pattern differently from Abu Dhabi's flat statements.
United Arab Emirates
United Arab Emirates
The UAE foreign ministry condemned a third ADNOC-linked tanker attack on 15 August in language identical, word for word, to its statement the day before. Three consecutive strikes on Emirati shipping have not moved Abu Dhabi's public wording by a single adjective.