Skip to content
You can now search across every topic, entity and event.What's new
Iran Conflict 2026
17AUG

Israel's Lebanon security zone goes live

1 min read
15:37UTC

Four IDF divisions occupy a 30km strip while Hezbollah sustains 3,500 strikes; the toll passes 1,000.

ConflictAssessed
Key takeaway

Israel establishes its deepest Lebanon presence since 1982 while Hezbollah maintains a daily rate four divisions cannot suppress.

Israel's 30-kilometre security zone south of the Litani River is now operational. The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) ordered evacuations in 50 villages across southern Lebanon and the Beqaa Valley on Tuesday. Defence Minister Israel Katz issued blanket notices for Beirut's southern suburbs: Bourj el-Barajneh, Hadath, Haret Hreik, and Chiyah. Amnesty International condemned the orders as "overly broad" and "sowing panic" 1.

1,072 people have been killed and 2,966 wounded in Lebanon since 2 March . Thirty-three died in the past 24 hours. Hezbollah has fired 3,500 missiles and drones at Israel since the escalation, roughly 145 per day. Four IDF divisions operating inside Lebanon have not suppressed that rate.

Northern Command officers told reservists to prepare for operations lasting until at least May. The last time Israel held this territory, it stayed for 18 years.

Deep Analysis

In plain English

Israel is occupying a 30km strip of southern Lebanon. The last time Israel held this territory, it stayed for 18 years. Meanwhile, Hezbollah fires roughly 145 rockets at Israel every day, and four Israeli divisions have not stopped them.

Deep Analysis
Escalation

The zone is a de facto occupation. If it persists, Lebanon becomes a secondary front draining resources from Iran.

What could happen next?
  • Consequence

    Zone may persist months based on operational timeline

  • Risk

    Hezbollah's rate suggests prolonged guerrilla resistance

First Reported In

Update #48 · Iran rejects ceasefire; Kharg fortified

Al Jazeera· 26 Mar 2026
Read original
Causes and effects
This Event
Israel's Lebanon security zone goes live
Israel's deepest military presence since 1982-2000 occupation, while Hezbollah retains significant operational capacity.
Different Perspectives
Shipping and insurance underwriters
Shipping and insurance underwriters
Kpler counted five Hormuz transits on 16 August against 31 the previous weekend, while Windward logged four vessels going AIS-dark for up to a month; underwriters price both the attacks and a sanctions register that names their counterparties in unreadable scanned images. Two trackers now measure only the ships that consent to be seen.
China
China
China sits at the end of the payment chain the 14 August designation targets: Iran's shadow banking network exists to convert sanctioned oil sales, much of it to Chinese refiners, into usable funds. Beijing has previously refused to recognise OFAC's jurisdiction over its own entities buying Iranian crude, leaving this designation to test compliance rather than change trade.
Qatar
Qatar
Qatar's foreign ministry denied on 16 August holding any Iranian pilots alive, contradicting Iranian General Mohammad Bagherzadeh's claim that Doha holds three Su-24 aircrew, and said it had recovered only one set of remains. Qatar carries Iran's messages to Washington, and this is a public break with Tehran over a fact only one aircrew inquiry can settle.
Oman
Oman
Oman's shipping-map talks, covering monitoring, environment and maritime services, were publicly decoupled from any Hormuz reopening by Iran's own foreign minister on 17 August. Muscat's mediation channel keeps functioning on the narrow file it was given, while the political decision it hoped to unlock stays with Iran's security council.
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia separately called the recurrence of tanker attacks on Emirati shipping a dangerous escalation, breaking from the UAE's repeated formula. Riyadh speaking in its own name over an attack on another state's vessels signals it reads the pattern differently from Abu Dhabi's flat statements.
United Arab Emirates
United Arab Emirates
The UAE foreign ministry condemned a third ADNOC-linked tanker attack on 15 August in language identical, word for word, to its statement the day before. Three consecutive strikes on Emirati shipping have not moved Abu Dhabi's public wording by a single adjective.